Hardkill

Spiral dynamics stages of soldiers

14 posts in this topic

I get that generally speaking no one person or no one thing belongs to only one specific stage or color within the spiral dynamics model; however, usually individuals and organizations each have one specific SD stage or color where they are primarily at within their stage of development. The military is considered mostly Blue, while a combat warrior is stage Red at its core. So does that mean that some soldiers are at primarily stage Blue whereas other soldiers are at primarily stage red depending on what kind of specific military training and experience they have had?

Considering that the development througout the stages goes gradually on a gliding scale, it's perfectly possible to be between two stages. The military I would indeed see as a combination of Red and Blue. I think Elite troops like the Navy Seals who have specialized training may also incorporate some orange. But fighting and going to war with people is essentially red. And following commands and keeping order would be more Blue-ish.

But you see that right: It's possible for someone who has a high degree of Yellow to join the military because that person wants to incorporate Red and Blue into their life (but they do retain their higher level of consciousness so they won't commit acts that they see as being detrimental to humanity at large)

Edited by Nightwise

Instead of trying to make the right decision, make your decisions right.

those who become soldiers fail to realize that they are the pawns and the people at the top are corrupt and war is a gamble and u can die in a war. or those who go to army are poor people and do not have money

Alright, thanks for your responses. 

I am curious see what any of Mods' responses are to this thread.

22 hours ago, mememe said:

patriotism is purple 

patriotism is blue

On 12/01/2022 at 11:29 PM, Hardkill said:

So does that mean that some soldiers are at primarily stage Blue whereas other soldiers are at primarily stage red depending on what kind of specific military training and experience they have had?

You have different military ranks. 

The top general of an army could be turquoise because he must think holistically if he commands an army of million people. 

As you go down the military ranks, you are going down the spiral. 

Most average soldiers are a combination of red/blue. 

3 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

You have different military ranks. 

The top general of an army could be turquoise because he must think holistically if he commands an army of million people. 

As you go down the military ranks, you are going down the spiral. 

Most average soldiers are a combination of red/blue. 

By that logic a foot soldier could be turquoise because he needs to understand himself as well as possible to be the most effective soldier in some specific situation.

Truth is that organizations have a collective ego and the people who will rise through the ranks are either those who have friends in high places ( which in most developed countries are either blue or orange), or the ones who align best with the collective ego of the institution (likely blue, but sometimes red or orange as well).

On 14/01/2022 at 10:23 AM, Haribo said:

By that logic a foot soldier could be turquoise because he needs to understand himself as well as possible to be the most effective soldier in some specific situation.

He is a foot soldier precisely because he doesn't understand himself. 

In the military, you don't need to understand anything other than the words of your commander. 

You are there to follow orders and protect imaginary borders. 

@JosephKnecht Same thing can be said for the general.

He is there to protect imaginary borders, the fact that he is in the military at all is a sign he is devoting himself to protect and expand a collective ego built on aggression and violence.

You use “what he could use” to judge the general but uses “what he needs” to judge the soldier? Nice double standards.

A If you think the military is the best use of your time, you are very likely centered at blue, be it in a general position, or in a foot soldier position.

What i said about the soldier was just to show how you “could” theoretically, use the same argument you used but towards the foot soldier.

Their red is obedient to an authority. They are blue. Obviously they have more red tendencies that the average person.

Is a Norwegian soldier the same as a Taliban soldier?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Soldiers are more or less ALL going to be around Red/Blue, it's way of life and career that demands intense commitment to lower consciousness modes of behavior. You aren't going to be a very effective soldier if you continually expand your ethics and your ways of thinking/interacting in the world become more dynamic. It just doesn't square within the confines of what's required in war. Increase in consciousness will literally make it untenable for one to participate willingly. This is pretty obvious as it's a young mans game and people tend to get out of it as they age and develop.

Of course within the military there are other branches that don't get their hands as dirty like logistics, HR, leadership, etc. I'm sure those paths leave a lot more room for more developed Spiral Dynamics. As for "soldiers" though, no. While they obviously deserve a level of respect for what they do, they are more or less useful idiots that just serve an unfortunately necessary role in the physical world we live in.

I recall wanting to be a med tech in the forces in my early 20's, but now in my late 20's after all I've been through and wisdom I've garnered it's essentially unthinkable to me. I'll stick to firefighting and first responding thanks lol.

26 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Is a Norwegian soldier the same as a Taliban soldier?

While their reasons (and methods) for fighting are radically different, I'd argue they have an uncomfortable amount more in common than we would like to believe.

hrhrhtewgfegege