Leo Gura

List Of Enlightenment Exercises

171 posts in this topic

For more great direct experience exercises like on the front page, check out Douglas Harding’s The Headless Way

I’m going out on a limb and saying: the best (and most advanced and dense) guide to enlightenment exercises is the late Rob Burbea’s Seeing That Frees. If you haven’t heard of it or haven’t read it, you’re missing out. I don’t even want to spoil it it’s so good...it’s basically just a complete, exhaustive guide to realizing emptiness, and following the beauty of the thread of emptiness, which is a clear and tractable spectrum that goes all the way from tantrum to nirvana. “What is unfabricated is not unfabricated. What arises dependently does not arise.“

Another enlightenment exercise:

Noting aloud

Kenneth Folk quote:
http://awakenetwork.org/forum/kfd-archive-wetpaint/12498-tips-for-stream-entry

Forget about the tips and tricks. Forget about the centerpoint. Forget about the 3 characteristics. Forget about whether you think you are concentrated or not. Forget about what you think you know about meditation.

Every time you discover the "problem" with your meditation, note your reaction to that thought. Note the thought itself. Note once per second, aloud, for the duration of your sitting. Note catastrophizing, dramatizing, histrionics, self-pity, evaluation thoughts, impatience, despair, self-loathing, joy, triumph, scenario spinning, longing, desire for deliverance, irritation, doubt, bliss, absorption, distraction, fear, anger, rage, disgust, euphoria, hope, contentment, anticipation, softness, hardness, coolness, warmth, pulsing, burning, itching, throbbing, stinging, tingling, hearing, seeing, tasting, smelling, pleasant, unpleasant, neutral, petulance, futility, dullness, fatigue; what have I left out? Of course you would like some kind of a shortcut or a tip. There is no such thing. There is only the mastery of this simple technique. By the time you master this technique, you will be an arahat. If you distract yourself from this technique by trying to tweak the recipe, the warrantee is void.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:40 PM, The0Self said:

Another enlightenment exercise:

Noting aloud

Kenneth Folk quote:
http://awakenetwork.org/forum/kfd-archive-wetpaint/12498-tips-for-stream-entry

@The0Self I love Kenneth but noting every single second seems so absurdly effortful and unnecessary I can't be bothered to even try. I'll probably give up and just rest as empty awareness after half a minute lol. I'm a second gear guy. What's your experience with it?

I’m going out on a limb and saying: the best (and most advanced and dense) guide to enlightenment exercises is the late Rob Burbea’s Seeing That Frees.

Going through it at the moment. It's a monster of a book, perhaps even more so than Book of Not Knowing. I'll be on that bad boy for like a year probably.

Edited by Display_Name

@Display_Name I am also more of a second gear guy but noting aloud 1x/s has put me in states that made me question everything I thought I knew about meditation. I can feel myself moving through the ñana’s in a way that other practices don’t provide. However, self-inquiry gets me to what I can only describe as an inversion, where what I thought was me is revealed to be on the inside of the actual me, and I’m looking in at the world from this vast infinite blackness/void. Amazing.

And I feel a very strange similarity between Rob Burbea’s anatta... and self-inquiry — it’s like they’re actually the exact same process but tweaked in such subtly different ways I can barely even describe what that difference is.

Edited by The0Self

22 minutes ago, The0Self said:

@Display_Name I am also more of a second gear guy but noting aloud 1x/s has put me in states that made me question everything I thought I knew about meditation. I can feel myself moving through the ñana’s in a way that other practices don’t provide. However, self-inquiry gets me to what I can only describe as an inversion, where what I thought was me is revealed to be on the inside of the actual me, and I’m looking in at the world from this vast infinite blackness/void. Amazing.

I’ll have to give it a go then.

Yeah yourself is happening inside Yourself lol

@Display_Name Yeah the whole benefit of the aloud aspect is the fact that you never get stuck (if you do, just note uncertainty/confusion/etc) and it facilitates mindful continuity very efficiently. It really shines if you do it for at least 40 minutes straight, preferably 60+. Just every single second, noting your experience. Good luck doing that without saying it out loud — you’re liable to take a 5 second break somewhere in there to bask in some piti, etc. (for me anyway).

The Vijnana Bhairava Tantra has 112 meditations. I would recommend Swami Lakshmanjoo’s book ‘The manual for self realisation’. Free pdf available on archive.org

The best 15 Mindfulness Activities to Reduce Stress and Increase Calm. Practicing simple techniques and exercises can help you improve mental clarity. self growth, self realization, self advocacy program and courses provided by Mindfulness. Get detailed information about self growth or personal growth online courses.

Its chestnut season, and this exercise occurred to me as i was picking them. It works the same with any object, but ill be using chestnuts as an example here.

• As you pick and collect the chestnuts, take the biggest and best looking one (or even the entire basket!) and just throw it away.

• But don't just throw it mindlessly. Rather, observe the entire process.

• Observe your gripping attachment to the chestnut just before you throw.

• And observe the freeing feeling within you just after you throw it.

This is what "letting go" is. It's the same with our attachment to the false sense of self. We are constantly gripping, but it's only when we simply let go that we see how silly it was to grip on to it.

If you aren't going anywhere, it's precisely because you think you are going somewhere. There's only going inward, or not doing so. If you know there are no thoughts, that's still knowing something, so press on further. Try the inquiry Who am I? or What is knowing this? You will not find any answers, because there are none. Questions define our limitations. The question (Who am I?) defines your limitation -- you don't know who you are. The reason no answers can be found is because there is no questioner. In understanding the question, and unknowing any possible beliefs about the answer, the limitation is destroyed.

On 1/4/2017 at 0:08 AM, abrakamowse said:

@Leo Gura In the exercise 1 , I don't get this par

But when my finger touches my body, the ego can say... hey! That's me... and that's the problem. We know we are not the body, but we still think we are.

A little adjustment to this exercise if I may. Try not to use the finger to draw the imaginary line, you don't need the finger to draw an imaginary line anyway. Just use draw the imaginary line with you mind from the object to you and since the source thats creating the line is your mind you need to draw the line back to your mind, you will see the line it cant touch your mind. ?

1 minute ago, Emmad said:

A little adjustment to this exercise if I may. Try not to use the finger to draw the imaginary line, you don't need the finger to draw an imaginary line anyway. Just use draw the imaginary line with you mind from the object to you and since the source thats creating the line is your mind you need to draw the line back to your mind, you will see the line it cant touch your mind. ?

Thanks @Emmad I will try that

?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Imagine a vast void behind (Void is the foundation for visualization)

Imagine a vast void out of sight beyond the moment (As if the moment is in the void)

Imagine the vast void within the body (As if the body is empty)

Imagine the body parts not seen are void/gone (As if they don't exist)

Imagining light streak in 1-6 directions (To sense vastness of our void)

Imagine the moment from a different point of view 

Imagine being a different form within the moment 

Imagine heard sounds as sound waves that vanish when not sensed

Imaging sensations as light  forms that disappear when not sensed 

Imagining sounds as bubbles that pop when not sensed

Imagine slowly and lovingly creating the moment

Imagining a form within the moment created the moment

Imagining words in the void instead of thinking using sound

Imagine reflection of moment behind

Imagine sounds and sensations as hearts

Imagine a form then make it shapeshift into other forms

Imagine what goes out of sight has died in the void and is reborn as another sensed form

Imagine sounds that die are born as another sound / sense

Imagine that what is no longer felt has died and is reborn as another sensed form

Imagine being the sustainer of the moment

Imagine that a form within the moment sustains the moment

Imagine the moment without this body in it

Imagine that many forms we love have died and are reborn as the moment

Imagine many universes / multiverses keep zooming out until they are tiny

Imagine our moment then zoom out until its super small compared to us our vast void

Imagine the one thing happening and also it’s opposite

As you read your essay, remember the "The Princess and the Pea," the story of a princess so sensitive she was bothered by a single pea buried beneath the pile of mattresses she lay upon. As an editor, you want to be like the princess—highly alert to anything that seems slightly odd or "off" in your prose. So if something strikes you as problematic, don't gloss over it. Investigate to uncover the nature of the problem. Chances are, if something bothers you a little, it will bother your readers a lot. https://custom-writing.co.uk/

Edited by veralarina

Wait a minute... Am I the breath?

Breath in squeeze your sexual organ and breath out squeeze your evacuation organ. This will lead to your kundalini move to your heart

These are amazing practices to start with. SImple and profound. 

Exercise that on a rainy day:

First slow down your mind a little bit and become present. Then look at the window and watch the single drops of water sliding down the window and see them merging and seperating from each other. Notice it's all happening by itself and ask yourself when exactly is the separation of the drops happening and what's changed. If you want to go further you can ask yourself what's that expercience in common with the experience of breathing. 

Do this with as little thinking as possible. Just observe and do this for at least half an hour.