levani

free will question

10 posts in this topic

daniel ingram in mastering the core teachings of buddha wrote "rather than accepting our current level of intellectual, emotional, and paychological development as being beyond our power to change we consciously and explicitely adopt the empowering view that we can work with these aspects of our lives and change them for the better" and what about laziness as well ? is that not free will to change our laziness or if i consciously lift my hand up is that not a decision i can make ?

27 minutes ago, levani said:

what about laziness as well ? is that not free will to change our laziness or if i consciously lift my hand up is that not a decision i can make ?

It seems to be free will. There's no problem with that. Keep lifting up your hand. And when understanding comes, keep lifting up your hand.

so "I" can change my laziness consciously ?

i CAN choose to discipline myself or train awareness and go on a diet to lose weight or approach women on the street, i CAN choose to do those things right ?

i = awareness = present sensation

"Your ego has about as much control over what goes on as a child sitting next to his father in a car with a plastic steering wheel."

Alan Watts

What happens, simply happens. It's not you who's doing it, but it's also not happening to you. You are the entire process.

"Doing" and "happening" are one and the same process.  It seems that this process is divided into what you are doing and what is happening to you, but this division is not real.

But you must understand that whether you realize this or not makes no difference to what's going on.

Go ahead, loose weight, approach women on the street, do whatever you woud like to do. 

Because whether you do that or whether you sit at home and rot away on reddit or whatever - both are the cosmic process, both are happening and doing simultaneously, and neither. You see? 

6 hours ago, levani said:

is that not free will to change our laziness or if i consciously lift my hand up is that not a decision i can make ?

Lifting your hand is not free will, deciding to lift your hand is free will. There's a difference. One is actuality, one is potentiality.

For the word nerds: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/will#English

All stories and explanations are false.

@Michal__ the awareness / higher consciousness / one whos aware now of shit happening

It's like we are avatars in a video game. We seem to have some choices, but not every choice. Choices are already laid out for us within the game by the programmer. The results of those choices are already planned out to, but to know the result, you have to play the game.

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

~10% of the time you are aware, meaning the other 90% you are sleeping or in a hypnotic state.

8 hours ago, levani said:

@Michal__ the awareness / higher consciousness / one whos aware now of shit happening

Do you see this awareness?