Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurpleTree

Why has no country used nukes on another one?

10 posts in this topic

(aside from the US on Japan shortly after the development of nukes)

It seems like with all the people at the helm of countries and militaries. It would have happened once or more that somebody loses their ish and says f it.

Somebody could have been mentally unstable or suicidal and pushed the buttons, but no it hasn't happened yet. Is it because still relatively few countries own nukes?

Seems like a good sign

11 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

Don’t jinx it! :)

would you blame me if it happens in the next few weeks? :P 

2 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

Yes, it would be your fault :)

as a kid i was actually really scared of getting nuked, also of nuclear power plants exploding and everybody i know dying., maybe also a slow painful death

it was because i grew up in a very leftist neighbourhood where the adults talked about such stuff often and infected me with their anxiety of the nuclear death.

now i'm not really scared of that at least, hope it won't happen though

Imagine 10 people in a big room, many of them are basically brothers with each other and they all got a gun pointed at each other's heads. They are equally fast so if one pulls the trigger probably that person along with everyone else will eventually die (maybe a few will survive but definetly not that agressor), i hope this analogy helps :) 

If you want a more proper explanation, google mutual assured destruction, it was a policy created by Eisenhower president to basically avoid nukes being used in warfare again.

1 minute ago, Karmadhi said:

Imagine 10 people in a big room, many of them are basically brothers with each other and they all got a gun pointed at each other's heads. They are equally fast so if one pulls the trigger probably that person along with everyone else will eventually die (maybe a few will survive but definetly not that agressor), i hope this analogy helps :) 

If you want a more proper explanation, google mutual assured destruction, it was a policy created by Eisenhower president to basically avoid nukes being used in warfare again.

sure i know nuclear deterrence etc.

but still it seems one might be loonie enough to just do it in the course of more than 70 yrs

like an older guy and say who cares i'm not going to live that long anyway

like one of the kims etc.

3 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

but still it seems one might be loonie enough to just do it in the course of more than 70 yrs

like an older guy and say who cares i'm not going to live that long anyway

like one of the kims etc.

Lol i dont think one single man has the power to drop nukes at the drop of a hat.  Any thought or plan of dropping a nuke somewhere would be painstakingly scrutinized and fought against by a whole bureaucracy of people. And only then if it was deemed absolutely necessary like they deemed back in the 1940's, would they drop it. I honestly doubt there will ever be another nuke dropped due to the very high likelihood of it just ending the world 

Mostly just mutually assured destruction. In some cases it has come down to submarine captains, etc refusing to push the button. There's also more that goes into setting off a nuke than you think. Someone has to supply the codes that usually change every day IIRC. Usually at least 2 people have to turn keys simultaneously to initiate the launch, and the keyholes are too far apart in the room for one person to do it. There are multiple stages in the process where it could be stopped.

If you want a more crazy out-there answer, look into all the reports about UFOs flying around nuclear missile facilities, de-arming / de-activating the warheads. UFOs likely prevented the cold war from getting hot at one point.

Edited by Yarco

4 minutes ago, Phil King said:

Lol i dont think one single man has the power to drop nukes at the drop of a hat.  Any thought or plan of dropping a nuke somewhere would be painstakingly scrutinized and fought against by a whole bureaucracy of people. And only then if it was deemed absolutely necessary like they deemed back in the 1940's, would they drop it. I honestly doubt there will ever be another nuke dropped due to the very high likelihood of it just ending the world 

yea i think so too, too many checks and balances.

also amazing that more accidents didn't happen with so many nuclear warheads around the world.

obviously some people worry that terrorists are going to acquire one of those really devastating weapons

7 minutes ago, Yarco said:

Mostly just mutually assured destruction. In some cases it has come down to submarine captains, etc refusing to push the button. There's also more that goes into setting off a nuke than you think. Someone has to supply the codes that usually change every day IIRC. Usually at least 2 people have to turn keys simultaneously to initiate the launch, and the keyholes are too far apart in the room for one person to do it. There are multiple stages in the process where it could be stopped.

If you want a more crazy out-there answer, look into all the reports about UFOs flying around nuclear missile facilities, de-arming / de-activating the warheads. UFOs likely prevented the cold war from getting hot at one point.

yea i don't think i believe that, would be cool though

Well the good news is that once Kim Jong-un dies, his sister will become the supreme leader

the catch is that she's a meth head.

sarcasm.

north-korea-nuke-missile.jpg

web1_11426968-6a222b6ff5dd424ba92bbc4251397d33.jpg

Edited by MarkKol