The Monk

I Don't Want To Be Average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I feel so fucking motivated right now and I want to be world class at what I do. I've learnt from Leo that if you work more than 40 hours  a week it is likely that you will become unproductive, which was shown by a study conducted by Henry Ford the car Manufacturer and owner of the car company ford who tried to find that 'sweet spot' for his worker to be most productive, .  Guys I'm a student and when I see a student acing class or knowing everything about a topic I love I just say in my head " I Fucking want that so badly I would give up anything to get that level of knowledge, and it would be worth doing, as it fulfil me"  even looking at people in the library working inspires me. I have a friend who goes to the library then goes gym, and from that I attempt to visualise his future and it's beautiful and I want that. In order to achieve that I want to be working over this 40 hours a week and still be productive, and I've seen people do this! E.g. take Obama he was an amazingly productive president and got laws passed for Obama care. Take Chinese students who achieve the most academically they do 70 hours a week and get to amazing Universities and have amazing potential for their futures. Last year I got burnt out, from working too much, but this year I want to Work more than I've ever worked and not Just get A FUCKING A Grade or 100% of the marks in my subjects I want MORE THAN THAT. I want to impress my teachers, inspire others and show that anything is possible! By working immensely hard and being acknowledged for doing something no English student in my school has done before. But, at the same time I don't want to burn out, but I want to be the BEST!!!!!!!!!  I'm so adrenaline filled right now, and feel so motivated. :o

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

I feel you man m. I am exactly the same way when it comes to academics. That is why I get straight A's in school. It is all about having that burning desire to improve. My advice would be to honour your emotions and pursue your goal of academic excellence and pursue it. But do not get so consumed into working hard that you neglect other aspects of your life ESPECIALLY relationships if you do not want r

@Christian what about the 40 hour rule? I know people who work 60  hours a week to get straight A's? And I think I should do the same.

Sorry, was typing the text on my phone and accidentally sent it so what can you do :P

In a nutshell what I was trying to say is to follow your dream, but balance your life at the same time so you do not get so consumed into pursuing academic excellence that you neglect other important aspects like your relationships,  mental and physical health. And realize that the motivation is just a phase, at least it was for me. The motivation can give you the discipline to continue long term and that is what matters. If you want straight A's, you gotta see it as a LONG term project like 6-18 months and stay discipliner every day to sustain your results. And when you active straight A's and get the approval, do not use that to try to improve others or criticize them if they do not want your help in regards to achieving what you have and even if they do keep it light. You are not any better than anyone else JUST because you have good grades. And if you act like you are, that will backfire in the long run ;)

Good luck :D 

@Aamir King

It depends on how much you can push yourself. If you can do 60-hours a week without burnout, I do not care what any study says about working too much. Study yourself and experiment. And when you do, listen to your body. Listen to how you feel when you work. If you feel like you are about to break or not continue, by all means work less. 

Listening to your body requires that you have at least some awareness. Meditation can help you here, I myself do it daily for 20 minutes and it is a great habit to build which you probably already knew :D 

@Christian But, the problem is I have exams, in May. I've got a few months left before these very important exams take place, which is what will determine which University I go to. Last year I got burnout, but I suppose that was more procrastination rather than working and don't know my limits. And even if I experiment I think it's too late or too risky because, I don't want to burnout before these very important exams, as there is five months left till my real exams. What do I do?  

I do hard determination sitting meditation for 30 mins daily also.

Edited by Aamir King

If you are going to push yourself, I would reccomend also doing the following.

- Daily meditation 20-60 minutes

- Get at least 8-9 hours a sleep every night 

- Exercise 3 to 5 times a week - run/jog, ride your bike, swim, go to the gym or whatever. 

- I know this is more work, but it will help you sustain your pace and learn faster.

- Always listen to your body/intuition, it is much more intelligent than "you" are ?

But keep in mind: I am just 18 years old and talking to you on a forum. I am not an expert or anything so do not take everything I say on faith and realize I could be mistaken. But I gave you my best advice nevertheless :D 

@Christian :D I'm 17, don't worry about it. Thanks

@Aamir King Careful man, I think you're being too competitive. Just Relax, Chillllll, accept where you are now, and don't aim to become better than another, walk your own path and live 100% every single day, which I can tell you're not btw. I don't mean to burn yourself out everyday, to live is to enjoy life fully everyday by being your greatest version which you already are. I feel you because being the best and surpassing all was my ambition a year ago, but now I realize how naive I was. 

Be the tortoise, not the foolish hare.

The hare will lose in the end. You can't even conceive yet what will be lost.

Hares are average. Tortoises are rare.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I felt like you a hundred time, I failed every single time.

It doesn't matter how much energetic you are right now, it is all about the habits you have, and the consistency you apply to them everyday.

Better start small, then incrementally increase your study/work/meditation time, rather than going full yolo and stop everything in 1 month because you didn't build a sustainable plan of actions.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I agree with Leo here, @Aamir King. I'm like you in that I'm crazy- hungry for more knowledge, but I must admit that I've been slowly reading the same book for several weeks, diligently taking notes, and solidifying the concepts in my mind before I move on. I'm nowhere near my target of 2-4 books per month, but I'm still reading more than I was (even for someone who says he loves reading!).

Build a framework for your success so that it's hard for you to fail in the long run. Sure, you could work seven days a week for a month or so, but then you're likely to crash and burn and drop all of your hard-earned habits.

Ask yourself: what are the few KEYSTONE habits/ processes/ tactics/ strategies I can do a little bit of every day that will add up over time? What's going to give you the most bang for your buck in terms of chipping away at your vision of life and your goals?

I like gaining knowledge too, so my example is that I commit to reading at least two books a month, taking good notes, and sharing my knowledge on the forum once a week. That's twenty-four books a year (far more than the average American reads annually), notes to refresh my memory, and an opportunity to share it with others to solidify the concepts. That works for me.

Secondly, beware of your motivation to impress your teachers, or anyone else, with your knowledge. That's a recipe for hubris and intellectual disaster. I speak from experience.

You can have, do, or be pretty much anything you want. You can be a kick ass student. Just don't be so pumped to do it that your feet leave the ground and you forget to plan wisely. Again, I speak from experience. Go for the long game.

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

What are some things you want to do/be/accomplish in your future??? <3

There might have been a study about the 40 hour rule. It's not hard to figure out however that it depends a lot on the persons way of thinking. Since they were likely quite average their thinking patterns might have been very neurotic and source of motivation might have been horrible. If you are able to think in not so stressful ways you'll obviously burn out less.

When you'll remove the "want" and "should" words from your daily vocabulary, is when you'll stop being average.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Aamir King What subjects do you do? Do you do A-levels? I don't really think you need to do more than 40 hours work a week to get top grades regardless of what subject you do. Why compare yourself to other people? Do you know their productivity, their study techniques? Are they fulfilled at doing what they do? Instead, what can you do to guarantee the grades you want and the life you want?

@Samuel Garcia I do A levels, and do Economics, Politics (Which I hate, especially debating it's damn chimperry, but the knowledge it gives is good) and History.

@Aamir King I did Economics last year -- you should be able to ace this with ease. Keep doing practicing different essay questions for Global Economy is my advice. Politics seems interesting -- enjoy the knowledge you learn from it. Is it so bad that it is chimp-like? I also dont' know much about history but my friends said there was a lot to learn. Better get started then. :)

Also this seems so obvious but go ask your teachers for help if needed. I saw so many students too afraid to ask teachers questions (including me).