DieFree

Jordan Peterson, outraged over diversity efforts, quits tenured professorship

94 posts in this topic

The human mind is masterful at compartmentalization.

You can be an enlightened rapist and rationalize it to yourself.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Why does JP, who is a very intelligent and highly educated psychologist, rail against the liberal and progressive movements?  Why is he afraid of changes happening in our world and why doesn't someone like him not have as much genuine compassion as those who are Orange/Green, solid Green, or above? 

Edited by Hardkill

3 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Why does JP, who is a very intelligent and highly educated psychologist, rail against the liberal and progressive movements?  Why is he afraid of changes happening in our world and why doesn't someone like him not have as much genuine compassion as those who are Orange/Green, solid Green, or above? 

Because he is a pseudo intellectual. A true intellectual would have higher wisdom. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

15 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Because he is a pseudo intellectual. A true intellectual would have higher wisdom. 

Well, I wonder what things influenced him to not become a true intellectual?

Edited by Hardkill

8 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Not everyone has to support or understand higher stages to still be productive or influential in the world. Intelligence is dynamic, not linear. You're assuming that people ought to owe something, in the way you're orienting your attitude.

Green may very well be the next stage and completely necessary, but that doesn't mean it's immune to criticism, even from below.

In case you haven't noticed there are progressive and liberals that are as batshit insane and mentally unhinged as confederate flag waving right-wingers.

hrhrhtewgfegege

5 minutes ago, Roy said:

Not everyone has to support or understand higher stages to still be productive or influential in the world. Intelligence is dynamic, not linear. You're assuming that people ought to owe something, in the way you're orienting your attitude.

Green may very well be the next stage and completely necessary, but that doesn't mean it's immune to criticism, even from below.

In case you haven't noticed there are progressive and liberals that are as batshit insane and mentally unhinged as confederate flag waving right-wingers.

yeah, but there are WAY MORE confederate flag waving right-wingers who are insane and primitive than progressive or liberals who are crazy.

In any case, I wonder why JP still has a big Green shadow.

23 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

In any case, I wonder why JP still has a big Green shadow.

It may be that he never confronts it or develops past where he is now. He will probably die more or less as he is. That's ok.

hrhrhtewgfegege

21 minutes ago, Roy said:

It may be that he never confronts it or develops past where he is now. He will probably die more or less as he is. That's ok.

That’s very sad. 

4 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I think your description of his personality is weird as well. His psychology is just rambling with some Jung stuff thrown in here and there. 

It's not that my definition of academia is weird, it's just that I hold academicians to a very high standard that Peterson doesn't reach. 

I have a serious respect for Jordan's academic work. His understanding of the evolutionary relationship between perception, cognition and narrative is really worth trying to wrap your head around. It can broaden your understanding of how your mind constructs reality based on survival, of how language and culture is formed, of the various stages of human cognitive development etc.

It's true that he tends to ramble a lot when he isn't constrained by somebody who can actively engage with him, but Lawrence Krauss is able to keep that in check here (he deliberately read all his work to prepare for this discussion and served as a critical but charitable mediator for the audience). I highly recommend this video if you want to challenge your perception of him:

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

2 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Because there is a real and danger in leaving excess progressives do their thing unchecked, so the push-back imo is totally warranted, maybe not in the format he is putting it out, but it needs to happen.

Progressives are playing around and pressuring archetypal structures, deconstructing them ect,. That wont work ofc, it will only resurrect them and possess people leading to more division and very potentially bloodshed.

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I have a serious respect for Jordan's academic work. His understanding of the evolutionary relationship between perception, cognition and narrative is really worth trying to wrap your head around. It can broaden your understanding of how your mind constructs reality based on survival, of how language and culture is formed, of the various stages of human cognitive development etc.

It's true that he tends to ramble a lot when he isn't constrained by somebody who can actively engage with him, but Lawrence Krauss is able to keep that in check here (he deliberately read all his work to prepare for this discussion and served as a critical but charitable mediator for the audience). I highly recommend this video if you want to challenge your perception of him:

I'll look into that. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The human mind is masterful at compartmentalization.

You can be an enlightened rapist and rationalize it to yourself.

Bruh you just pointed out a massive hole in my self Deception mechanisms.

I compartmentalize SO much and abuse my knowledge of relativism, Metaphysics, Epistemology and such to compartmentalize reality so much to make me feel better...

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It is silly to asusme that academic excellence and bad political takes are mutually exclusive.

And it's not silly at all to assume that you have the right political position.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

6 hours ago, Hardkill said:

yeah, but there are WAY MORE confederate flag waving right-wingers who are insane and primitive than progressive or liberals who are crazy.

Because the world is balanced and liberals and progressives hold more power, so there's less of a need for them to keep that balance.

If their number grows we experience sudden social changes.

12 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

I'm not sure about this, but maybe it is the case for Americans. I didn't have a role model growing up, and still kinda don't.

You might not have had role models, but you did have "important others" who socialized you into different cultures, like your parents. And then probably Leo who socialized you into whatever this is, new-agey psychedelic culture.

Even if you don't hold Leo as a role mode, it is what has happened.

12 minutes ago, Girzo said:

You might not have had role models, but you did have "important others" who socialized you into different cultures, like your parents. And then probably Leo who socialized you into whatever this is, new-agey psychedelic culture.

Even if you don't hold Leo as a role mode, it is what has happened.

Sounds like something JP would say :D

Anyway, I can confirm the general concept. I have come to this conclusion too.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

1 hour ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Sounds like something JP would say :D

It's sociology 101, I believe every social science student learns that at the University.

https://youtu.be/eBw_R6TJt90

This is a video discussing Peterson's views with a response from JP.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

16 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

This was surprisingly good watch :D