eskwire

Fatacus: Mastering Mindfulness Through Eating

24 posts in this topic

@eskwire Putting all of your attention on the problem and being too much analitic about the food you are eating can make the whole food-thing even worse. I see you know a lot about nutrition and you are aware of foods that are good and bad for you, that's great. Now try re-focusing on other things you enjoy doing in your life, eat with your friends and family, let others cook for you, relax into eating, don't take it too seriously...what you focus on grows. Remember the time you were a kid, eating was something natural for you. If you are researching a lot about food, and if you are surrounded with food all of the time for example on social media - try unfollowing that kind of content. Listen to your own body. Maybe you are detached from your body, living in your mind too much. In my experience, yoga has helped me to get in touch with my body. Hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, Awomanaware said:

@eskwire Putting all of your attention on the problem and being too much analitic about the food you are eating can make the whole food-thing even worse. I see you know a lot about nutrition and you are aware of foods that are good and bad for you, that's great. Now try re-focusing on other things you enjoy doing in your life, eat with your friends and family, let others cook for you, relax into eating, don't take it too seriously...what you focus on grows. Remember the time you were a kid, eating was something natural for you. If you are researching a lot about food, and if you are surrounded with food all of the time for example on social media - try unfollowing that kind of content. Listen to your own body. Maybe you are detached from your body, living in your mind too much. In my experience, yoga has helped me to get in touch with my body. Hope this helps. 

Thank you for the input. Consistent yoga is definitely a wonderful thing. I haven't done it in so long, but it really makes you love your body.

I've relaxed and started eating what I want, eating socially, and allowing people to cook for me. I have been doing this for the past 8 months or so and it has really negatively affected my health. My goal with mindful eating is to find the balance between eating *anything* and being *uptight* about nutrition. It is to find the healthy spot. :)

nothing is anything

@eskwire I see..yeah, finding balance. There is a quote I like, extremes are easy, but balance takes practice. Go for it! :)

Day 1 (Again): Orange + Rooibos Tea

As you can see, consistency is not strong here.  What causes inconsistency?  Sometimes, I wonder if I'm afraid of it because I avoid it like the plague for 0 good reason. 

Anyway!  My orange. :)

• Gelatinous fibers in citrus fruits blow my mind.  They look like something from under the sea.  I can just picture the little fibers waving around with the current.  Love it.
  • Hearing my teeth tear the fruit's flesh from the peel sounded so carnivorous, like I was tearing apart a zebra with my mouth.  This was quite satisfying, actually, but I also noticed a tinge of guilt for tearing into something that had been alive.  Interesting.
  • The tea, the tea, this was hard to drink mindfully because I drink things all day compulsively.  Perhaps shining some awareness onto what I drink all day long will be helpful.  Honestly, it can't be healthy to drink so many beverages all day -- including water -- I mean, it's really way out there on the bell curve.  It has to have some sort of effect on my digestion. Why do I do this?  Oral fixation?  

While I haven't been eating mindfully consistently, I have been paying attention to how I feel after eating and the next day.  I went to back to restricting foods that cause low-grade allergic reactions and I'm feeling *so much better*.  My irritation and hatred levels have plummeted.  It's amazing.  I wish I'd never loosened up with the restrictions; it was not worth it at all.  I could say I was "loosening up with restrictions," but really this was lowering standards. 

nothing is anything