Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Natasha

Dual Dissonance and Happiness

4 posts in this topic

After having contemplated for a good while on the subject of happiness, here's the most recent insight - Unhappiness is simply a result of conflicting concepts that is seeking resolution either way. Once the resolution is achieved and cognitive dissonance is eliminated, finally peace and life gets easier, better, happier. In this process of eliminating the dissonance, it's important to be dead honest with your true wants and also be ok with devaluing the option that has to go. 

Example: you're trying to choose between watching a late movie and going to bed, because you have to get up early for work the following morning. What would you choose to do? Majority of people would choose the latter (going to bed), but their original want was to watch that movie. So, in order to eliminate the dissonance in a non neurotic way, you would need to choose to stay up late for the movie and either miss work the next day or sleep in and work the late shift. 

So why is cognitive dissonance so damaging to one's happiness? Because it traps us in a dual state - this vs that, and often causes us to dishonor out wants. When we eliminate cognitive duality, everything starts falling into place and flow with the Universe.

1. Do only what you want to do.

2. Don't do what you don't want to do.

3. If you don't like something, say it right away.

4. Only respond when asked.

5. Respond strictly to the question asked.

6. When disagreeing with someone, only say how you feel.

7. Don't fear the consequences.

My two cents:  Happiness reveal itself the more I see through the make belief reasons why supposedly I am not allowed to be happy right now as I am.

Expressing over suppressing seems like the fastest way to process things?