Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt23

You are not Unique: You are a computer running a Program

12 posts in this topic

Background:

• This couple basically took Myers-Briggs and decided to put the scientific method to it and see if there's anything real about it. 
  • They watch people answer questions on video, go through a binary checklist of specifically defined terms (like "Thinking" means reasons and "Feeling" means values) to see what type they get at the end.
  • They each type and watch the videos in different rooms so they are separate. 
  • They've typed like 4000 people and have 512 subtypes to the original 16 MBTI. 
  • Out of the 512 types they have, they each get the exact same type 80-90% of the time.

Basically, they're seeing how though people might think they're unique and special, they're seeing that people are really just running such predictable "programs".

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

That's fine with me, with uniqueness comes responsibility and I don't want either.  Humans are similar in nature, we are animals after all.

I have seen this couple's videos and I don't know what it is about them but they both put me off - like, there is a tension with them or something.  Like the woman seems kind of angry and the guy kind of snarky.  I prefer Eric from TWFP, he's down to Earth, funny, usually chill and the dynamic with his girl is completely compatible and not awkward.  

Yeah... I tried to watch the vid but after 30 seconds I was just like... this is a really annoying couple.

Eric for MBTI prez.

Edited by Loba

Every person is definitely unique. Uniqueness doesn't mean we don't share commonalities. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Matt23

Not all people are predictable unless they are extremely conformist or mutilated and being unique is not something to brag about that much. Being different is more likely to mean you lack somethings. You have little to no of other abilities. Having a unique talent means if you are lazy, you have to value yours and devalue that of others so you feel better about yourself. This "uniqueness" is indeed not something exclusive to you. Same or similar uniquenesses also exist in those specialized in the similar field even though not your close friends. In order to discover this talent of yours, you necessarily had to learn watching others who have already acquired this skill. Of course, you can still develop unknown special abilities without learning from anyone by connecting more dots like me but this is very rare, doesn't happen to those who doesn't put their mind so much into it. That is the definition of real uniqueness in my current book. Yet, even that is not enough. You need to acquires already existent abilities as well. You can't be a good sculptor if visually impaired.

Specialization is for insects. "Experts" bragging about having focused on a narrow field to become best at it are very similar to a disabled woman bragging about being able to use her one arm since she have had more time with practice the remaining arm. Oneness, being similar to others as much as possible makes you stronger. You need to be more of "others" such as politicians, prophets, musicians so you differ from ordinary untapped potentials. Well-rounded people are less common and hard to encounter. Most versatile guys like Leonardo Da'vinci, Sir Isaac Newton, Nikola Tesla are sum of mathematicians, linguistics, artists, scientists. Being similar to everybody makes you more unique because such people are more rare.

I think I am too dumb to understand their version of  Myers-Briggs

21 hours ago, Seth said:

He is even dumber than me. He is still at it. Limited duality... If you ask common questions that everybody will be more likely to answer it in the same way, it is expected you'll get similar answers. There is either an unconscious bias or deliberate misleading here.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:17 PM, Seth said:

I dunno.  I bet you can if you familiarized yourself with it over a few months.  

I still they are onto something with people being basically clones.  Obviously "everyone is unique" in their own way.  But i think the gist of what they're saying is true in that people, especially if you get people who are the same type of the 512 subtypes, are doing/sayin/having the same issues/etc. the same things.  

I suppose i see them as being more able to see this than the average indicidual since they make a deliberate effort of studying thousands of people answering questions .  So they have that background and, to me, that lends more credence to their claims rather than regular folks who don't do that.  

In my humble opinion :P

cool stuff

Edited by Mulky

21 hours ago, Mulky said:

They are sort of mean spirited and cynical.  They seem to have certain types they like and certain types they don't, it's pretty obvious.   They may understand some of this from an outside, observing anothers behavior kind of way.  They don't really have any understanding of what it is like to be another type of person, from the first person perspective.  There is a very consistant thing in their videos that I don't enjoy.  They want to make others into something small, they want to feel they have a complete understanding of others.  

I think you're reading too much into them.  Ya, I can get how you see that.   But i see it as something positive in them just not taling things too seriously, having some fun.  I doubt if you spoke to them in a seriois way they'd actually be thinking they are so much bettef than others n stuff.  It's obvious they are just making fun of others and themselves (making fun of themselves about how the arrogant parts of themselves think they are better... which, to me, sounds pretty healtht and a sign of maturity: if you can own your "bad" or undesireable parts, not take them too seriously, and make fun of them).

My take and view of them. 

I experience them as more grounded and real than most other self help people.  Like, they show care and say that, and understanding, but also clearly don't try to paint themselves as above fun, quirks, etc.  Which to me makes them way more trustworthy and grounded, "good", and humble peeps.  Just like you and me.  

If you're taking Dave's antics as serious, I'd look again.  To me he's clearly just shooting the shit and having tons of fun.  They both are, which is probably why I find them so refreshing.  

Edited by Matt23