Thestarguitarist14

Leo saying the N word in a video

121 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Apologies if it offended you. I was doing a very honest stream of consciousness in that video.

I might take that video down to avoid further offense.

You could just bleep out that one word instead of scaping all of the video?

8 minutes ago, Average Investor said:

@Leo Gura You could go into the youtube editor and it lets you add sound to an old video. You could just add a small sound effect there if you wanted to remove that piece.

I second this... this video was my first introduction to this channel and seriously changed my life. 

I'm black and this phenomenon is quite interesting to me. No thoughts one way or another though for what it's worth.

Racial slurs are an interesting concept, are saying them from an investigatory perspective still considered hurtful? 

This also ties into historical contexts, 2015 is a different time than we are now. We're in an era where we seek to find objective morality; is such a thing possible? What if our actions/words/thoughts today are considered intolerant 20 years from now, does that make us objectively intolerant today? 

Edited by LordFall

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

24 minutes ago, BenG said:

No use of that word deserves a defense.

Why not? 

21 minutes ago, LordFall said:

I'm black and this phenomenon is quite interesting to me. No thoughts one way or another though for what it's worth.

Racial slurs are an interesting concept, are saying them from an investigatory perspective still considered hurtful? 

This also ties into historical contexts, 2015 is a different time than we are now. We're in an era where we seek to find objective morality; is such a thing possible? What our actions/words/thoughts today are considered intolerant 20 years from now, does that make us objectively intolerant today? 

I liked your take. Awesome. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

26 minutes ago, LordFall said:

This also ties into historical contexts, 2015 is a different time than we are now. We're in an era where we seek to find objective morality; is such a thing possible? What our actions/words/thoughts today are considered intolerant 20 years from now, does that make us objectively intolerant today? 

The world is 1000% intolerant just go to the southern part of the U.S and the southern part of any part of the country, the world for that matter.

Racial equality is still a huge issue.  This is why we have to hold others accountable.  Perhaps Leo has a shadow in race?  People have lost their livelihoods for saying this word, last year’s NASCAR champion lost his job, sponsors, and was banned for one year for saying this and lost his homes.  

It’s a word that shouldn’t be in your vocabulary.  Sure, it’s one thing if you are in the middle of a story and you say it in context, but to put it in a video, especially in the context as he was judging others suggests racism on his part.

Edited by Thestarguitarist14

9 minutes ago, BenG said:

It would be below me to even have that conversation.

Not judging by your previous posts. 

6 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

in context, but to put it in a video, especially in the context as he was judging others suggests racism on his part.

I apologize that I was a bit harsh towards you initially and I understand what you mean (better now). I see your point. 

10 minutes ago, BenG said:

Well damn. I'm officially owned. ?

Looks like you missed the point. 

The video is offensive and it should be removed, but in Leo's defence he was being honest about his own judgements which requires some balls to do, and in a less direct way it is good to admit that you are racist. I'm not saying Leo is racist in the way that he is consciously against black people but still unconsciously so in ways like all white people including me. White Egos still see the world's racist power structure as beneficial and have an unconscious bias in favour of it. I will admit that I have also judged black people in my mind while thinking the n-word. It's not good and I strive and work to not do it, but it is better to be conscious of it and admit it than to lie to other people and to yourself like many neo-liberals do, that they are not racist because they donate a lot of money to war child or something and post some woke infographics on social media.

Edited by Intense

2 minutes ago, Intense said:

but it is better to be conscious of it and admit it than to lie to other people and yourself like many neo-liberals do, that they are not racist because they donate a lot of money to war child or something and post some woke infographics on social media.

2 minutes ago, Intense said:

The video is offensive and it should be removed,

I haven't rewatched the whole video but wasn't the point of the exercise not to let words have an emotional effect on us? You can still recognize the problems with the word in a social context and act appropriately. When it elicits so many emotional reactions for so many people isn't it appropriate to say it for the sake of consciousness and introspection? It seems to me that what contributes to the perpetuation of racism is all the gut-level, reactions and defensive argumentations people have, that seems to lead to unconscious denial and repression because all of us are racist to a degree and are forced to take sides and defend ourselves into a position of not being a racist. 

We as a society can't move in accordance with the Tao if we can't honestly introspect our contradicting beliefs/feelings in this way. 

So my basic claim is: there are contexts in which it is okay to say the n word.

Curious about your thoughts.

2 hours ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

I don’t know what made him believe that it was okay to say this.

Stop being such a triggered snowflake ffs.

Everyone has had racist thoughts during his life at some point, Leo is not a saint above us. Keep in mind it was a judgement made during his lifetime when maybe he was still immature. The video itself is over 7 years old. Plus it was a totally honest assesment about judgements he made during his life. Judegements are not supposed to be pretty nor "high consciouss" stuff.

23 minutes ago, Intense said:

work to not do it, but it is better to be conscious of it and admit it than to lie to other people and to yourself like many neo-liberals do, that they are not racist because they donate a lot of money to war child or something and post some woke infographics on social media.

Can you explain this sentence again? 

I did not understand what it meant. Aren't liberals the ones who aren't racist at all? 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I might take that video down to avoid further offense

Please man dont'. It is honestly one of your best basic self-development video and it has helped me and probably thousands more A LOT. If you really do not want just edit it and reupload it without the N word part or keep it somehwere where we can still see it (not youtube though).

Throwing away such wisdom for a single word would be such a waste.

31 minutes ago, Karmadhi said:

Stop being such a triggered snowflake ffs.

Everyone has had racist thoughts during his life at some point, Leo is not a saint above us. Keep in mind it was a judgement made during his lifetime when maybe he was still immature. The video itself is over 7 years old. Plus it was a totally honest assesment about judgements he made during his life. Judegements are not supposed to be pretty nor "high consciouss" stuff.

Why don’t you stop being racist?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I might take that video down to avoid further offense.

Maybe just put a description underneath the video? 

Like the Vaush did when he used it tactically. 

Don't attack each other over this.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

Why don’t you stop being racist?

I am unconsciously racist to an extent because of unconscious indoctrination, could you help me not be racist? I hope you see that my question is sincere.

Edited by Koeke

Just now, Koeke said:

I am unconsciously racist to an extent because of unconscious indoctrination, could you help me not be racist?

We all are. 

Just try to be aware of the thoughts, notice how logically it's stupid and how you feel when you think that. 

10 minutes ago, Opo said:

We all are. 

Just try to be aware of the thoughts, notice how logically it's stupid and how you feel when you think that. 

Yes, I know. I want @Thestarguitarist14  to realize racism is unconscious and you can't just wish it away by demonizing it.