integral

Brushing Teeth: Is it really necessary?

36 posts in this topic

Its been over 5 years now that I've stopped brushing my teeth and I've noticed no difference, i do have a good tongue and finger cleaning habit right after every meal to get it all off the teeth. 

Is brushing teeth a myth we have been thought by the social matrix? There is likely some truth to keeping teeth clean but maybe its been marketed and over exaggerated.

Water mouth rinsing + tongue and finger scrapping habits after a meal is probably all someone needs. Good mouth maintenance habits are entirely not thought or spoken of and are replaced with "brushing teeth" paradigm. 

Thoughts? 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Have you had your teeth examined by a professional dentist during these 5 years, especially recently?

49 minutes ago, Norbert Somogyi said:

Have you had your teeth examined by a professional dentist during these 5 years, especially recently?

Yes everything is in top shape, but like i said i do have good oral hygiene habits, i just don't brush or use tooth paste. 

Ill spend maybe 10 minutes after each meal cleaning teeth and mouth but not in any conventional way. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

6 minutes ago, integral said:

Ill spend maybe 10 minutes after each meal cleaning teeth and mouth but not in any conventional way. 

Is it necessary to spend 10 min on something that can take you 2-3 min? 

@Opo The diet is a healthy one, no processed foods/sugar, but there is natural sugar is many things.

2 minutes ago, Opo said:

Is it necessary to spend 10 min on something that can take you 2-3 min? 

Its a autopilot process of using tongue to clean mouth and rinsing with water that is then swallowed. Its done while multitasking other things. Using the things i have to clean the mouth instead of tooth paste or tooth brushes. Im not seeing how tooth paste and a tooth brushes is superior to a tongue or a finger. 

41 minutes ago, integral said:

@Opo Im not seeing how tooth paste and a tooth brushes is superior to a tongue or a finger. 

Sugar is sticky and hard to get off the teeth. 

Even if you could remove it with tongue and finger you won't be able to get in between teeth. You'll just be cleaning front and back of the tooth. 

You should reduce sugar in your diet. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I still can't wrap my head around using merely your tongue for 10 minutes to clean your teeth thoroughly. I admit I haven't had a diet so far that completely eliminates processed foods, sugar and other things that are generally detrimental to your teeth amongst other things therefore I have no direct experience in regards to how such a diet could minimize the need for brushing and toothpaste. Whenever I didn't brush for a while or didn't use floss the health of my teeth got worse over time.

I don't deny the possibility that the combination of your diet and technique works in this regard nor I can't claim brushing and/or toothpaste is a necessity in all cases. I just see claiming it's exaggerated seems unhealthy in all situations. I personally don't mind doing it as in a sense it can be a therapeutic/ritualistic experience. I take time off from the rushing of daily life and practice mindfulness. Watching myself in the mirror while in a sense is healing, too.

Multi-tasking itself can be beneficial in certain situations (though I yearn for a life where it's not necessary at all), there is a point at which it becomes counter-productive. Taking some time off, even if it means brushing your teeth for 2-3 minutes can provide a much-needed rest. If you are worried about health and/or enviromental effects you can buy a long-lasting toothbrush that doesn't know about the existence of plastic, a toothpaste that's as organic as possible  and cleaning your diet is always beneficial (which you already did as we are told).

What's possibly more beneficial to look into is how did our ancestors do when it comes to dental health. According to this study they did incredibly well (without the need for such things), their key element may have been a plant that's called purple nutsedge. Interesting read!

13 hours ago, integral said:

The diet is a healthy one, no processed foods/sugar

Being able to go without any junk food for years is quite a task. Many people couldn't do it. That's why they need some chemicals to protect their mouth. 

Plus there are toothpastes that are not just to keep the teeth clean but to strenghten them to a new level of vitality and health. Which is something one can't get just by using the tongue and fingers imo. 

Even if toothpastes are not nessecary. Using one escpesially an ayurvedic herbal toothpastes can rise the dental health to a new level. Which is a useful thing imo.

Edited by Salvijus

Depends on your diet

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

If you want to keep your teeth, very necessary.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Ugh... teeth brushing, I hate it... I hate the sensations of the brush, but I need to do better with this anyways - I brush only once a day before bed - and don't floss.  This thread is a good reminder that when I start my morning routine this year to add flossing to the mix.

Flossing is easy when you buy disposable plastic flosser picks. Don't floss with string.

Water pick is also great.

@Leo Gura I always worried those floss picks were wasteful, but flossing with string feels so much more...Annoying. Eh, modern times require modern solutions.

32 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Flossing is easy when you buy disposable plastic flosser picks. Don't floss with string.

Water pick is also great.

I always felt plastic flosser picks doesn't really get inside between the teeth. Particularly the molars.

Why you say "don't floss with string"? My dentist always tells me they are the better tool for clean teeth. And I must agree I do feel I really clean my teeth when I use the string

It’s very important to brush your teeth at least once a day thoroughly. If you don’t do it, plaque eventually results in cavities, and it can take years for that cavity to become visible. Flossing is also very important. If you think traditional floss is annoying, interdental brushes can be a great alternative. But I’d still recommend floss in addition to interdental brushes, in particular ones that are waxed as they glide between the teeth easily. Waterpik can be harsh for your gums, so I wouldn’t recommend it personally, also water can’t really remove the plaque so I think brushes and floss is enough.

3 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Why you say "don't floss with string"? My dentist always tells me they are the better tool for clean teeth. And I must agree I do feel I really clean my teeth when I use the string

Convenience in flossing trumps thoroughness. Once flossing is effortless you will floss many times more than otherwise. Dentists don't understand this. All my gum issues disappeared once I discovered plastic flosser picks.

Using string to floss is like wiping your ass with a shoelace.

My problem is just the sensation, weird sensations like that are hard to handle, but I need to do it anyways.  Like, I can't use an electric toothbrush it just, it tickles like getting my feet tickles or something - it's annoying beyond reason, it makes my whole face tickle.
So I want to brush twice a day as well, just to get this grooming stuff covered in the mornings so that my body feels better and if I have to go somewhere I am ready to go - that early morning preparedness will make the rest of the day run properly.

It's important to floss, I want perfect gum health and want to spend the next year reducing inflammation via diet, exercise and fixing anything that is inflamed, and my gums bleed when I do floss so this tells me that I should do it more often.

I have the string floss, but I'll buy some picks - my mom uses the picks and prefers them - and I'll probably floss more often if it is more convenient.  

6 hours ago, Loba said:

important to floss, I want perfect gum health and want to spend the next year reducing inflammation via diet, exercise and fixing anything that is inflamed, and my gums bleed when I do floss so this tells me that I should do it more often.

Agreed, flossing is probably even more important than brushing. You can't reach those spaces with the tongue and it can take years for uncleaned interdental space to turn into early periodontitis. During that time periodontal pockets can build up all over the mouth so best do it daily.

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus