Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mattylonglegs

Sleepy Meditator

21 posts in this topic

Hey All Personal Development Junkies!

Hope everyone's having a great start to their new year and are continuing to grow with mastery in mind!

I was just wondering if anyone could offer me some help or insights. I've  been meditating almost everyday for about a year now and i noww do an hour everyday. It's been going well and I really feel I've reached a place in my meditation pracctice where I can genuinely step out of my mind and experience "reality", However over the last couple of weeks the makority of my meditation sessions go like this-

Over the first 30 min my mind is slowly calmed and pealed away layer by layer(so it feels)

Then i get to this kind of void where nothing is really going on, I can experience my thoughts from an arms lengths distance and its like...what now? I don't really know what to do and I find that one of three things will happen

1.) I'll get very sleepy and nod off in my upright posture or be overcome by drowsiness and lie down if i'm in a bed

2.) I'll feel a really strong urge to get up and do something! Like life is out there and i have to go take care of it, all of it, now!

3.) My breathing will become very deep, my awareness feels vastly expanded. Then generally on an inhale I'll feel a greath gathering of tension of some place in my body (usually shoulders, abdomen or legs). On an exhale sometimes i feel a huge transfer of energy from my sacrum/pelvis area, up my spine and into my forehead/out the crown of my head. sometimes with this breathing pattern I will be racked with spasms or shakes. its kind of confsuing. after aawhile I want to stop meditating but i generally do feel very relaxed and at ease after these type of sessions.

Just wondering if anyone's haadd any similar experiences or can relate! 

Thanks guys!

Sorry for the typos. I was distracted and posted without looking back carefully! Hope you guys can catch the drift.

@Mattylonglegs All par for the course.

Keep working through it.

Check out my vid called The Dark Side Of Meditation if you haven't already.

Best tip for overcoming sleepiness is meditate after a short nap.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Keep working through it.

Naps are also very healthy for the heart I've heard.

Also 6666 likes, Leo is now officially a Zen Devil confirmed

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

41 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Keep working through it.

Ah-ha! pleasure to forum with you Leo! I'm so very grateful for the content you've put out man, you helped me significantly through a dark timein my life to come out really inspired in a whole new direction. Just want to give you my heartfelt thanks for all that you d, truly.  

I've watched the darkside of meditation video, some of that shit was spooky. I'll definitely have to check it out of then.  

Thats a solid tip about the naps.

I was wondering if you've had any experience or know any more about the energy circumstances. I've herd Ram Das describe pretty much the same thing I think in some of his Lectures and was wondering if you've had any insights

2 hours ago, Mattylonglegs said:

Ah-ha! pleasure to forum with you Leo! I'm so very grateful for the content you've put out man, you helped me significantly through a dark timein my life to come out really inspired in a whole new direction. Just want to give you my heartfelt thanks for all that you d, truly.  

I've watched the darkside of meditation video, some of that shit was spooky. I'll definitely have to check it out of then.  

Thats a solid tip about the naps.

I was wondering if you've had any experience or know any more about the energy circumstances. I've herd Ram Das describe pretty much the same thing I think in some of his Lectures and was wondering if you've had any insights

I've been having the same thing regarding the energy. It started a month ago where I felt my body starts moving without my intention, like rocking back and forth, right to left, vibrations in the base of spine etc. I did some research on it and in India it is called Kriyas. 

Shinzen Young has good and informal video about movements in the body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9AHh9MvgyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTaDZqB_RY8

Edited by Esoteric

3 hours ago, Dodoster said:

@Esoteric Thats perfect dude! Thank you so much man these videos were perfect. Exactly what I've experienced. Did they help you out?

@Mattylonglegs Sounds like you're describing classic Kundalini energy arising. It can get intense. Might want to study up on it. But also, don't get distracted by energy arising. Your goal is beyond all that.

Energetic releases are a good thing. They purify body and mind, enabling both to operate smoother and at higher levels of consciousness. It works like psycho-spiritual detox. The cleaner your engine, the better it will run.

Just don't expect the cleansing process to pretty or pleasant.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Mattylonglegs My personal method of combating sleepiness is just to meditate cross-legged. Although if you already do meditate cross-legged then, welp, I don't know how to help. . .

@Mattylonglegs Have you worked on keeping your awareness on your awareness? It feels too cool to get sleepy imo. 

nothing is anything

11 hours ago, Mattylonglegs said:

@Esoteric Thats perfect dude! Thank you so much man these videos were perfect. Exactly what I've experienced. Did they help you out?

It's too soon to tell since these kriyas are rather fresh experiences for me. But Shinzen knows his stuff so I'd just trust what he says in the videos, and don't worry about it. Try both to let the movements happen and also try and and be still and see if it helps to pinpoint where the movement arises in the body.

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Mattylonglegs Sounds like you're describing classic Kundalini energy arising. It can get intense. Might want to study up on it. But also, don't get distracted by energy arising. Your goal is beyond all that.

Energetic releases are a good thing. They purify body and mind, enabling both to operate smoother and at higher levels of consciousness. It works like psycho-spiritual detox. The cleaner your engine, the better it will run.

Just don't expect the cleansing process to pretty or pleasant.

Good to know. I'm definitely gonna dig into it more. So it  makes your body/mind a better conduit for awareness? In the post @Esoteric put in shinzen young basicallysaid that they were mechanical patterns of behaviors literally being unwound by consciousness. So a cleansed mind and body will aid in enlightenment im gathering?

@eskwire Yeah I  mean i generally try to do that, at least I think thats what im trying to do. With meditation, at least for me, I'm trying to experience something objectively that  a lot of people talk about but you still dont know what you're doing before experimentally. but yeah I mean once my thoughts die down I try to maintain my focus or awareness on the essence itself. I've had pretty gob-smacking insights that way when I can maintain a  level of Awareness or focus on my awareness. Like a lot of the deeper philosophy, topics leo talks  about or instructions from say Zen or taoist traditions will intuitively make more sense to me on a much deeper level. But I guess that those experiences don't happen every time I meditate so I try to maybe contemplate a problem in my life or just maintain awareness. Thats usually when i get the urge to get the hell up and go out and do something. haha any of this make sense or ring a bell to you?

@Extreme Z7 I generally start out cross legged and then if it gets too uncomfortable I'll move to a different position. How long do you generally meditate cross legged?

@Esoteric  Yeah I'm gonna be investigating both of those technique's going forward with mediation. Thanks once again for the videos man!

@LetTheNewDayBegin i generally get to work haha. I'm by no means perfect and trying to replace a lot of habits with the good ones. Yessiree I have. I've gone through Leo's life course. I discovered I wanted to write there. Thats my small bet for now Im writing a 20 page short story. Haha I hope you appreciate all the life purpose lingo ;)

1 hour ago, Mattylonglegs said:

@Esoteric  Yeah I'm gonna be investigating both of those technique's going forward with mediation. Thanks once again for the videos man!

Glad you found them useful! :)

3 hours ago, Mattylonglegs said:

@Extreme Z7 I generally start out cross legged and then if it gets too uncomfortable I'll move to a different position. How long do you generally meditate cross legged?

About half an hour to 45 minutes.  .  then I let my legs stretch out for about 5 minutes before going back.

@Extreme Z7 Yeah ok, my nerves in my ankles get pinched when i do that and after about 30 minutes my feet fall asleep. I like that you walk around and stretch after a little. I'm gonna incorporate that.