Onecirrus

Everyone will have covid in the coming weeks?

13 posts in this topic

The endgame of covid was always that it's endemic. Fortunately omicron seems relatively harmless, comparable to a flu. Might as well get it over with. It's nice to see authorities finally facing reality and getting over their hubris that we could eliminate this virus. It made a lot of money for Big Pharma and gave a lot of power to bureaucrats, but it didn't do a thing to stop covid from becoming endemic.

21 hours ago, Space Lizard said:

The endgame of covid was always that it's endemic. Fortunately omicron seems relatively harmless, comparable to a flu. Might as well get it over with. It's nice to see authorities finally facing reality and getting over their hubris that we could eliminate this virus. It made a lot of money for Big Pharma and gave a lot of power to bureaucrats, but it didn't do a thing to stop covid from becoming endemic.

Don’t be so sure.  There’s still a lot of unknowns and there’s a chance a new stronger variant could arise from just letting it go rampant in the world.

I’m crossing my fingers this is the first step for the end of this but we’ve all held our breathes a couple times for the past 2 years.

Research showed that because omicron spreads faster and easier it is actually more dangerous then delta. The amount of people that need medical help will grow exponentially. So yeah, not sure how it all will go.

The end is nigh! Pestilence, the horseman of the apocalypse is coming soon to a theatre near you!

The benefit to slowing it down as much as possible was so that hospitals could deal with infections in a steady stream, acquire extra respirators and extra beds, get used to operating in these conditions. Without these things death rates were much higher than with, staff were overwhelmed etc. Initially it was also to understand what we were dealing with and buy time to find a cure, put emergancy measures in place etc.

Now as we reach the hopeful end, we've had all the time we are going to get to prepare for any large influx.

It didn't save my uncle or millions of others but I am still glad we in england fought this as long as possible, sometimes resistance helps and in this case saved lives here at least.

Already had it, felt like the flu. Yea, at this point everyone I know got it and recovered. 

Something like 20% of the workforce is out sick in my area already. So yeah, everyone getting sick is pretty inevitable. They tell us cloth masks are useless now.

It already feels to me like society is starting to falling apart. My garbage day was yesterday and they didnt come until the afternoon today. More garbage than usual because of Christmas, but still. Never an issue previous years.

I heard people that had their hot water heater or furnace break and had to wait weeks to get parts or someone to come fix it. Everyone is sick, no one is working. At this rate even grocery stores will be closed due to lack of staff soon.

My sister is a nurse and pretty much everybody she works with is either sick themselves, or someone in their household is sick ie. they will be getting sick shortly. Lots of nurses are so burnt out they're just quitting. Even a couple weeks ago, my baby was sick and the only way to get a doctor to see him was to go to the ER. My household got sick but tested negative so I guess it was the flu though?

Plus people complaining that even $15/hr minimum wage wouldn't be enough with inflation and rent/house prices. In the UK they now allow 28 days sick leave without a doctors note.

Shelves were more empty than usual when I went grocery shopping yesterday, especially meat.

Idk I'm pretty stocked up and ready to not leave my house for a couple months if things get really bad. All we can do is try our best to not get sick. And if you get sick, hope it's not bad enough that you need medical attention.

^^Yup.

Also, people on this forum haven't been discussing or bringing up Omicron as much as anti-vaxx stuff which is concerning.  I was going to make an Omicron thread but Leo did, unfortunately it got shut down due to the typical anti-vaxx discussion.

Omicron's wide net style spread, along with it being extremely contagious; could easily collapse society and the economy in Western countries.  The first few waves of 2020 didn't do that but that was always a concern along with the massive global deaths--so lockdowns were issued.  This made society and economy unstable and kind of rocky when things opened up and began to be more "normal".  Social unrest, etc etc soon followed along with spikes in violence in America, for example.

With Omicron, I suspect things will start getting shut down soon-ish because too many people still start to get sick, hospitals are full but workers are too sick, airlines, electricity, water system, food, petrol/gas, etc might be hit.  And the fact that we're all so connected this could be very tragic.  The reduction in the window to go back to work from 10 to 5 days by the CDC, I suspect was because they know if they shut down again we are done.  If they let people stay out for 10 days sick, we are done.  5 days is maybe salvageable but this is a "i hope so" play by the CDC.

The chickens are coming home to roost.  Keep in mind this is a huge lag in term of data--we are JUST getting South Africa data and deaths are going up. This data is matched to when South Africa started getting a huge spike in positive cases by Omicron.  We are soon to follow along with the rest of the world.  

We shall see what happens.  I am no doomer but please prepare if you're reading this.  Essentials.  Maybe some luxury things that you've wanted.

7 hours ago, hoodrow trillson said:

I am no doomer but please prepare if you're reading this.  Essentials.  Maybe some luxury things that you've wanted.

Yup. With the mandates that are being planned for truckers and the boarder US/Canada (mid jan) there are going to be many who say no and walk away. If this proceeds there will be a huge disruption in distribution of goods. Stock up on essentials! 

Example: 

Edited by Johnny Galt

On 1/9/2022 at 9:14 PM, hoodrow trillson said:

Also, people on this forum haven't been discussing or bringing up Omicron as much as anti-vaxx stuff which is concerning.  I was going to make an Omicron thread but Leo did, unfortunately it got shut down due to the typical anti-vaxx discussion.

Omicron's wide net style spread, along with it being extremely contagious; could easily collapse society and the economy in Western countries.  The first few waves of 2020 didn't do that but that was always a concern along with the massive global deaths--so lockdowns were issued.  This made society and economy unstable and kind of rocky when things opened up and began to be more "normal".  Social unrest, etc etc soon followed along with spikes in violence in America, for example.

With Omicron, I suspect things will start getting shut down soon-ish because too many people still start to get sick, hospitals are full but workers are too sick, airlines, electricity, water system, food, petrol/gas, etc might be hit.  And the fact that we're all so connected this could be very tragic.  The reduction in the window to go back to work from 10 to 5 days by the CDC, I suspect was because they know if they shut down again we are done.  If they let people stay out for 10 days sick, we are done.  5 days is maybe salvageable but this is a "i hope so" play by the CDC.

The chickens are coming home to roost.  Keep in mind this is a huge lag in term of data--we are JUST getting South Africa data and deaths are going up. This data is matched to when South Africa started getting a huge spike in positive cases by Omicron.  We are soon to follow along with the rest of the world.  

We shall see what happens.  I am no doomer but please prepare if you're reading this.  Essentials.  Maybe some luxury things that you've wanted

I also wish we could discuss omicron, so tired of this vaccine stuff.

Fortunately, we haven't seen the things you fear, at least not when it comes to deaths. Some countries such as South Africa, UK, Denmark and Norway have had omicron for 6-7 weeks now and the cases has increased exponentially. This is not the case with hospitalizations though which has increased linearly in Denmark, but even gone down in Norway. New confirmed deaths have also gone down quite a bit the last weeks for most countries. This may be because of omicron replacing delta still some places, but nothing so far is supporting your suspicions. I guess it's pretty safe to say at this point that omicron is significantly less severe than delta, and the risk of needing oxygen and dying is far less. Anyway, it will be interesting to see in the next couple of weeks when the cases potentially skyrocket certain places.