melodydanielluna

'Deep Work' by Cal Newport

9 posts in this topic

Have you read it?  What do you think?

Here are my thoughts:

I write pieces that make the reader think.

www.melodydanielluna.com

@Adodd @Human Mint Thanks guys! 

You know what's funny about committing to deep work?  Is how people think you're cRaZy for letting shallow work go?

So many people are telling me I CAN'T GET RID OF SOCIAL MEDIA.

And, like, you can.  And I feel it has been one of the best things for my creative development and my personal/spiritual development. :)

I write pieces that make the reader think.

www.melodydanielluna.com

deliberate practice is full of shit. if u wanna be a master at what u do then u should stay far away from deliberate practice

Edited by itachi uchiha

@Adodd to be a  master in a field u must love the subject and feel a profound connection to it. your love for the field should come from the bottom of the heart .or u can also be a master by choice. u need to practice just for the love of it. u practice because u love to practice.  even if you are artifically trying to master a field, u should practice or work on it for the sake of working on it.u practice for the sake of practice. a master practice it not to get better at it or to improve but because practicing it is deeply meaningful and fun. it is understood that loving the practice is in the top tier of things that affect your performance in the long run. in this practice u push within 5 % out of your comfort zone. it is found out that if u push within 5% out of your comfort zone u will be in flow state and u will be happy about your pushing

deleberate practice is the opposite of it. in dp u practice it only for improving it . u want to improve and that is why u are practicing it. dp does not care if u are in love with the practice. all u need to do is apply dp principles.this is a problem. if u do dp u will be a good worker , u will be a good cog in a wheel but u will never be a master.dp is also about pushing far out of your comfort zone.so it is painful. if it is pleasurable it is not deleberate practice which is problamatic

in the short run deleberate practice is better but in the long run traditional practice is better.

I read it, i find better to focus on simple things like doing the Pomodoro Technique and rise the amounts of work slowly month to month, this is how i was able to study for 4hs + 6 days a week after a year of training.

The overall point of the book is to get your dopamine baseline levels low so you dont fell bad when focus on hard things. And also you need to accept that life is bored.

@melodydanielluna thank you, this is inspiring, i mean watching you on social media ;) felt pretty social. 

i mean you only share what is essential in that video, it feels good, to be reminded on how important that focus is. it motivates me to get back to that mindset, too. letting distractions be distractions.

so thinking about buying yet another book… although i’ll try how i can reach that mindset maybe with your advices first. thanks for the motivation a lot! thanks for sharing!

(i’m also getting back on with yoga ???)

Edited by mememe