Jon_Bundesen

Should I drop out of high school to pursue my life purpose?

36 posts in this topic

I want to drop out of high school to pursue my life purpose. I'm currently 16 and my plan is to get a job I can work at while I realize my life purpose.

I'm in my sophomore year (10th grade) and school really doesn't feel right for me and I know that I'm not going to college or university after so why not just drop out now and earn some money for my work instead.

In the life purpose course I only just finished the Me Sheet and I'm about to create my vision.

Any experiences, pros and cons of dropping out and advice would be appreciated :)

Edited by Jon_Bundesen

There's LEVELS to this shit!!!

No.

You might think that building a business / working on your life purpose will be easier than HS but it won't. 

If you want to succeed without having basic HS education you will have to work 8 - 12 hours at a crappy, stressful job while also putting 2 - 8 hours a day into your life purpose. It might sound more appealing than HS but reality is different.

You can still put in 2 - 8 hours a day on your LP even when you're in HS. HS will also teach you (especially you) how to push through, since you probably hate it. Basic stage blue discipline is still needed (to some degree). 

The upside of HS is - if you learn how to socialize you can have lots of sex and get some of your survival needs in check before you go all out on the higher stuff.

Also, without HS education you will often feel like a failure which others will affirm. Which will stop only after you get some business success.

If you really can't stand HS then transfer to online school and meet your social needs through going to clubs on weekends :D

TLDR: If you aren't able to understand the HS material (you haven't really talked about your reasoning, so I assume this is a part of the problem) you don't have enough self mastery to become successful at your LP / business. You also will benefit from the socialization aspect of HS.

Edited by Michal__

You need to finish high school. As for college, you can think about maybe not going to put the time towards life purpose, and to save thousands of dollars in student loans.

@Jon_Bundesen

There is no reason to hurry in life and you could use that time that you are studying to start loving information for the sake that it can be useful for your life and not, because you "need" to learn it.

You can do whatever you think that is right thing to do and you should trust your inner guindance after all, but don't use that as excuse to not think things carefully and thoroughly.

From curiosity what is the thing that you are "building" your life into?

Who told you that "others" are real?

if you want to drop out of high school, fine- go get your GED. You don't have to go through all of highschool, if you're smart enough to take the GED test and pass it, you should do it and get on with your life. 

@Michal__:

I do get what your saying and it makes a lot of sense but would there be anything bad about getting lower grades to focus more energy toiwards stuff I really care about like my: values, principles, goals?

Also, without HS education you will often feel like a failure which others will affirm. Which will stop only after you get some business success.

To the quote: I actually felt like that would happen if I stopped high school.

@Terell Kirby: Yeah that was also what I was thinking

@Kksd74628: Most of the time I just feel so bored In school because I really don't care about the subject.

@tlowedajuicemayne: In europe saddly I don't think you can get a GED but after I'm done with high school I will be 18 so that may be good because then I can do almost anything I want

2 minutes ago, Jon_Bundesen said:

@Michal__:

I do get what your saying and it makes a lot of sense but would there be anything bad about getting lower grades to focus more energy toiwards stuff I really care about like my: values, principles, goals?

To the quote: I actually felt like that would happen if I stopped high school.

@Terell Kirby

It's ok to get bad grades in HS. Especially if it allows you to learn something better (eg. read something from Leo's booklist or read business related books) or even do some freelancing work.

Just don't underestimate how much you have to study to not fail a class / not fail your finals. Preferably study for ~30 minutes during the school year and cram before your finals (the craming will work better because you build the momentum from studying 30m a day). Since you said you're in Europe I assume that after your final year of HS you will have to complete finals.

You're not dropping out of high school to pursue your life purpose, you're dropping out of school to find your life purpose. Those are very different. One is like jumping off a cliff with a parachute. The other is like jumping off a cliff and then trying to assemble your parachute on the way down.

You have the more free time right now than you likely will at any point in your life in the future. Take advantage of it and coast in school without having to have a job or pay rent for as long as you can. You've got like 6 hours every night on weeknights and your entire weekends to build skills and figure out your life purpose.

Not having a high school diploma will seriously screw you up later in life. Even most basic jobs like being a garbage collector or bus driver will require that you're a high school graduate. If your life purpose doesn't end up being something you can turn into a business to earn a living then you're gonna be really unhappy.

Edited by Yarco

@Michal__:

Preferably study for ~30 minutes during the school year and cram before your finals 

Do you mean study for 30 min every day or something else?

@Yarco: I do see what you mean

@Jon_Bundesen

First of all you need to find out - that if you drop out of school now and you would like in future to go back to school learning things and educate yourself - can you do that or is that option denied. Also because it is last year why just don't pass it and that leaves you more possibilities. You should aim to maximize your possibilities, because your mind may and most likely will change a lot from the mindset you have right now.

Secondly you should make promise to life long learning from books, youtube videos, contemplation and free materials in internet, because that will help you to build awesome life that is worth living.

Also remember that school is about developping yourself like in game you build your character so it can effortlessly perform from challenges that may and will come. Being at school usually is best to build strong friendships and maybe even love with the boy/girlfriend. As @Yarco said you will never in your life have as much free time to work your personal development and you should use that youth to continue to maybe college if that is even possibility to you anymore.

Basicly you have nothing to lose if you use even 5 more years to educate yourself to wise adult, because you could use that time idling and thinking about the thing you really are passionate in life and maybe educating is neccesity in it and wouldn't you be sad if you missed your dream career only, because you tried to "save" your time. In reality you save lot of time from thinking your life purpose when your mind is already active from studying, but when you stop learning your mind will get lazy.

If you ask my honest opinion about should you quit your school and not educate yourself to college or university I say that if you can't explain to me easily what is the thing you really are passionate about right now you should not quit and I would recommend you to continue your studying as you have chance.

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Kksd74628: I see what you are saying maybe it's because the real meaningful things school teaches you aren't direct and more indirect like being yourself and not trying to become popular and so forth. Btw l still got 2 and a half years left before I finish high school.

Look there are a lot of radically different paths one can take in life, but there is a reason it's considered a unanimously terrible decision to drop out of high school.

Don't be a dumbass. Just finish it while trying to enjoy it the best you can. It will fly by faster than you realize.

Also high school isn't even technically a fulltime thing. You're only there 5-6 hours of the day. If you want to make money there is still plenty of time to get a part-time job after school and/or on the weekends to save up. Not to mention you'll get to keep it all to yourself since you shouldn't have any expenses at your age.

If you drop out it will actually even be harder to get a job at your age if you're not in school.

Employers look at people without high school diplomas like lepers.

hrhrhtewgfegege

If you wanna refine your values, perhaps you could look for some high school programme that would give you scholarship and allow you to travel abroad? That's what I did in 11th grade and I do not regret it, it really shaped my view and changed my life choices.

@Medhansh: I guess I will go with high school mainly because of the social life plus I found out a lot about my shadow side through classmates.

@Roy: Yes

@bejapuskas: I think there is one program at my school but it's just about getting better and more advanced in the basic subjects...

Edited by Jon_Bundesen

look, if you think you're gonna be disciplined enough to discipline yourself day in and day out to reach the final destination, by all means, do it.

but if you think, you need "External" discipline, like high school, university or college. you need to stay in there while you're pursuing your passion at the same time.

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

If you take the self actualization path you'll realize going along it how you could have better used the time you had in highschool,both in terms of social interactions and education.The best advice I can give you is to work on your psychological foundations so that you can be a functional man and be able to easily satisfy your primary needs as soon as possible.Work to solve your limiting beliefs and do shadow work to solve your childhood traumas.

When you'll finish highschool you want to be ready to easily be able to get laid and have social skills to befriend people. If you are like most people, you need those two aspects solved or you'll lose time trying to catch up later in life.It will only backfire on you and make you waste time along the way.To effectivly work on your purpose you need to be able to retain information as efficienciently as possible, highschool is a perfect playground to learn those skills by yourself.

Start taking responsibilities,be honest to yourself even and especially if it hurts,learn to love your self,take care of your body and you'll become a healthy confident men by the time you're out of highschool.Then you really can start thinking about actualizing your life purpose. Now you can start to slowly exploring it,but believe me you won't go far if you don't focus on the essentials before everything else.

I'm 20 and still I haven't solve them fully,no need to say how much mental energy I'm spending on them.