Illusory Self

How do you get rid of emotional apathy?

21 posts in this topic

I personally find myself to be emotionally numb all the time, I just get a feeling in my body & that is about it. It's a feeling of just being emotionally numb, not being able to or knowing how to express your emotions.

I know it is possible to let go of it because when I girl broke up with me it triggered emotions in me to run wild, like I have never felt before. 

How do you do it consciously though. I hate this feeling... of numbness to existence. It feels like I am trapped or something, not being able to express myself. Not even knowing what my emotions are.. Just always feel this numb feeling in my stomach & not even knowing what it is.

1 minute ago, Recursoinominado said:

By getting angry.

Anger is the way out of apathy. 

How though? I never feel anger. I don't even know what anger feels like. Nothing makes me angry. 

Staying in your home and constantly being on your computer or phone will reinforce apathy. To get out of It, spend time outside of your home, away from electronics. Nature will work best. Forcing yourself to just be with yourself and nothing else will allow emotions to come to the surface. 

You can then also do some visualization on what your ideal life looks like, and see the contrast with how it is now. Seeing that you are getting older and yet not really accomplishing what you want. Reflect on how that feels. As said above, anger really is powerful in getting you out of apathy. 

Then you are going to have to face other difficult emotions that the apathy is covering up in the first place.

I got out of apathy by forcing myself to travel and did some intensives/coaching weeks related to emotional embodiment. Sometimes you just need a good container for you to grow and you don't need to figure it out yourself. Putting yourself in the right place can activate a lot of healing and get the ball rolling. When you struggle with apathy, you need to stop overthinking, analyzing and looking for the next best thing that will solve all of it. You just need to get something going on which gets the ball rolling.  

tumblr_oq7jnntjmK1vlbbrso1_500.png

Cry, be angry, focus on your desire and be proud are ways to get out of apathy. Don't jump too many stages. 

@JonasVE12 has some pretty good points.

Normally, when I'm feeling apathy I find myself seeking constant stimulation and being stuck in a loop, it's more like restlessness at that point, but with a depressive tone. It takes just a little beam of awareness to have the strength to take a break, stop what I'm doing and lay on the ground/bed and just be. With this move you create the space to interrupt the pattern, and give a chance to emotions to move through. Be gentle with yourself, accept and welcome the feeling of apathy, go into it, let it tell you what it wants to communicate, and let it go (the Sedona Method could help here, really recommended). By releasing it you let emotions that carry more energy surface, such as anger.

As you gather more strength, you want to change your environment and move energy around: go for a walk outside, preferably in nature, or a workout (running and boxing are great). In this way you get some fresh air (= new perspective), you move from your mind into your body (very important), and you'll relax, especially if you have an open space in front of you (muscles in your eyes will relax and so will you). 

Another thing that help is to speak to myself out loud, it forces you to express what's going on.

Also, you might want to check out this awesome post:

Edited by Waves

6 minutes ago, hyruga said:

tumblr_oq7jnntjmK1vlbbrso1_500.png

Cry, be angry, focus on your desire and be proud are ways to get out of apathy. Don't jump too many stages. 

@hyruga

Do I do this in my own company only or when communicating to others? 

I try to reduce the suffering of others as much as possible, I think about how they feel instead of myself. 

Edited by Illusory Self

Sounds weird but by becoming a victim(seeing its not all your fault) you could move up...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

5 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

@hyruga

Do I do this in my own company only or when communicating to others? 

I try to reduce the suffering of others as much as possible, I think about how they feel instead of myself. 

Communicating to others would be better. 

1 hour ago, Illusory Self said:

How though? I never feel anger. I don't even know what anger feels like. Nothing makes me angry. 

By allowing it.

Get angry about your apathy.

apathy's opposite pole is passion, indulge your passions ... the god way is the middle you don't care about it but at same time enjoy the hell out of it

2 hours ago, happyhappy said:

@Illusory Self do u feel fear?or love?  I am asking cause I am going through similar issues here myself.

I don't really feel fear or love, however I sometimes get panic attacks which is strange.

37 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

apathy's opposite pole is passion, indulge your passions ... the god way is the middle you don't care about it but at same time enjoy the hell out of it

@gettoefl

I don't feel like I have any passions 

5 minutes ago, happyhappy said:

@Illusory Self @Illusory Self check out depersonalization and derealization .  This could be the case.

@happyhappy

Yeah I know about that, I think I have it, everything feels like a dream like I am not in tune with who I actually am. Hard to explain

@Illusory Self many on the forum in the past few weeks specially been going through this sorta shit including myself. and if u think u don't feel fear at all try visiting some gore sites and see if u feel any fear. if not, we are on the same boat! kudos man!

@KatiesKarma for some help out here, can u pls shed some light here sis?

@Average Investor any advise mate?

Edited by happyhappy

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

43 minutes ago, happyhappy said:

check out depersonalization and derealization

Thank you so much :x I never could quite give it a name. It clears up alot for me.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.