DManKee

Are Long form conversations good for learning?

15 posts in this topic

Even though I've read over 140 books on all manners of psychology, philosophy, personal development, for the past year or so I've been listening/watching 1+ hours a day of long form youtube videos, listening to podcasts and watching many documentaries on any topic imaginable instead of reading or listening to audio books. I personally feel more engaged with this type of content especially visual documentaries. However I'm not sure if I'm somehow not learning at that deep level which sitting through a 12 hour book requires. What are your opinions especially on long conversations videos? Could they be as good as reading? Should I reincorporate reading or audio books? 

Some of the channels I follow are:

1) Leo (of course! Listened to at least 400-600 hours in the past couple of years)

2) rebel wisdom

3) Joe Rogan

4) Rich Roll Podcast

5) Kurt Jaimungal

6) Soft white underbellies

7) We plants are happy plants (Terence McKenna talks mostly)

8) Alan Watts Talks

9)  many documentary channels 

NOTE: Frankly I stopped reading because it felt like a chore I placed on myself. When I do youtube, podcasts it doesn't feel so much like a chore maybe it has to do with the fact that I have ADHD and books just don't captivate my attention as well?

Thank you! ♥️

I am with you there because I also gobble up a lot of information and listen/watch a lot of material.

Honestly, I would just trust that your natural interest automatically guides you towards learning the things you are interested in learning about, and yes, you are learning a lot. Our minds tend to want to seek confirmation and evidence that what we're doing is useful and meaningful. You have to trust that you don't need to be like a scholar writing everything down in order to learn about new things. I think you can learn that way more effectively if you want your learning to be very purposeful and directed, but it is also fine to just relax and listen to material or watch it and trust that you're learning a lot of it simply through osmosis. You may not know what exactly you've learned on a conscious level, but it will siphon through to your unconcsious and root itself there; Especially if you have your personal life experience there to back up those things that are being talked about.

I must admit I'm also trying to convince myself a little bit because I sometimes also have insecurities like this, haha :D

And yes: conversation-type content also works really great for learning stuff

Edited by Nightwise

Instead of trying to make the right decision, make your decisions right.

I think long-form communication is good for converting people to ways of thinking or particular complex ideologies.

When you watch someone like Joe Rogan, Twitch streamers like Destiny, or anyone else every week, you form a parasocial relationship where you start to see him as a friend and someone who has your best interest at heart. They aren't just messengers of information like a news anchor, there's a bond and level of trust there.

It's basically a form of propaganda that can form strong cult-like followings. They might discuss different topics every week, but there's always some common underlying thread they're trying to get across to you.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending who it is and how they use it. You can use long-form conversations to make someone a capitalist or anti-capitalist, or a conspiracy theorist, or a white nationalist, or a member of antifa, or a Christian or an atheist, if they listen to you long enough.

I'm in the process of starting to script episodes for my own podcast and accompanying Youtube (and other platforms) show at the moment because I think audio/video is probably a far easier way to reach people and far less competitive than blogs and traditional websites. It's probably the most effective form of media available right now, whether you have a message or a product to sell.

Edited by Yarco

@DManKee I mostly listen to youtube too. I think main benefit from reading is developing focus - it's almost like meditation. I like audio format because I can listen while doing chores or riding a bike. Podcast format is more 'raw' than books and it can give better understanding what person really thinks. Conversations are really good in this regard. Books are lacking in nonverbal communication.

@Yarco

24 minutes ago, Yarco said:

It's basically a form of propaganda that can form strong cult-like followings. They might discuss different topics every week, but there's always some common underlying thread they're trying to get across to you.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending who it is and how they use it. You can use long-form conversations to make someone a capitalist or anti-capitalist, or a conspiracy theorist, or a white nationalist, or a member of antifa, or a Christian or an atheist, if they listen to you long enough.

Yes, this happened to me at the beginning of the pandemic as I became swept up in the London Real Fiasco. At the time I wasn't even aware how manipulative and wrong he was about covid. I was thinking: here's a guy who cares about what's going on! How wrong I was! It also happened to me with Infinite waters who started supporting conspiracy theories during the pandemic.

It is a real problem and it's not always so easy to know who to trust. There is definitely danger of fanaticism and becoming paradigm locked. I often ask myself this now. Am I becoming too attached to Youtuber X's ideology? What function is it serving me? Am I evolving in my understanding or just spinning my wheels in the mud?

Thank you! ♥️

Edited by DManKee

I think they both have certain pros/contras, I think on good podcasts and longer talks (you mentioned some great ones) you can expand your horizon faster cause you will get exposed to a lot of ideas and perspectives. Rebel Wisdom is a great one and in the last time I also watched a lot of Aubrey Marcus Podcast and Theories of Everything. But for me reading is a deeper journey into a topic and you will learn more, cause you stick longer with a topic and think about it in the process. How did you manage to read 140 books if its a struggle for you? :D

@Cireeric If I'm honest it came from a pain of feeling worthless, not good enough and feeling like I'd achieved nothing in my life (not true btw I was at the time a very accomplished photographer but never made any money from it).

I forced myself 1 hour a day and slowly increased it to the point when the pandemic hit a year and a half later I was reading 2+ hours 5 days a week. I learned a lot but ultimately it felt like a chore and after 2 years I finally could take it no more. Now it's even hard for me to listen to an audiobook since I loose focus after like a minute and no longer feel motivated to pick up a book. 

Edited by DManKee

@DManKeeGood that you are able to see this now. I would suggest you to make a pause off reading and then try to build a healthy relationship with reading again. Start with the books that really interest you and dont force you to read it but learn to enjoy it again.

It's all good stuff, but for serious intellectual understanding books are irreplaceable. You will rarely get that same depth in a talk, even my talks.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's all good stuff, but for serious intellectual understanding books are irreplaceable. You will rarely get that same depth in a talk, even my talks.

I’ve always suspected that. I learn better and am more satisfied with the information from books than from talks.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

Speaking from my own experience here. I spent years eating up all the knowledge I could find on spirituality, psychology, listening to long form talks, etc. For a while it fulfilled me in some way but eventually I started to hunger for something deeper. Get in touch with life, thats the deepest way to learn!

Edited by tlowedajuicemayne
too much talking

@Tim Ho I guess I've used it all as an means of escapism from actually meditating or engaging with people. I'm a student so I have a lot of time to dedicate to reading or other activities. Actually reading and learning has benefited me hugely. I've become a better student, healthier in every aspect and I understand reality better. However about last year I finally became aware of how I use learning as an escape from interacting with people and engaging with life. I have to at some point face this issue but not as of yet as I feel at 23 I'm still very young and I should focus on passing all my studies first and finding work.

Thank you!