Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fopylo

Profound quote about traps

3 posts in this topic

"The right response is still the ticket to heaven, nirvana, or at least to a happy and secure life.

What a trap that can be! What at first seems to free participants ultimately binds them. Such approaches - releasing repressed areas of consciousness, positive thinking, transformational experiences, accepting things exactly the way they are, 'creative' problem solving, situational management, behavior modification, stress reduction, 'new' styles of thinking, and even certain forms of meditation - all attempt to teach people to respond to life or to the universe as if the circumstances were dominant.

After years of practicing these various disciplines, people often still have not learned to create what they most truly want. All they have learned are textbook responses that promise, but do not deliver, success or salvation.

This is because creating and responding are completely different species."

This is powerful, I believe. It just shows us how much we try to solve our "problems", which is different from creating. When you try to solve a problem you are taking action to have something go away, the problem. When you are creating you are taking action to bring something into being, the creation.

The quote above has really struck me, as I've been spending so much time (and still do) trying to "solve" my situation so that I can create music, via those beautiful deceptive methods that make you think you'll get the result you want (the methods in the quote). This is because deep down I feel powerless against my situation.

@Nahm Would like to know what you think about this quote. I'm still not creating music by the way, still searching for stuff to solve, in the reactive-responsive orientation..

@fopylo

33 minutes ago, fopylo said:

"The right response is still the ticket to heaven, nirvana, or at least to a happy and secure life.

What a trap that can be! What at first seems to free participants ultimately binds them. Such approaches - releasing repressed areas of consciousness, positive thinking, transformational experiences, accepting things exactly the way they are, 'creative' problem solving, situational management, behavior modification, stress reduction, 'new' styles of thinking, and even certain forms of meditation - all attempt to teach people to respond to life or to the universe as if the circumstances were dominant.

After years of practicing these various disciplines, people often still have not learned to create what they most truly want. All they have learned are textbook responses that promise, but do not deliver, success or salvation.

This is because creating and responding are completely different species."

This is powerful, I believe. It just shows us how much we try to solve our "problems", which is different from creating. When you try to solve a problem you are taking action to have something go away, the problem. When you are creating you are taking action to bring something into being, the creation.

The quote above has really struck me, as I've been spending so much time (and still do) trying to "solve" my situation so that I can create music, via those beautiful deceptive methods that make you think you'll get the result you want (the methods in the quote). This is because deep down I feel powerless against my situation.

@Nahm Would like to know what you think about this quote. I'm still not creating music by the way, still searching for stuff to solve, in the reactive-responsive orientation..

It's a pretty good quote on traps, I assume spiritual related traps. Who was the person that said the quote?