Myagooshki

To get the booster shot or no?

56 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Bronson said:

Nice study you made, it should be published in nature.com ...

As with any of my posts, take what you like and leave the rest.:P

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

On 1/8/2022 at 3:54 AM, Gregory1 said:

You are not an individual, you are part of a society.

Love the paradox here. She is an individual. I am an individual. You are  an individual.

You are conscious of being part of society. But some are not.

Some dgaf

Arc

I just got my 3rd shot. I feel fine. The only thing is some old lady had to poke me in the arm with a needle, what gives?!

hrhrhtewgfegege

On 1/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, undeather said:

As usual, a lot of nonsense information here....

I cant remove the decision process, but I can give you some real data:
1) If you are young, healthy and already got 2 doses - then the booster will almost certainly not further decrease your chance of dying from Covid19.
2) Even if you get the booster, your infectivity will be almost back to normal in roughly 3 months. 
3) However, the vaccine seems to be (despite what all the sheeps who are biased as hell say) really safe! 
4) There might be hidden benefits to vaccination - some data suggests lower rates of long covid etc.
5) Omicron seems to be 90% less likely to infect the lungs than Delta (which decreases severe disease propability by a LOT!) 
6) Despite that, most of the patients in the ICU (80-90% in my country) are unvaccinated! 
7) Fewer restrictions (whichis a plus)!

Make of it what you want - this is the data we know right now

This is super helpful, thank you. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

15 hours ago, Thunder Kiss said:

‘Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune system and tire out people, according to the European Medicines Agency.’

It smells like rotten fish.

On 12.1.2022 at 9:43 PM, Terell Kirby said:

Got the booster, no issues.

nice.

got no booster. no issues thus far :)

On 8.1.2022 at 10:54 AM, Gregory1 said:

@Katerina Riverside

Well it is not really your free descision because when Covid hits you really hard, you will expect society and it's hospitals to help you. And they WILL help you. You are not an individual, you are part of a society. Not taking the vaxx is anti-social because with your silly attitude you are causing the hospitals to get overly filled and now we have to endure stupid lockdowns to save people like you who habe childish beliefs of being an individual and to save the hospitals from overflowing...

You have it completely backwards. She is taking care of her body and health and thus needs far less from the medical system than most other people. Moreover, this endless bashing of people for relying on systems that are poorly maintained and for which we all pay is also completely backwards. Here in Germany, while covid rose, the health care system shrunk even more because it is broken and did not receive the proper care and investment that would be the only logical response to what has been happening. But now we just say it's the individuals fault to rely on something that he/she pays to rely on - and you don't even know if she even has to go to a hospital? I have several very healthy friends who got covid and had super mild symptoms for 3-4 days. Didn't need anything but rest and plant food.

One huge problem beyond this whole "should I vax or not" is that nobody takes the lesson of being a healthy and responsible human seriously. People don't respect their or others' bodies for the miracle that they are and treat them like shit, and then expect a shot in the arm to put a bandaid on that when things get serious.

And those who are taking care of themselves and being a role model for society by showing us what health and responsibility means, you now shame and badmouth for allowing their bodies to deal with disease naturally because THEY are putting unnecessary demand on the medical system? Rather they deserve even more reassurance that they're doing the right thing by being healthy and responsible. Is it wrong to rely on external help like a vaccine? Not saying that, it depends. But in this case, in the big picture, it's more than okay for her and you and me to decide for ourselves what we want to have injected into our bodies. Germany plans to force us to get vaccinated by law... This is a joke, what's the next step?

Shaming like this creates the problem and the fracturing of society that we see. Please be more nuanced than this. People on the pro-vax side are often just as myopic and flawed in their thinking than some anti-vaxers. Can we stop taking a strong opinion and keep things a bit more nuanced and differentiated? After all, we know way less about what's right than we pretend to...

On 1/15/2022 at 4:25 AM, peanutspathtotruth said:

And those who are taking care of themselves and being a role model for society by showing us what health and responsibility means, you now shame and badmouth for allowing their bodies to deal with disease naturally because THEY are putting unnecessary demand on the medical system? Rather they deserve even more reassurance that they're doing the right thing by being healthy and responsible. Is it wrong to rely on external help like a vaccine? Not saying that, it depends. But in this case, in the big picture, it's more than okay for her and you and me to decide for ourselves what we want to have injected into our bodies. Germany plans to force us to get vaccinated by law... This is a joke, what's the next step?

Shaming like this creates the problem and the fracturing of society that we see. Please be more nuanced than this. People on the pro-vax side are often just as myopic and flawed in their thinking than some anti-vaxers. Can we stop taking a strong opinion and keep things a bit more nuanced and differentiated? After all, we know way less about what's right than we pretend to...

Mic

drops.

Update for all: I ended up getting the booster vaccine. Apparently it decreases your risk of getting long covid from Omicron by 75% or so. Which is a fair enough reason for me to get it. Apparently the studies in Israel show that getting a 4th vaccine boosts your immunity to covid by a significant amount. If this is true, there may be no reason to get a 5th vaccine. Also these vaccines only deal with immunity related to covid, not related to other diseases, so it's not like it would be "lowering your immune system in general" at least not that I think. If you ask me, the 4th shot sounds like it might be a good deal. But as it is I probably wouldn't get a 5th one.

I still see it as tough and complicated. The actual covid vaccines aren't "rigorously tested to be safe", but the prototypes are. And people who say "I know someone personally affected by the vaccine" I hate to say it, I think a lot of them are LARPing. Have you guys ever read VAERS? It looks like anti-vaxxers larping. Go check it out.

I got the bivalent booster a couple weeks ago. I've done a lot of back and forth studying data by the vaccine conspiracy theorists and the conclusion I've come too from observing people around me in real life... nobody around me or in my area or social circle has croaked from the mRNA vaccines, but a number of unvaccinated or undervaccinated people have gotten nasty cases of covid that have lingered for some time afterwards. At this point in my life I prefer to go by real life experience over hearsay because talk is cheap and I don't trust basically anyone as an authority on anything.

Being I am a science geek and have that science programming installed in my brain, to me it makes sense to subject the body to a little bit of inflammation from the covid vaccine spike protein over risking a potential mega-dose of inflammation from getting covid itself. There's a lot of reasons the spike proteins produced in the vaccines are going to be less harmful than the ones allowed to roam the body unchecked with a full infection. I'm not going to paste a bunch of links. Do your own DD.

As long as they keep offering free boosters, I will keep taking them. I got the flu shot also. I've been generally pro-vaccine all my life, pre-covid as well. My armpits were sore for a couple of days. I felt like crap a single day. Was back to biking 30 miles the day after.

There are some cases in which the vaccines carry more risks. I believe that the full size dose is too large for adolescents and young people with strong immune systems, which is why you see the increased risk of heart inflammation in these people. It's still only around 180 cases per million though. It's not really necessary to vaccinate anyone under 18, because their bodies generally seem to take care of the virus before it ever becomes a problem.

There was a lot of pushback against a lot of the authoritarian style mandates that I would argue were unnecessary that made people trust these vaccines less, but that's a topic for the political subforum.

Edited by sholomar