Esoteric

Osho Writes Most People Have Died Almost Directly After Enlightenment

55 posts in this topic

Goddamnit, does this really mean I have to start working out again?

Really though, for me it doesn't matter if the body dies. Self realization will always be the ultimate goal and the number one priority, I had just never heard of that the body may die soon after and wanted to check if it others had heard about it. Honestly though, I got really frustrated and agitated (it's that period for me) during meditation yesterday and was thinking like "Fucking Osho, what does he know. Spreading fear in people. Probably just a spiritual troll". Now today I just feel like it doesn't matter at all. Ego is a funny thing.

1 minute ago, Wormon Blatburm said:

You're scaring me man. I'm still young, I don't want to die in my 20's because of seeking enlightenment!

Full enlightenment is a rare happening, sometimes it need many lives, before it you will realize that you are not the physical body and death is an illusion. 

6 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

does this really mean I have to start working out again?

Weight training and body building doesn't make you tough. Yoga , swimming , jogging/ running are good for health.

1 minute ago, Wormon Blatburm said:

Do you think you can do hatha yoga as exercise?  I.e some teachers say you can't do it on your own or even in a yoga class as we do it here in the west - because it can be dangerous.

Meditation is the most essential part, if you grow into a meditator then doing yogic exercises/ asanas/ hatha yoga can't harm you.

@Wormon Blatburm

Do whatever you are doing -- walking on the street, running, taking a bath, eating, going to sleep, lying on the bed, relaxing -- and remain with the activity totally. With no past, no future, remain in the present. It will be difficult in the beginning -- very difficult and very arduous -- but by and by you will get the feel of it and then a new door will open, a new realm.

When you are eating, eat -- don't do anything else. When you are listening, listen -- don't do anything else. When you are walking, walk -- don't do anything else. Remain in the present moment, remain with the activity, and soon you will realize that the past has drifted away and a new space has opened within you. In that space, there are no thoughts.
Live moment to moment. Die to the past and die to the future. Live here and now so that whatever you are doing becomes a meditation.

Please everyone, grasp that 'Complete'/'Ultimate'/Finished Enlightenment is an imaginary goal that can never be completely reached.
Yet, it's viewed as something you can fully achieve in order for you to start going for it. You can approximate it, sure. 
Jesus Christ, Buddah, Mohammed - these dudes are viewed as the "highest" you can get to. Truth is, even Jesus were not fully enlightened. 

This reflects that:

"At about three o'clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" which means "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?""

Truth is enlightenment is a never-ending-path. Or it ends when you die. But physical death itself has nothing to do with enlightenment.

There is always more to enlightenment than just "becoming" enlightened.

With that said, it's not unthinkable that many people have had sad lives, then gotten an 'epiphany' that the whole shit including enlightenment is just one big game, and then choosed to commit suicide because they realized it doesn't matter at all. Is that enlightenment? I guess it is sort of, but for me it lacks the part of mastering human life, which I at least enjoy trying to do.

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

Truth is, even Jesus were not fully enlightened. 

"I'd settle for just being able to turn water into wine." ;)

19 hours ago, Esoteric said:

http://www.osho.com/iosho/library/read-book/online-library-vipassana-enlightenment-sleeping-1098f342-80b?p=f743a1192270f8faf358954bf6b2a91d

"Most of the enlightened people in the world have died almost immediately after enlightenment - the shock is too much. The body may not be able to take it, unless the body is specially prepared to take it."

Thoughts about that statement? I have never heard of anything like that before. I haven't listened or read Osho much. I know he is respected in some circles while others view him as a spiritual fraud.

Impossible.
However, with a extreme awakening (in theory) you could mentally masturbate yourself to death (this is not enlightenment do).

7 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

Body won't change but your drop of consciousness becomes one with universal ocean of consciousness, if body is not suitable death happens. 

Can you explain that exactly? What does not suitable mean? What is the mechanism of action? If there are risks of a physical death I will stop the enlightenment work because i have children and not the best health (chronic illness). 

6 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

Weight training and body building doesn't make you tough. Yoga , swimming , jogging/ running are good for health.

Be very careful with such random advice. For example: 99 % have a wrong running style which is why the most long year joggers have totally damaged joints. Check out the statistics, it's a disaster. Why weight training doesn't make you tough? It is such a linear activity as jogging.

Edited by dice

1 hour ago, dice said:

If there are risks of a physical death I will stop the enlightenment work because i have children and not the best health (chronic illness). 

Full enlightenment is a rare happening, sometimes it need many lives, before it you will realize that you are not the physical body and death is an illusion. 

1 hour ago, dice said:

99 % have a wrong running style which is why the most long year joggers have totally damaged joints. Check out the statistics, it's a disaster.

Any exercise if done wrongly can harm.

1 hour ago, dice said:

Why weight training doesn't make you tough? It is such a linear activity as jogging.

Weight training is anaerobic exercise, it helps in making huge muscles, building huge muscles is not equivalent to good health and physical toughness. Weight trainers too need aerobic exercises to maintain health. 

6 hours ago, Neo said:

"I'd settle for just being able to turn water into wine." ;)

haha! :D I assume that he didn't really turn it into water, but that his presence did something in that situation that made people enjoy the water like they enjoy a good wine.. who knows!

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

People, if your search is based on the idea that enlightenment is cool stuff to purchase and carry around you'd better drop the entire effort.

Enlightenment work is not something that you can say "Now I want to start it", "now I don't want to do it". It is concerned with the loosing of THIS "doership". Unless this feeling of doing something doesn't go there are ZERO chances of "becoming" enlightened.

However, those who have attained and survived, say that the death of the body is nothing compared to the ego death.

I am surprised how a lot of people are lacking awareness on this topic.

9 hours ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

haha! :D I assume that he didn't really turn it into water, but that his presence did something in that situation that made people enjoy the water like they enjoy a good wine.. who knows!

And what fucking great wine it must have been too. Halleluiah!

Here, Osho is saying something totally opposite :o:

"Once in a while it has happened that way, but such events are very rare -- as good as non-existent -- that a person has died immediately upon becoming enlightened. It would be as if someone was already a skeleton, there was nothing at all of any accumulation, and the person died the very first day he fasted. It would mean that such a person was just ready to die, he had no savings at all. But it is difficult to find such a person; even a hungry beggar's body keeps savings, some accumulated stock necessary for any emergencies. Such a coincidence may happen sometime that a person's actions also come to completion at the same moment as enlightenment. It is, however, a very rare phenomenon. Normally they have stayed and lived for many years after enlightenment -- be it Buddha or Mahavira or someone else. What is the reason for continuing to live? -- because liberation has already happened. It is the burden of past action, its momentum, that goes on pushing the body ahead on the journey for some time. When that momentum is dissipated, jeevanamukti, the liberation while living, will become mahanirvana."

- Finger Pointing to the Moon - Osho