Leo Gura

Gathering Questions For Life Purpose Faq

98 posts in this topic

I have struggled a lot with my finding my purpose. Don't get me wrong, I found the Life Purpose course to be really great, but I appear to have many layers of personal bullshitting to sift through before landing on anything really concrete. After completing the course over a year ago, the main questions / points of confusion for me have been:

* Note: not all of these are direct questions and others have been framed in some sort of question form, mainly to make it easier to imagine them being part of an eventual list. I'm not actually fishing for answers to all of these at the moment! :)

- I can't really tell if my passion for personal development, consciousness work / spiritual interests are all purely self-motivated and something I only care about "for me", or whether it has any connection to my "outer" purpose and what I want my life to be about. I feel like I don't want to be another guy telling people to meditate when there are far more qualified people out there doing that already.

- I have felt far more of a burning desire for turning inward than outward, so am very unsure how to balance consciousness work with life purpose discovery work. This also makes me doubt my own motivation for taking brave risks / leaps into the unknown.

- I also have a strong fear that any commitment I make to a life purpose could start to fall away and unravel rapidly as I do more inner work. This makes me think I should stick with my current job until I gain more clarity through inner work. Catch 22: current job leaves me with little time to focus on inner work or life purpose small bets experimentation :P

- I identify as a "Scanner" / "Multipotentialite" / "Renaissance" type person who seems to be interested in everything but not burningly passionate about any one thing day-in, day-out. It's more a cyclical rehashing of many different things. So I have huge issues in committing to one area of mastery.

- I feel like I'm more "good - to quite good" at a lot of things as opposed to ever really being brilliant at one thing, lacking the motivation to focus on a singular pursuit long enough to truly master it. Should I focus on what I perceive to be my top strength or try to make synergystic use of many "lesser-strengths" to generate something unique?

- Is striving for mastery over expanding your life experience in multiple fields, a universal principle of good advice or just a strong value of Leo's? I understand you're probably better off being as much of an expert as possible, but it often feels very inauthentic to me to sacrifice many of my perceived talents and passions, for mastery in one area. Is this something that just requires making a "hard decision" for better long term benefits? This article from Steve Pavlina was exciting for me to stumble across (of course it's far less comprehensive than an entire Life Purpose course, but raises some interesting points as well as whole other bunch of questions :/ ) https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2016/12/mile-wide-mile-deep/

- Lifestyle minimalism tells us to slow the fuck down, do less, have more time for being and mindfulness. The life purpose course extolls shitloads of hard work, grit and even possibly sacrificing health & relationships out of pure passion. What is the ideal balance between being, doing, inner work and life purpose discovery / life purpose work? And what strategies if any are there to transition to this kind of lifestyle, from a busy 9-5 (or more) career. (My personal main issue here is a lack of patience I imagine - it can be quite challenging to decide what to limit myself to focusing on next, when realistically I can only take on so many endeavours / small bets / inner work topics).

- Psychological Stress - I'd just like to note, (while this might not be applicable to the great majority of people) I have struggled to a pretty alarming degree on my personal development path over the last year or so, to incorporate all that I've been learning, focused primarily on Life Purpose discovery and enlightenment work, whilst trying to eat a lot more healthily and work. It is probably my personality and disposition - so focused on finding closure, but most of my more difficult moments have been around trying to nail down things like my values, my ideal medium, my life purpose statement (actually most elements of my Me Sheet! :P ). I really took to heart the advice that friends, relationships and family are all secondary concerns when it comes to Life Purpose and Enlightenment pursuits and I think that has been a real struggle throughout - everyone seems a lot happier than me, even though they're not interested in any of this stuff. I probably have grown quite a bit as a result and am hoping it will all pay-off in the long run, but this whole path certainly isn't for the faint of heart. I'm not sure I could actually recommend it to anyone else at the moment, due to the strife I've encountered, but again that may be just down to the way I have been going about things and a real reluctance to give up what I currently have.

- Final point about concurrent Life Purpose and Enlightenment work: I have been trying to work towards both of these. I have probably been thinking about Life Purpose all wrong, but I've very much been approaching it from the angle of almost: "this is the pinnacle of self-definition" "this is my purpose" "this is what I'm here to do" etc. and obviously enlightenment teachings are telling me that I don't actually exist and to Dr. Martin Ball it all screams "Ego! Ego! Ego!". It may be because I am only a fledgling in my forays into both fields, but I can't help but feel like both endeavours were under-mining each other to a degree. Doing things like Life Purpose affirmations and imprinting on one hand to solidify my vision, passion and motivation, while trying to question my reality and drop my beliefs on the other hand. It's all been a bit of a mindfuck.

I don't want to appear ungrateful. The Life Purpose course has been a great tool in self-discovery for me. It's actually outrageous to have been able to pull out so many commonalities and create a general purpose approach that can get the vast majority moving in the right direction. I understand it's impossible to tailor an entire course to every individual's needs and current situation. Perhaps it's been my own attachment to figuring it all out and taking on too many things at once that's been damaging me. These were just some of the major concerns I've been dealing with over the last year, after completing the course.

(P.S. If we could get that list of 1000 ways to raise consciousness, that would be just great. :P Just kidding.)

Edited by Gavalanche
typo

@Thinh They are all a pain in the ass and never come out right. I want to digitally fill out all the worksheets but it's near ridiculous. 

Edited by Hunter Arrington

@Hunter Arrington I just copy and paste the text from the PDFs into OneNote and it looks fine. Then fill them out from there. I'm sure it would also work pasting into a word doc.

@Leo Gura

About strengths assessment test. I did both of the assessments. Some of the strengths overlap and I also believe these are my signatures.

BUT If I now have 10 strengths altogether (some of them reducable, as they mean the same, which leaves me with 7 unique strengths), should I combine the two lists and reduce the total number of strengths  to just 5? Or is it ok to focus on and cultivate these 7 strengths which I feel quite strong about? 

Thanks.  

Could some people be not prepared yet for the course and should work on other things first, or is this course literally great for everyone to work through, regardless of their level of conciousness and development?

Also:

How can we get through the bullshit answers and dreams - things our minds tell us we want, but don't actually want and wishes we've absorbed by society and social influence? These keep getting me stuck...

I've noticed that I keep coming to the same answers. For example, I say to myself "I want to write fantastical stories!" or "I want to be a philosopher and think about the true nature of the world!", but when I sit down to do something like this, I get frustrated and don't find those activities engaging at all. That's what I mean by "bullshit answers".

I believe talent needs more nuance : I don't feel like it's the addition distance you have over the competition in the long run but your baseline acceleration. What adds up to your speed if you work on it for instance.

Some people are more clever and learn faster than others. They're also able to practice more efficiently etc.

I've always seen talent like : talent x work = results.  Talent could range from one to three for instance and work would be hours. Some people only need 5k hours to achieve mastery/ be world class. 

Or are those just rationalizations of my fixed mindset ? (That doesn't solve the people are different - more/less clever, sharp, have more energy/processing power/ etc).

Leo, have you got any advice regarding life purpose which is specific to women? 

I'm just working on the course, almoust through my concepts section, and just now it seems to me I've been on a reasonable track. I studied physics and now I am a year into my phd.  I bought the course in a moment of doubt about my chosen career, but the talks you have about shattering expectation, and other, reassures me that the difficulties I've experienced are not insurmountable, and that a lot I've gone throught is a necessary part of the path. I think I need to make some twists in my attitude, i.e. acquiring a much more concrete vision of the impact I want to have on my world, but overall the track I am on could be turned into my mission. 

One of my fears now though is what about family. I'm approching 28, so it's really a time to reapproach my strategy around combining relationships and work - and since my relationships didn't work out, I don't see myself having children before finishing my phd. That's trouble though, since that age between 30-35 is often the age of most productivity and results in science, it's also a time when you are expected to change a few different postdoc positions (often all around the world). Not exactly a huge asset relationship wise, but pretty much needed if your aim is to be worldclass.

I believe raising a child is similarly demanding and almost as meaningful as your life purpose. To nurse my children properly, I might want to take a few years out of the workspace. It's very difficult to return to something as demanding as physics (or anything on the world-class level) after a few years. Do you know any resources with tips how to creatively work around this challenge?

How to reconcile Life Purpose with Enlightenment/truth?

I would literally put almost an entire episode or FAQ on this. I know that it's a constant question, but people that bought the course are mostly actualized.org "fans", aka in a big chunk just self development jukies, and because actualized.org have changed vision and focus more on the "sage" prospective it's necessary to really make it clear how to put together these 2 things, because people now see this thing called "enlightenment" which is the most important things of all", leading to be "unhealthy" confused. I know that you have already answer the question here and there on the forum and in recent videos, but I believe that you should answer it in a video or into a "clear" way. I've been following actualized.org for 2 year now, and I've saw all the videos multiple times, done the course, read some book in the booklist etc... and I will soon enough post a list of video request that I'm sure you will appreciate because as far as I'm concerned I'm feeling myself like a part of actualized.org and so I can "see" where it want to go (topics like chakra, sex & enlightenment, paranormal etc...), where this "entity"/organism want to go; but because of the SHIFT that you've recently make, you have to reconcile the new with the old in a clear way, and I think that it's really important to put it into a clear way, even if in part you already done it. 

Third question:

What if you choose a wrong Life Purpose i.e. something you thought were passionate about but later found out it was just your mind deceiving you? How can you prevent that from happening, and if you've already done something like that -- how can you get back on track with your truest Zone of Genius and Impact Statement?

To be specific:

I selected physics and deductive reasoning to be my ZoG, but when I sit down to learn and practice physics, I feel anxious and frustrated, I don't like it. I'm not sure whether its me who has made a bad decision or I'm just not specific enough with what makes me passionate or there's something else at play here. Does that make sense?

Offtopic: I would suggest you capture a 1 - 1 coaching on camera, so we can establish a pattern to solve problems and think independently. Not just google questions.

Why does the Life Purpose Examples file not have the Domain of Mastery segment? Do you think it's already encapsulated in the Zone of Genius?

In the Higher Consciousness Virtues exercise, should we select one of the virtues in bold? Example: Should we select Richness or should we select complexity, intricacy, depth, or differentiation?

Hello Mentor of this Hero! 

I have a direct question. You propose a set amount of time to stick with wich "basic" habits, for example 3 months for affirmation. I wanted to know if after that time it´s better to stick with it forever or to substitute it with growing one of my skills. It´s like, is my mind programmed forever or not after that 3 months. Visualization you say that is forever but about the others no Mentor. 

I was seeing your "how to be a strategic motherfucker" video and I saw that LP course is based in pure strategy. I was wandering on how do you organize your information, your strategy. It´s just in paper, or do you have some app or program?? It´s because to make LP real we need to be strategic and to be strategic we have to organize our information well, to see the big picture and all steps to get there.

I just want to add, that you and your course just changed my all day (life), since the first minute that I wake up, until the last one.I just totally do different stuff along the day, I'm not the same anymore. That's the kind of work you do Leo...  (If we existed) 

I taked the course one year ago and I will resume my struggles with it, I think it can be helpful to you to have that feedback. I´m having some difficulties with time, but it is being overtake as I progress with my journey. Anyway I´m struggling to have time to finish my master's degree, having a  20 minutes daily meditation practice plus 25 minutes of habits that you recommend on the course and 30 minutes of gym. I´m doing that religiously, but it´s normal that I don´t have time in my day to practice some skills that I need to develop and worst of all, to be the time that you say that it is a must be in my zone of genius. Maybe I feel a little bit that I have to do a lot of different things during my day, and that´s fine and I want to grow, but it is so difficult to complete the daily checklist of things done.  Is not that against the principle of concentration of force?(FAQ) Sorry for being to much personal, but for example I would love to practice, during an entire year, the 20 minutes daily practice of your video about "how to be funny" but I have to be a strategic motherfucker and right now I don´t have the resources for that :( . I find in myself that the most important thing to stick with my life purpose is to wake up at 5:30 AM, and I´m planning to wake up at 5AM to have more time, maybe it´s a useful resource for others. 

Posted it I guarantee you that taking your life purpose course was the most important thing that happened in my all life. :)