paprika

Alcohol for personal development?

34 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

The idea is actually ancient.  You have the Cult of Dionysus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Dionysus

Completely misleading because ancient wine and beer was infused with psychedelics. Alcohol was the least important ingredient in those brews. The cult of Dionysus was not getting drunk, they were tripping balls.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:43 AM, paprika said:

I don't tell that it's on par with psychedelics (I haven't tried them, but based on what I heard about them, I have some vague assumptions about their effects) but might make an argument for "validating" the use of alcohol within some boundaries, as a lightweight and fully legal alternative.

They are in a different class of drugs for a reason. Alcohol does not come close. In fact I would say it puts your mind in much more of a dull state, where psychedelics is expansive. 

The only way to use alcohol for personal development is the realization of how counterproductive is to use it :)

On 1/16/2022 at 11:18 AM, paprika said:

how psychedelics would be different from alcohol if they're used in exactly the same way

that's like asking how a kale salad and a chocolate cake are different.

"but they both go in your mouth so they're the same right?"

It's Love.

22 minutes ago, RendHeaven said:

"but they both go in your mouth so they're the same right?"

Or your butt ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Or your butt ;)

Why do you put salad in your butt? :/

Any altered experience can give you insight if you are looking inside and noticing the changes it creates. You might as well do the same thing with windex.

Depending on your choice of psychedelic substance, the dosage, set and setting, etc one might experience ego death, infinity, or deep insights into the nature of reality.

That said, these expansive states of consciousness are not triggered by alcohol! Not even close. 

You would know this if you tried Psylocibin or DMT and brought spiritual work into those trips.

The state of consciousness from which you do personal development on Psychedelics compared to while drunk is as different as going on a run and laying on the couch. 

I have found low doses of alcohol plus huge doses of cannabis to be very marginally spiritually beneficial, in the same way as any other psychedelic (at “earlier stages” of the whole psychedelic exploration thing) but to a laughably lesser degree.

Edited by The0Self

Thank you all who responded for joining me in this thought experiment.  I appreciate all the comments, I felt them quite valuable.

I used to drink as a teenager and then I started getting into meditation and stuff (psychs) so I quit. 

Couple years later I take a glass of wine(I am small not super drunk but enough) and think to myself: "woah this is so clearly poison and bringing my over all state down how did I ever drink that and enjoy it?" 

Maybe you do fine with it I don't know everybodies' chemestry is different and stuff but to me at least this feels like anti-awareness.(As if there was such a thing) 

Sailing on the ceiling