Noahsteelers34

Is creatine safe to take?

25 posts in this topic

I'm curious what your guy's opinion is on creatine. I am taking the HCL version and it tastes like straight-up acid. Apparently its healthy but it tastes like poison.

28 minutes ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

Apparently its healthy 

I don't really think it's particularly "healthy"

but sure you can get some benefits of it like more energy and so on.

I never tasted anything specific. I had Creatine monohydrate if that is helpful for you.

I took it for months. It has some concrete benefits, if you want to increase your first-reps-strength in the gym. In other words, your 3-5 rep strength increases. Endurance stays the same. I actually started to take it one week ago every day. A little less than one tea spoon, everyday. 

Yes I have been taking creatine for over 3 years regularly with no negative side effects at all. It increases performance in the gym and I noticed it helps to add muscle mass depending on your type of training routine.

Focus on the solution, not the problem

If I remember correctly there was a small study of 20 people that shoved it increases hair loss. 

Yeah it is safe for majority of people. If you do a lot of explosive training especially things like powerlifting or short sprints where you put extreme effort in a very short duration, then this is where creatine will shine the most as it will extend the time before early fatigue by donating an additional phosphate group into your energy metabolism pathway. Regular use of creatine may add about 2-3 seconds of peak effort. In Olympics, that could be a difference between no medal and gold medal. 

But for a regular workout for a regular person, perhaps not so much but a lot of people report feeling kinda stronger and more explosive so it could be interesting to experiment with it. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

It’s a health supplement as well as a performance supplement. One of the safest and most effective dietary supplements. May even have cognitive benefits for the elderly

On 1/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, Noahsteelers34 said:

I'm curious what your guy's opinion is on creatine. I am taking the HCL version and it tastes like straight-up acid. Apparently its healthy but it tastes like poison.

The science shows It's safe as long as you don't exceed the dosages and cycle off it.  I've used it on and off and I'm fine.

However if your on creatine and you for blood work it may skew your kidney tests and cause you to show low kidney function.  (It's really not the case)  if you cycle off it and go back your kidney tests will show normal.

Of course that above may be enough to scare someone from doing it.  But as i said I've cycled on and off it in the past and my kidneys are fine.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

7 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

The science shows It's safe as long as you don't exceed the dosages and cycle off it.  I've used it on and off and I'm fine.

However if your on creatine and you for blood work it may skew your kidney tests and cause you to show low kidney function.  (It's really not the case)  if you cycle off it and go back your kidney tests will show normal.

Of course that above may be enough to scare someone from doing it.  But as i said I've cycled on and off it in the past and my kidneys are fine.

I haven't seen any evidence for needing to cycle off. It can increase creatinine output which is a kidney function marker but as you alluded to that has nothing to do with kidney function in this case -- creatinine is simply a metabolite of creatine so it may be elevated completely separate from any kidney issues.

4 minutes ago, The0Self said:

I haven't seen any evidence for needing to cycle off. 

You might be right...but personally I like to give my body breaks from any supplement.  Again if you are gonna take it long term I would be very mindful to stay within the proper dose.

Here's what they say on webMD

Effects

When taken by mouth: Creatine is likely safe for most people. Doses up to 25 grams daily for up to 14 days have been safely used. Lower doses up to 4-5 grams daily for up to 18 months have also been safely used. Creatine is possibly safe when taken long-term. Doses up to 10 grams daily for up to 5 years have been safely used. Side effects might include dehydration, upset stomach, and muscle cramps.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

It gave my ex intense and scary heart palpitations (after a while of taking it). One night he thought he was going to die/have a heart attack so he went to the emergency room. I went with him but I forgot what the doctor said. I think his heart was fine but he hasn't taken it ever since. He's also now super sensitive to even caffeine. It was a very frightening experience for him. So, in regard to the heart, I don't think it's the best. I wouldn't be taking creatine and caffeine and sugar into your system regularly. I think that would be super overwhelming for the body– not being able to be in its natural state and whatnot. 

It's absolutely bad decision to take creatine in other forms than creatine monohydrate. coz monohydrate is the best scientifically proven creatine form.

if your creatine monohydrate intake doesn't exceed 5 grams of a day, it's generally safe unless you'd have specific health issue that could be related to creatine use which can be another subject. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

@Noahsteelers34 yes but id switch to creatine monohydrate. Totaly safe and very healthy. Even people who dont workout get benefits from it.

@Gianna sounds like he taking a creatine preworkout? Different than just taking pur creatine. Creatine isnt a stimulant by itself. (I dont think.)

@Adodd Yeah he was. haha. Didn't realize there was a difference, that's interesting! :) 

Studies say that Creatine is safe for humans, but personally, consuming it consistently gives me stomach aches so that's a clear sign that I'm incompatible.

It's Love.

Every research I did says that creatine is safe.

Some people are citing the kidney problems. I am Not sure about it. 

I think it's safe for vast majority of people.

Creatine is only found in animal products.
But if you take creatine in powder that´s a highly processed food,
so I think in the long term it might have a negative impact on your body.
See how your stomach feels after you take it ?

Swap to creatine monohydrate, tastes like nothing If you mix it with water.

13 hours ago, Jonac said:

so I think in the long term it might have a negative impact on your body.

Just started taking it. Can you specify any specific long term problems?

9 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Just started taking it. Can you specify any specific long term problems?

I don´t know about specifics, probably liver damage, but think about it. You´re taking an animal and turned into a power. Why just don´t eat a steak or animal organs that contains a lot of natural creatine, plus is cheaper. It´s just my opinion, but if this supplement makes you feel good and doesn´t cause much trouble go ahead.