How to be wise

Impressive technology from Ancient Greece

6 posts in this topic

Seems like the Ancient Greeks were much smarter than we thought. They had some very advanced technology.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Ancient Greece was home to some of the most actualized and forward thinking (for thier time) people in all of world history. Athens was not only the brithplace if democracy, but one of the birthplaces of philosophy (and by extension, science).

I'm not sure if technological achievement should be the bar that we use to evaluate earlier cultures (or at least it shouldn't be the primary way of doing so).

None of this is to take away from the ingenuity behind some of the technology the Greeks were able to employ. Between the video above and Archedemes Claw, it's very cool very impressive stuff.

Actually as someone interested in the history behind computers and computer science, this kind of thing is right up my alley.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

15 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

Ancient Greece was home to some of the most actualized and forward thinking (for thier time) people in all of world history. Athens was not only the brithplace if democracy, but one of the birthplaces of philosophy (and by extension, science).

I'm not sure if technological achievement should be the bar that we use to evaluate earlier cultures (or at least it shouldn't be the primary way of doing so).

None of this is to take away from the ingenuity behind some of the technology the Greeks were able to employ. Between the video above and Archedemes Claw, it's very cool very impressive stuff.

The Colossus of Rhodes was also a very interesting and ancient wonder if the world for it's time. Pretty incredible they could build something like that so long ago with what would not be considered incredibly primitive. 

I feel the same way about Aztecs and Mayans.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I remember a flashy looking 3D Holo image, looking a lot like a ceremony conjured with fire by priests.

Different tech, same results to the crowd.

This goes into decades of research and theory behind the mechanism:

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.