Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ivan Dimi

"Joe Rogan is what a smart person looks like to stupid people"

79 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Leo Gura we aren’t saying he is stupid but stupid people look to him for truth and Information 

Exactly!  

2 minutes ago, Ivan Dimi said:

Exactly!  

It's complicated for sure.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

6 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

we aren’t saying he is stupid but stupid people look to him for truth and Information.

That's how mainstream stuff works. And he is mainstream despite his non-mainstream vibes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

37 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's how mainstream stuff works. And he is mainstream despite his non-mainstream vibes.

This sounds a lot like RSD...

Edited by Bernardo Carleial

2 minutes ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

I don't really think Joe Rogan is stupid, he's just biased...

There's a difference in it, a stupid person is generally not able to develop critical thinking,

While a biased one might possess some critical thinking, but he orients his reasoning process to suit his own preferable beliefs, because he's not able to metacognize(a.k.a self-reflect) enough to see his projection on to a topic, specially if it's something which he does not have expertise about it...

With stupid I didn't mean like complete idiot, come on,  the guy is a self made multimillioner, I think it is obvious that he isn't a idiot. 

The problem is because of the complete absence of trustworthy media, there are millions of ppl looking at this guy and believing everything he says. And @Leo Gura of course it is a gossip show, but unfortunately most of the ppl don't look it that way, they look it as kind of replacement of the mainstream media! That's the real danger I see.

5 minutes ago, Ivan Dimi said:

The problem is because of the complete absence of trustworthy media, there are millions of ppl looking at this guy and believing everything he says. And @Leo Gura of course it is a gossip show, but unfortunately most of the ppl don't look it that way, they look it as kind of replacement of the mainstream media!

There are good trustworthy media, they just are not mainstream media...

Edited by Bernardo Carleial

2 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

i agree @Preety_India take it back pls :P

He could be an open minded individual. But he is obviously not as stupid as Alex Jones. Yet he spreads misinformation like him. He does not freak out like Jones. Yet he has issues. Why should anyone take something back? That's hilarious. Everyone has opinions. I don't consider him much better than Alex Jones. One runs a conspiracy channel and the other runs a gossip channel. That's how I look at it. I didn't know having an opinion on a celebrity was such a big deal. Ah wait a minute. I guess it's a right wing forum. 

When I said that he is like Alex Jones, that's not an ad hominem. Look at how things get distorted.i didn't even know that he was friends with him. How does it matter if he is friends or not? It was more like I was getting strawmanned, (instead of the other way around) a favorite strategy of the right wing, first project and then strawman. When I said he is like Alex Jones, I meant that he has a cult like following like Alex Jones. Both are cultish. They want a fan base completely devoted to them, even blindly. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

32 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah, as this thread is showing. interesting stuff.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Why do people take this so seriously?  Why can’t people have their own opinions?  You now have YouTube commentators in little boxes commenting on YouTube commentators.  Social media is pure madness. 

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

37 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Why should anyone take something back? That's hilarious. Everyone has opinions. I don't consider him much better than Alex Jones. One runs a conspiracy channel and the other runs a gossip channel. That's how I look at it. I didn't know having an opinion on a celebrity was such a big deal.

When I said that he is like Alex Jones, that's not an ad hominem. Look at how things get distorted.i didn't even know that he was friends with him. How does it matter if he is friends or not? It was more like I was getting strawmanned, (instead of the other way around) a favorite strategy of the right wing, first project and then strawman. When I said he is like Alex Jones, I meant that he has a cult like following like Alex Jones. Both are cultish. They want a fan base completely devoted to them, even blindly. 

@Preety_India You're right, t's not a big deal.

And you're entitled of your opinion as well as I am.

I still don't think that Joe Rogan runs a cult-like channel like Alex Jones, but regardless of his intrinsic motives, the misinformation is being spread by anyone who watches him...

When I wrote  about that as being strawman/ad hominem argument, I wasn't addressing it to you, other people in the forum were making similar associations,  and there is no problem with that because, as I said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and they can bring other facts which might validate their own positions 

@Preety_India if my commentary was seen as provocative to you, I want to apologize, it definitely wasn't my intent and it is important to me to have this kind of feedback in order to become more aware the next time something like that might happen in the future...?

This topic is kinda pointless. Just unnecessary debating on Joe Rogan's intellectual strength. 

Joe Rogan is just another YouTuber like several others. They are all flawed in some manner. This debating leads to nothing but pointless ruminating on pointless things. 

The bigger picture is to take something good out of a YouTuber and leave the bad out. 

If you're looking for a perfect person, that's not going to happen. Most YouTubers are just flawed human beings. 

Don't idolize someone or blind worship them. It leads to cult like phenomenon. Then they put out wrong stuff and you start absorbing that as well because you're so used to listening to them, you end up believing everything.. 

That's why YouTube is not such a great platform and it highly depends on how you use it. 

I was first Brainwashed by YouTube. It can have a huge impact. So follow carefully. Some of it is just toxic. 

There are white supremacist channels. Just to give an example. It's easy to get suckered in. 

I don't follow any particular YouTuber because they can be so misleading. It leads to brainwashing. Just take in something that is relevant and leave the rest. Don't put someone on a pedestal. 

Be it Joe Rogan, or Alex Jones or whoever. They all have an agenda. 

There is a reason why they want subscribers.. 

To imagine that they are all there for good reasons is a fallacy in thought. 

Most of them are cultish because they want a huge subscriber base aka crowds to control. 

Also if someone has a huge subscriber base and is a major public personality that large crowds are following, then it's important that they are right or at least logical about their opinions. Because gullible public can easily believe that 

Here the public personality has a responsibility. They cannot put out whatever they want. They have a certain responsibility on what they say.

If Joe Rogan spreads bad information on Covid, then he is responsible for it. 

These public personalities act like they don't owe anything. Of course they owe proper information to the public. 

That's why I have lost faith in YouTube. Because shady people create channels and use it as a base to spread unethical views like the white supremacist channel I followed years ago. 

I was naive to the whole YouTube dynamic back then. I used to worship YouTubers or believe their every word. When you follow a person it can throw critical thinking out of the window. You get too involved in it. It's not the best thing.. 

Edited by Preety_India

28 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

Why do people take this so seriously?  Why can’t people have their own opinions?  You now have YouTube commentators in little boxes commenting on YouTube commentators.  Social media is pure madness. 

Why do people take misinformation about covid19 vaccine serious?! Are you kidding?  I hope you get the seriousness of this topic. JRE is the biggest podcast worldwide and have some responsibilities, before spreading misinformation of any kind.   

Edited by Ivan Dimi

Just now, Ivan Dimi said:

Why do people take misinformation about covid19 vaccine serious?! Are you kidding?   

Yes you have a point. It's absolutely important whose opinions we follow. 

Many people have probably lost their lives due to misinformation. 

What baffles me the most is all of this runs rampant without anyone checking on it. 

There is no central authority or censorship to acutely control this type of misinformation. 

Much of censorship is either cancel culture or social. Not a proper logical authority. 

It is sad. YouTube has its own share of celebrities who spread misinformation. You can't ban everyone. 

But what they say can be monitored to some extent, especially if they have a huge influence. 

I like how Twitter suspended Donald Trump's account when he was encouraging violence. That was a great move in the direction of logical censorship on platform, not allowing a person to use a platform for inciting trouble, just because he is a president. That is necessary. 

I wish YouTube took similar initiative against misinformation and spread of propaganda.

Even the TYT channel does a lot of divisive propaganda. 

I left watching all these YouTube channels long ago. They are a breeding ground for not only misinformation, but also propaganda, agenda and massive brainwashing. 

Since then I feel quite protected. They can really mess up with your head if you follow too much consistently. 

How many viewers, listeners or subscribers doesn’t equals truth telling. If CNN looses viewership doesn’t it necessarily mean that their journalism is faulty. Journalism shouldn’t be a popularity contest. 

IMG_20210527_021018-1.jpg

Hmmm... We have this thread and no one posted this? lmao 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

well, why is he doing gossip in the first place?

One has to give Joe some credit for being early on controversial topics as psychedelics. Covid is kind of related to the topic of health, so he acting as an authority is an overreach on his part.

First of all Joe Rogan is a journalist and I give him a lot of reports for asking questions. What I admire a lot in him is that he invites people from different spectrum of views, it’s horrible to have only one view available as most mainstream media dies such as cnn, msnbc and even fox. Joe is neutral and I like how he challenges both sides because that is a real journalism and not to stick to part lines who ever sponsor your show.

4 hours ago, Gennadiy1981 said:

First of all Joe Rogan is a journalist and I give him a lot of reports for asking questions. What I admire a lot in him is that he invites people from different spectrum of views, it’s horrible to have only one view available as most mainstream media dies such as cnn, msnbc and even fox. Joe is neutral and I like how he challenges both sides because that is a real journalism and not to stick to part lines who ever sponsor your show.

1. Joe Rogan is not a journalist

2. JRE is a man gossip show, that's pretty funny some time :)

3. Yes, hi invites lots of very interesting and open minded guests, especially in the past. But consider he invites lots of different minded guests, but they are all within the spectrum of his bias! I watched lots of episodes ( in the past) and never seen some guests that completly oppose his views.

4. He is spreading misinformation. In a better regulated media landscape his show should be penalized heavily for this misinformations. Forget about all the points I've listed above, to spread a misinformation about such a important subject like vaccination is criminal!

Edited by Ivan Dimi