Yonkon

Are suppressed memorys real?

23 posts in this topic

@Yonkon I understand there is correct information promoting the anti repressed memory stance.

I believe said correct information is that there have been many incidents in therapeutic scenarios where a client has come to believe that they have remembered an abusive event, when in fact it is not actual a memory, but an imagined event. Hence, this has led to some innocent people being falsely accused of perpetuating abuse.

However, I strongly disagree with the idea that memories do not get repressed. I myself suffer from serious dissociation. And I often access new memories that I know to have happened, but for many years of my life I have been able to recall, or even know occurred at all. Hence, from anecdotal experience I understand, at least for myself, that it is false to claim that the theory of repressed memories is untrue.

Further, dissociative disorders are not uncommon. And, intrinsic to them all are repressed memories. Hence, that provides evidence that repressed memory theory holds true for human collectively.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Also I should add even those memories we have, we develop more understanding of them as we age. So all the connections between cause effect, or events, emotions, that we form change, deepen, or are broken in some cases. So even if somehow you were able to consciously recall everything you've ever experienced, from not only your immediate perspective but the many details you will have missed, understanding about what that event meant to your life will be forever changing and thus remembered differently. This is because life is based on connections, relations between one thing and another, especially in regards to your mind.

Edited by BlueOak

On 16/01/2022 at 10:44 PM, Yonkon said:

Is an entire society gaslighting traumatized people?

Basically, yes.

In more ways than one.

Making them think that there is something permanently wrong with them, calling it a disorder, and letting them believe they have a genetic predisposition and that's why their life will always be filled with suffering, is another way.

This rabbit hole goes deep ?

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/