mmKay

Finishing my basic campervan build - Sage on Wheels ?

58 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2022 at 5:32 PM, mmKay said:

Ideally I'd varnish it twice but I'd have to purchase another can. I guess it is important so just go and buy it.

Varnished the panels a second time.✅

Found all the plastic pieces I needed to fix the doors and make them look neat.✅

160€ bucks. Total waste of money but It's gonna look smooth and brand new.

All volkswagen t4 pieces are so overpriced overall. God damn my van lol.

I think I'll have to purchase some seatbelts as well. If I remember correctly they were worn out as well.

Also a normal radio. This one is so old. 

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

On 7/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, mmKay said:

Buy rear window tint or get it done professionally ( check amazon?) 

I'm going to invest 25 bucks in micro perforated vinyl.

You can see from inside out but not from outside in. It's suposed to last one year. I'll give it a try.

only bad thing would be that if there is light inside of the van, the interior can be seen from the outside. 

But I'll just get some extra window covers from the inside for the night i guess.

I've just re-read the whole thread and I must say i've done quite a bit of progress in the 10 days that I have been chipping away at the progress.

Some takeaways : 

When in doubt , remeber this is just my first proyect and most likely I'll own a camper van for the rest of my life. 

Go try your best and learn from the mistakes. There will be more proyects like this .

Pocket journal with a bullet TO DO list. Plan the day the night before.

Updated To do list :

• Fix possible roof leak spots
  • Paint the roof white with a spray ( the whole van is fresh painted besides the roof )
  • Purchase car battery
  • Plug in that new fat fuse to the fuse box 
  • Need to pay the insurance . Fix paperwork
  • ITV ( spanish MOT ). Get appointment.
  • look up quality seat cover.
  • Paint the bumpers with the bumper paint ( if it works, cool. If not, buy new bumpers. )
  • Buy a bottle of Raptor truck liner for a cool bumper finish? + paint the rims ?
  • brainstorm ventilation options. Floor ventilation, wheelarch ventilation, etc.
  •  fix screeching windows
  • brainstorm ventilation options. Floor ventilation, wheelarch ventilation, doorstep ventilation , etc.
  • Fix Ignition + repair the key. It's so worn out I'm worried it may snap. 
  • Brainstorm cool easy functional interior designs.
  • Tie a cord to the back door so that I can open and close it easier.
  • Look for a cool colorful 2x3 meter carpet for the floor. look for some way to make the floor softer

✅ sprayed rear bumper with black bumper paint. The finish is pretty amazing.  Old me would say it's meaningless - but damn it's truly beautiful. 

✅ Removed the excess glue from the windshield. 

• Buy undercoat paint for when I fix the paint around the windshield. 

• Take ignition key to key shop ( rip about 100 bucks) 
  • Research dimming led lights. Colours are a bonus. So cool.

Remember all this money is not thrown away. One: it's an investment for the kind of lifestyle i want to build for myself. Two: when it's finished its easily worth 10k on the resale.

Edited by mmKay

Today i ordered 15 sq meters of sound insulation. I love silence. 

It's mass loaded vinyl. Ill screw it to the back of the wooden panels. 

I hope it's worth the 100 bucks. 

Windows leak a lot of noise anyways but maybe I'll come up with smth. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, mmKay said:

Ordered extra carpet  ( same color ) ✅

I just winged it. I CBA micro optimizing and measuring to save 15-25 bucks. I'll just deal with having a little too much carpet. I'm okay with potentially having wasted 20 bucks.

I went with the same anthracite color. Estimated delivery date : 18 / 19 January ( in 11-12 days. Basically two weeks )  Expect it to be here next tuesday, not this one .

I want to get a physical calendar . I feel like it will help me to zoom out from the day to day grind.

My order arrived. It's dark so i can't see if its the same shade. Praying for tomorrow morning. 

Also it's my day off so I expect to be productive AF. 

Carpet roof panels, doors and the bare metal that is left. 

aww-yea-template.jpg

It's a slight different shade of grey. Fuck me. 

I managed to puzzle  and blend it together so it looks decent. Today I  started working 9 am and finished 19 PM with a few short breaks. It was good and productive and I did not procrastinate but a recurring theme is that I get done less than I expect.

It's funny how off my expectations are sometimes.

That's okay. Tomorrow is another day.

Slowly chipping away at a proyect like this is exactly what I need to develop patience and some work ethic. If you remember the categories in the book " Mastery " I classify as "the obsessive" who goes all in and then burns out and drops the proyect.

So this is healthy for me .

I feel a little burned out from working 7 hours a day in my job and then another 8 on the van. 

It's okay. It's worth it. 

Tomorrow more. 

I still feel a little burned out. I'll take today off and re-read my notes on heavy metal detox so I can start that and tomorrow I have plenty of time to do some more work on the van.

I may have to buy some extra glue and material. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, mmKay said:

Ordered extra carpet  ( same color ) ✅

I just winged it. I CBA micro optimizing and measuring to save 15-25 bucks. I'll just deal with having a little too much carpet. I'm okay with potentially having wasted 20 bucks.

I went with the same anthracite color. Estimated delivery date : 18 / 19 January ( in 11-12 days. Basically two weeks )  Expect it to be here next tuesday, not this one .

Lmao. Again my estimation skills were off. I though I bought way too much carpet and I end up needing like three square meters more . I ordered a different brand because it ships sooner ( three days instead of two weeks ) . It's kind of more expensive as well If i add all the costs. I was resisting puchasing it because I didn't want to assimilate that I f*cked up and purchased too little carpet. It's okay.

• The plastic parts for the doors have arrived. Purchase silicone spray to fix the windows screeching and then insulate inside the doors with Kaiflex, carpet the door panels and carpet them.
  • The micro-perforated vynil has arrived. Watch youtube video on how to install.
  • look for cool seat covers. Also sand the seat bases and re-paint them black.

Got a week of vacations now.

I've got extreme lower back pain. I think I've accidentally  slept with my back to the wall. But I don't mind it that much. Thanks to years of spiritual work. 

My sound insulation arrived. I unscrewed most panels and i screwed the material to it. Im actually not sure if it's going to make a difference at all since the windows and rubber around doors is where most of the sound leaks through anyways. (Now thinking back i may have hurt my back moving the fat 40kg rolls of sound insulation. 

Tomorrow ill finish doing it with the rest of the panels.  Then fix up the driver's door. 

Purchase a cool carpet and a seat cover and we pretty much good to go for now. 

Wow I haven't posted in here for so long. I was unmotivated with the proyect for 2 weeks after I found a fork in the road ( me having to start working with furniture) but my dad's friend texted me out of the blue saying that If i ever need some help with woodwork he will help me out.

So today I'm taking my van to his wood workshop and we will start with some furniture.

I made him this video with my Nokia 7650 but you guys can have a peak as well.

mmh about a month with no steps forward. I took the van to my friends yard where he has a carpentry workshop because I wanted to make the bed out of wood. After taking it there and coming up with some tangible build plans i decided it's actually way cheaper and more convenient to weld the bed out of steel. So i need to take it back to my garage or convince my dad to weld it at my friends yard.

That's where I'm at right now.

Also : I'll need some serious ventilation. I really do think it may be toxic to breathe in those glue fumes constantly.

3d.jpg

Edited by mmKay

Finally got my dad to help me out by welding the bed frame, It's infinitely better than wood. Realistically I feel it should be done in a couple of days. My friend's mom is a tailor and she will be glad to sew whatever I ask her. 

* pats self on shoulder*

We are doing a similar design as in the 3D software above.

Edited by mmKay

Sup, 2 months since last update. 

Would be cool to have this thing up and working already, its been literally 4 years since I started the project.

We're doing the interior furniture . I had to argue with my dad for how to make it happen. I'm not 100 % sure what I want but he's pushing things his way and I didn't like his idea. I comunicated this with him and after a few weeks he understood that he is helping me out to do it how I like it, and he's not doing it for himself.

van.jpg

The foldable bed is welded. My friend's mom runs a tailoring shop and she said she would sew covers for the foam mattress for free. I'd just have to pay for the price of the cloth.

I thought about installing a foldable desk arm at one side of the bed, a tall closet at the other side and then just a kitchen worktop at the lenght of the van. Also I'll put a rubber carpet on the floor soon together with some cool material that I'll glue on top so my knees don't hurt when I'm walking on them.

I took some inspiration from this design. Although we will keep it dead simple with as little gadgets and non essential things as possible.

Edited by mmKay

Finished versión 1. Tune in at :

Please close thread @Michael569