RMQualtrough

I'm pretty sure Leo's "Solipsism" works around the non-existence of time

35 posts in this topic

I am pretty sure that when Leo discusses Solipsism, and "no other minds", this is entirely related to the actuality of "now".

Which is to say, you don't even know you existed a second ago. And in fact you didn't - BECAUSE one second ago is not real, only "now" is absolutely real. "Now" is eternity. All possible moments are contained within it at once.

As such, the you of 5 seconds ago is as equally real and simultaneous to now as the experience had by "another person".

If you imagine, humans can only understand time linearly, so as a thought experiment imagine that when you die you immediately start the life of another creature, and experience every single life to ever exist one after another.

But now understand that there is no "one after another" or past and future. Only now. And imagine the same exact scenario but with every single moment and life and experience simultaneous and "now".

I think that's what he means and why there are no others or other minds.

5 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Do you see how two minds are actually the same?

There's no such thing as two minds in that scenario, unless you also consider your mind of 5 seconds ago a second other mind compared to the one right now.

In that scenario your mind of 5 seconds ago is as equally yours as my mind.

How we talk right now, it's almost like if future you could go back in time and talk to younger you. It's you talking to yourself. Because we only understand linear time, it's like I right now am you from the future (or vice versa) who just travelled back in time to write this to you... But linear time isn't real, just eternity. Timelessness. So it's all happening now. Both your mind from 10 years ago and my mind now and your mind now, all happening now in that timeless "moment".

Edited by RMQualtrough

1 minute ago, RMQualtrough said:

There's no such thing as two minds in that scenario,

What do you mean?

If you truly understood that all of reality is one Mind, then you wouldn't have lingering questions about solipsism.

So I ask again, do you see how all minds are the same? And if so, explain.

12 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

@Terell Kirby There are no other minds, so there's no such thing as "all" minds and the sentence then doesn't make sense.

If there are no other minds, then what is there? I'm asking to understand your perspective, not to debate with you.

8 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

@Terell Kirby One single mind. Yours.

You got :).

It is Yours as well .. there is no difference between You and I.

Solipsism is ultimately a human construct, like science .. it implies that the Mind belongs to the human.

But the truth is that the human(s) is just an appearance in the Mind (otherwise known as Consciousness).

Edited by Terell Kirby

1 hour ago, RMQualtrough said:

I am pretty sure that when Leo discusses Solipsism, and "no other minds", this is entirely related to the actuality of "now".

Which is to say, you don't even know you existed a second ago. And in fact you didn't - BECAUSE one second ago is not real, only "now" is absolutely real. "Now" is eternity. All possible moments are contained within it at once.

As such, the you of 5 seconds ago is as equally real and simultaneous to now as the experience had by "another person".

@RMQualtrough Sharing the same moment of time, or even a singular absolute now, is not logical proof that two minds are the same.  Two colors (red and blue) can share the same moment or universal now, yet they are distinct from one another.

57 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

But the truth is that the human(s) is just an appearance in the Mind (otherwise known as Consciousness).

@Terell Kirby Humans may be an appearance in the mind, but the mind is an appearance in Consciousness, just as an image appears in a mirror.  The image is nothing other than the mirror, but the mirror is not the image.

10 minutes ago, Shambhu said:

Humans may be an appearance in the mind, but the mind is an appearance in Consciousness

Use whatever term you wish (can be Mind, can be Consciousness etc etc) .. these words are meant to describe, but what we are is indescribable..making words utterly useless in this endeavor.

Everything is appearance .. our fundamental nature is to observe and experience. One needs not to have a form identity to do this .. which is the beauty of it :D

2 hours ago, Shambhu said:

@RMQualtrough Sharing the same moment of time, or even a singular absolute now, is not logical proof that two minds are the same.  Two colors (red and blue) can share the same moment or universal now, yet they are distinct from one another.

There aren't two minds to even be the same or different though. It's just yours alone... In the same sense that you probably say your mind 10 seconds ago was one mind, rather than calling that two minds.

No, it's based on the fact that all difference is imaginary.

God cannot have an other, since it is Infinity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Is 'Imaginary' different than 'real'? 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

1 minute ago, Mason Riggle said:

Is 'Imaginary' different than 'real'? 

Not unless you imagine it is.

48 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

There aren't two minds to even be the same or different though. It's just yours alone... In the same sense that you probably say your mind 10 seconds ago was one mind, rather than calling that two minds.

@RMQualtrough  I would not say the chair I'm sitting on now is a different chair from the one I was sitting on 10 seconds ago either, but that doesn't prove there is only 1 chair in existence.  I'm not saying you are right or wrong about the number of minds; I'm only saying your logic does not offer proof of your conclusion.

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura Agreed.

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The human mind is not infinite, so it can have another.  Do you agree that at the relative level (where distinctions are experienced), that there are more than one mind?

4 hours ago, Shambhu said:

@RMQualtrough  I would not say the chair I'm sitting on now is a different chair from the one I was sitting on 10 seconds ago either, but that doesn't prove there is only 1 chair in existence.  I'm not saying you are right or wrong about the number of minds; I'm only saying your logic does not offer proof of your conclusion.

@Leo Gura Agreed.

The human mind is not infinite, so it can have another.  Do you agree that at the relative level (where distinctions are experienced), that there are more than one mind?

At the relative level such as you currently imagine it and describe it, there appears to be more than one mind, to you.

Apparently.

In a sense you’ve actually got it. But the issue here is you’ve got it in theory. Your not conscious of it. And neither am I. But I have become conscious of it. So my understanding comes through direct experience rather than theory or belief. To me right now it feels like belief, because I have been unable to retain the state of consciousness that enables me to grasp this absolutely and truly. It lies so deep in your subconscious that to truly get it, permanently, is going to take a huge amount of work. You’ll probably have to aim your whole life purpose towards it. Otherwise it’ll just be glimpses, awakening experiences, things of that nature, and you’ll have a much better understanding of reality from this finite limited perspective. You’ll be your self, with a little ‘s’ understanding much more of what you really are. A bit like me in a sense, still getting wrapped up in things, and becoming confused about things that you are sure you know. Because you’ve become conscious of them, but are not ‘now’ or not always conscious of them. I still have the fear of losing my ego self on a permanent basis. I’ve collapsed it before but it comes back. I think if you collapse it forever, totally, you will just be nowhere. But I mean nowhere in a totally different way as in what people in general think nowhere is. That’s also collapsing time and space, so the visual field will disappear. But you still will be. And that ‘be’ will be also ‘me’. It’s a very strange phenomena, but it is what it is. You are me, and I am you. But not in the way any theory might be able to explain. What can ya do? Just become more conscious, more and more until your it all, then the whole thing will fall apart. But at the same time that ‘apart’ will be so together it makes absolutely no sense at all to the human mind. Just is what it is. I’ll see ya when we unite I guess. When you fully awaken, when I fully awaken, then actually end up being the same being, at the same time, in the same place, forever. Don’t worry your not alone in trying to work this shit out hahaha??

14 hours ago, Shambhu said:

@RMQualtrough  I would not say the chair I'm sitting on now is a different chair from the one I was sitting on 10 seconds ago either

You are imagining both those chairs.

14 hours ago, Shambhu said:

You are dreaming other minds.