abundance

Its hard to take on a hobby if I can't envision myself profiting from it

11 posts in this topic

I want to one day obtain mastery in something but I am tethered to the idea that its useless if I am not able to make money from it at some point. I've attempted to take on hobbies in the past but gave them up prematurely because of this. 

Does anyone experience this? How did you work past it and learn how to enjoy mastering something for the sake of it? 

Typical Stage Orange thinking. 

Reminds me of my mom. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Maybe focus on building rapid skill acquisition instead of mastery if is just a hobby. Here is a book I enjoyed on the subject. 

The First 20 Hours

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

If you obtain mastery in something you can profit of literally anything. You just have to be creative to find a way to make it profitable, but you have to be creative anyway if you want to live an optimal life, in my opinion.

You can make money being a master stamp collector, nail painter, computer customizer, bonzai tree cutter, you name it. As long as you are good, have passion for your craft, and know how to communicate your passion. People will come. I have seen people make money with the weirdest things.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

17 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Typical Stage Orange thinking. 

Reminds me of my mom. 

I just want the green :(

27 minutes ago, abundance said:

I want to one day obtain mastery in something but I am tethered to the idea that its useless if I am not able to make money from it at some point. I've attempted to take on hobbies in the past but gave them up prematurely because of this. 

Does anyone experience this? How did you work past it and learn how to enjoy mastering something for the sake of it? 

nope but my issue with hobbies etc. is often that i don't like to do stuff that i'm not good at

which is dumb of course because most or everything you're not good at in the beginning and it often sucks until you get better

i think it's some type of perfectionism

i am pursing spiritual things. i cannot make money out of it. i will be middle class my whole life. but i still do it anyway because the satisfaction i get from it is better than anything the money will give me. but the only down fall is that if i get a disease that require a lot of money then  i am fucked

Hehe story of my life. I very much did the same thing for years. Hopped from the one thing to the next because I was always making decisions from the mind and not from the heart. If you are contracted within a survival paradigm because you have not fulfilled those basic needs yet, your decision process tends to work in parallel with that contraction and you tend to perceive things in ways that it relates to fulfilling that survival because that is your highest need. A lot of fear is tied to survival and it drives a lot of your decisions. 

There is no work around. You have to find a way to settle money wise and feel okay in the moment. For example, I got a sales job at Apple and it fulfilled my basic survival needs. That gave me comfort and containment to choose more from the heart as I did not have the fear anymore. And I also enjoyed the job very much as I had to socialize all day long which I enjoyed. Did not feel like working.

That feeling that I was paying my rent, my food, and all the other bills was the containment I needed to get more freedom and emotional expression in other aspects of my life. I could choose more from a wanting energy, rather than a needing to energy, and this makes all the difference. 

Then mastery is something you work towards through having discipline and intention. But most important, love from the heart and a lot of joy. When the decision to achieve mastery comes fully from the mind, It is never a good idea. It has to be about the thing itself, the creation and unfolding of that, the feelings, and not the image of where it leads you. 

Edited by JonasVE12

You can make money off of anything. Don’t limit yourself like this.

"You Create Magic" 

Give me a hobby and I can tell you how to monetize it.

Money will not be the problem. The world is full of abundance and you can make $100k/year from literally anything if you put in the work.

There are people whose full-time job is playing with Lego. There are MULTIPLE different ways to monetize playing with Lego.

You're way too in your own head and already defeating yourself in future hypothetical situations that haven't even happened yet.

Motivation is the main bottleneck. Think about whether the money issue is just a convenient excuse to avoid putting in hard work. Nothing in life is guaranteed. And few things produce immediate results. The best you can do is make educated gambles where the odds are in your favor and hope they work out. And you'll have to learn to be comfortable living with the self-doubt as you do something for months without making any money.

Edited by Yarco

3 minutes ago, Yarco said:

You're way too in your own head and already defeating yourself in future hypothetical situations that haven't even happened yet

Yap

softly into the Abyss...