mmKay

Finishing my basic campervan build - Sage on Wheels ?

58 posts in this topic

• Be on the lookout for a new driver's seat : google it and be ready to check the scrapysrds. 
  • Order both of the side mirrors and rear mirror in the car parts shop or original VW house. 
  • Fix windshield leak with the polyurethane glue ( didn't have to buy it, I already had it laying around the house from before) 
  • Purchase material for ceiling ( either rigid plastic or wood) most likely wood though as it is cheaper and I already have a can of varnish left. 
  • Measure, cut and drill the holes. I'n 2 weeks I'll have the rest of the carpet and glue that I need to finish the ceiling
  • Carpet the driver's cabin floor. I do have enough carpet but probably not enough glue ( just one can left) . I could grab one more quickly as I do have Amazon Prime. Watch YT vid on how to do this. 
  • Unscrew both of the doors plastic parts. They are completely garbage and I need get either new ones from the VW house or second hand ones from online.
  • Fix screeching windows and insulate the doors while at it. 
  • Ask dad about how to duplicate car key since it's too trashed to be done at normal shop. He said he knows a place. 
  • Paint the bumpers. Buy some black Raptor truck liner? Maybe just do it with the black bumper spray I already have. 
  • Tie a cord to the back door so that I can close it easier. 
  • Buy rear window tint or get it done professionally ( check amazon?) 
  • Consider buying white paint for the roof + use the car putty for the possible roof holes. 

At night when I'm back from work and before sleep, re read this list and pick a few items to work on them for the day

Today was good. 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Look for a cool colorful 2x3 meter carpet for the floor.

The van is all dark grey inside now and I think a colorful floor carpet + RGB LED lighting would look really cool. 

+ look for some puffs. Allways loved those things. 

+ look for some way to make the floor softer. I'll be crawling the whole time since i most likely won't invest 3k euro into building a high top on this van. For that price I can buy a high roof van from the go. 

Edited by mmKay

For tomorrow : 

• Carpet the driver's cabin floor. I do have enough carpet but probably not enough glue ( just one can left)
  • Buy rear window tint or get it done professionally ( check amazon?) 

• Fix windshield leak with the polyurethane glue ( didn't have to buy it, I already had it laying around the house from before) 

• Fix possible roof leak spots with car putty. 

Gn

Keep pocket journal in poket. 

Edited by mmKay

✅  Carpet the driver's cabin floor. I do have enough carpet but probably not enough glue ( just one can left)

- i had enough glue for 95% . In 2 weeks ill finish the rest when my order arrives from the UK. 

Im 90% sattisfied with the finish. Not bad. 

Look into different tint options. I can DIY with dad but I need to decide what kind of tint to buy + it needs to have the adecuate paperwork. 

Lets fix the windshield leak and we good for today. 

that's a lot more work than i thought.

any plans where to go once it's finished?

@PurpleTree this is nothing. I SEVERELY underestimated the work requiered for this proyect. 100x underestimated, no joke.

Most likely I'm not going anywhere yet. I need to pay off a loan that I had to take ( I'll be done with it in 10 months ). After that most likely I'll explore Madrid, Valencia and then France, Italy and Swizzerland.
That's what I have in mind for now .
it's good that I can't travel yet because it makes me a bit more grounded and long-term perspectived , since it's one of my weakspots. I'll be chipping away at this proyect for the next 10 months and I'll be enjoying it locally for now until I can finally uproot : )

On 7/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, mmKay said:

Unscrew both of the doors plastic parts. They are completely garbage and I need get either new ones from the VW house or second hand ones from online.

My dad surprisingly had a good idea : carpet the doors in the same way I did with the driver's cabin floor. That should do the trick. Just purchase new door handles and  window cranks  ( yes I have manual windows, 1998 VW t4  - short version and low roof )

1 minute ago, mmKay said:

@PurpleTree this is nothing. I SEVERELY underestimated the work requiered for this proyect. 100x underestimated, no joke.

Leo would call this " a newbie fantasy " 

49 minutes ago, mmKay said:

Most likely I'm not going anywhere yet. I need to pay off a loan that I had to take ( I'll be done with it in 10 months ). After that most likely I'll explore Madrid, Valencia and then France, Italy and Swizzerland.
That's what I have in mind for now .
it's good that I can't travel yet because it makes me a bit more grounded and long-term perspectived , since it's one of my weakspots. I'll be chipping away at this proyect for the next 10 months and I'll be enjoying it locally for now until I can finally uproot : )

That's beautiful.

Maybe you can even grab a tea with some forumers along the path once you get going.

i'm also planning to travel but more so to Costa Rica and Latin America in general.

4 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Maybe you can even grab a tea with some forumers along the path once you get going.

sounds cool. I'm down. Although some people here are mentally unstable lol

On 7/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, mmKay said:

Fix windshield leak with the polyurethane glue

Remember to get some gloves first.

What can I do tomorrow? it's sunday and shops are closed.  Monday I can grab lot's of stuff that I'll recompile tomorrow night before sleep.

For tomorrow I could fix the roof leaks with some car putty, I can grab some gloves after work and fix the windshield leak with the poliurethane glue, I could unscrew the bumpers and spray them with the bumper paint ( lets hope this works lol ) . I could attach a rope to the back door so it's easier to close.

Ew, all of this is really boring. I'll take tomorrow off and I'll just do the "cool stuff" on monday (getting wood, shaping it, drilling the holes, ordering the plastic parts from the VW house, and also the side mirrors. )

GN - np don't need to burn myself out. Long term vision.

Edited by mmKay

• Fix some of the plastic roof screws by wrapping the bolts with teflon tape
  • Look for some cool headlights ( ask in car part shop, or be ready to pick them up from the scrapyard )
  • Ask dad how to DIX fix the seats and if the finish would be any nice. Otherwise look for second hand seat or maybe pay a professional ( E X P E N S I V E ). I'd rather avoid the last option but man these seats are sexy:

EDIT : Forgot the option of  frankensteining some seats from a different vehicle that are compatible with mine that are in great shape! Most likely this is what we'll do.
Edited by mmKay

Tomorrow is Monday and shops are finally open. Also it's my day off work and I can have a nice productive day If I plan correctly right now and execute tomorrow.

Lomeña car parts shop opens at 8:30 - Take the van's paperwork for them to find fitting pieces-

What I want from there : Ask for mirrors ( all three, inside and outiside ) . On amazon they are 30€ each. Compare the prize.

Also ask if they have transparent blinkers instead of the orang ones i have.

Ask for rear windshield tints.

But battery as well? I think it's too soon. If I buy it now it's just going to stay there.

Maybe Lomeña also has the plastic stuff.

Hardware store is next street as well - opens 8 AM.

Buy black poliurethane glue for interior ( the one I had purchased last time is gray - oops  - or someone just used mine and left me a grey one )

Also buy a sharp knife, All of the cutters we have are absolute garbage.

Maybe they have a good mask for when I'm spraying the glue on the inside? CBA having weird lung tumors in 10 years. I expect to spend about 30€ on it. Bite the bullet. don't be cheap with health. 30 € is nothing compared with being dead at 30 because of accidentaly breathing in some stupid glue.

Also buy like 3 white spray cans for the roof. I'll wing it since the whole van is painted fresh besides the roof that no one will ever see. Not going to pay 300`€ for that lol

VW House ( next street actually )

Plastics ( window crank handles, door handle, plastic grip  ( for both sides ) - they will probably have to order them. I'd like them in black though. Maybe Lomeña also has this plastic stuff. 

Ask for the plastic step and rear step plastic part IDK what they're called exactly but I understand myself lol.

Most likely they will not have any of this and they will need to order it. Do it and then go to Leroy Merlin and get some wood or plastic plates to finish the ceiling. Measurements : Horizontal 120 CM . Vertical : 93 CM + 60 CM + 70 CM.

Ask dad where our hydraulic jack is. It will come very in handy to build in the ceiling. Otherwise it's extremely obnoxious and unnecesary complicated.

There is probably more stuff I'm missing and I may have to do two trips but that's life. More action and less overthinking is good ( at least for me )

✅I got everything I needed from the hardware store. They accidentally charged me 10€ extra for something I didn't order and didn't take. 

Now im finantially destroyed. (Just kidding - but it's sux. I'll be checking the receipts from now on )

❌I forgot to take the paperwork for the van when I went to the VW store so I couldn't order anything. 

Reason being is I didn't check my pocket journal before heading out. Learn from this. 

The my drill's bettery is ?? and it's slowing me down. I'll just work with what I have. I'm not going to buy a new one must for this. 

Also the drill's keeps breaking even though I'm careful not to snap it. Is it my bad or it's just a crappy product? 

+ I got the last wood pieces I needed. The guy cut it to the size I needed and for cheap . I love Leroy Merlin. I wish I knew this option before lol cutting all the pieces by hands. 

Edited by mmKay

Today was good but I didn't get as much accomplished as I"d like. That's a trend with me. I have high expectations for myself usually i don't even start the endeavor if i think i won't meet them, which is bad case of perfectionism. 

I did put honest effort. 

"Ask and it's given". I've never read that book but that title already gave me some cool results in life ( a raise for example) and today an electric drill that I needed and I didn't know we had. 

I wasted hours struggling to drill the barr metal with this other battery- drill. It didn't have enough power and also it ran out of bettery soon, taking hours to fully charge. 

I asked and I was given lol

Same thing with the hydraulic jack I needed to hold the wooden plate for the roof. In my last attemt i tried to make it work without the jack and I got so frustrated that I quit the project for 2 months ( again) 

Ask and it's given

( sometimes) 

I'm thinking about starting to upload some progress pics, but IDK if I'm willing to put the extra effort lol

I could invest in some decent lighting since I pretty much need to stop work at 18:30 because it gets dark. Getting some lights for my garage would allow me some extra few hours of work. 

Tomorrow wake up at 07 AM cause my friend asked to drime him to the airport. 

Its 45min each way so ill be back around  9 AM. 

Take van's paperwork to the VW house to order dem plastic parts. 

Finish screwing in last roof plate. 

Unscrew everything and varnish it. 

Glue the windshield leak ( finally) 

Car putty the roof tomorrow or the day after. 

Next week we going to the scrapyard to look for some seats. 

Paint bumpers

Fix door plastics

When all this is done I'm basically waiting for the carpet to arrive ( one week left) 

I had the idea to go to the scrapyard early morning since i was dripping my friend off at the airport and it's 5 min from there. 

I finally got a driver's seat! It's not perfect but its way better than mine. Anf it's original, worth like 300€ online. 

I got it for 50 bucks. 

I also got the rear mirror for 10 bucks. I didn't notice but it's slightly damaged. But im pretty sure we can get it fixed. 

I could have bought the right mirror I needed but i thought they would have it at the VW house. 

I was wrong. They have nothing.

Also I went through pretty much all of the scrapyards so what is left is looking for online scrapyards or car part sites fot what i need ( both mirrors and door plastics. 

Once I've got this and I paint the bumpers the van is pretty much perfect. 

Besides the roof ( leaks, paint) and the leaky windshield. 

✅ screwed in all of the wooden plates to the ceiling. This was the very last  physically exhausting task left. The rest is going to be a breeze. ??

Tomorrow I work 13-16 and 19-23

What I can do :

• Fix the rear view mirror I purchased. 
  • Glue the windshield leak ( lol let's do this one already. I've posponed it for like a week) 
  • Clean the seat I purchased. 
  • Unscrew the wooden plates and varnish them twice ( important )
  •  

✅ fixed windshield leak with poliurethane glue. It was messy as fuck. 6/10 result. I'll have to clean up later. 

Damn that was so much challenging than it had to be cause I made the hole for the glue to come out too small. I was legit suffering because of how much force i had to apply to the glue pistol. 

✅ unscrewed and varnished the wooden ceiling panels.

Ideally I'd varnish it twice but I'd have to purchase another can. I guess it is important so just go and buy it. 

✅ screwed in and " Fixed " The rear view mirror.