Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striving for more

10,000 hour rule just an arbitrary number?

15 posts in this topic

Is it really a solid rule like gravity or Force = Mass X Acceleration?

Why couldn't you master something in 5000 hours, or 7000 hours ? 

It’s actually 9589 h and 32 minutes but make it 10 000 to be sure?

1 hour ago, Knowledge Hoarder said:

it's safe to say that it takes at least 10 years to master something.

Same issue. Why does it take "at least 10 years", couldn't someone master in 6 years? Where's your proof? 

Also if you are quantify mastery as  >10 years, you're claiming that Mastery takes specifically  10X365X24=87,600 Hours

Or do we only count waking hours? >>> 10X365X16= 58,400 Hours 

"10 years" depends on how many hours are spent of each day of those 10 years unless you are being exact about 87,600 Hours. 

I read some reditt posts & all agrees just a catchy rule to sell his book, and fair enough. 

It's obviously bullshit. 

Edited by Striving for more

It's not like there's a line somewhere that says "past this line, you have mastered this skill". Your post makes me feel like you want to put in the minimal effort and say "Okay! I've mastered it now! All good! I can stop!".

You should be thinking in terms of lifelong learning and improving, and you should be expecting that it's going to take you an incredibly long time of really hard grueling work before other people might call you a master, by which point you'll just be thinking about all the things you still need to improve.

8 minutes ago, Emrie said:

You should be thinking in terms of lifelong learning and improving, and you should be expecting that it's going to take you an incredibly long time of really hard grueling work before other people might call you a master, by which point you'll just be thinking about all the things you still need to improve.

I agree but I still think 10,000 is a rediculous arbitrary number. 

5000 (Intense & deep) hours is still hard gruelling work 

I want to master things in 5000 hours & say fuck you Malcom Gladwell, Look Bitch!

Then I can continue enjoying my deepening of mastery until 10,000 hours & beyond

Edited by Striving for more

5 minutes ago, Striving for more said:

I want to master things in 5000 hours & say fuck you Malcom Gladwell, Look Bitch!

When you get to 10,000 you might reconsider what mastery really means. Like how most teenagers think they're completely mature, and then look back at how stupid they really were a decade later. The thing is you don't even know how much you don't know, a topic might be considerably more deep than you think, even after you're 5,000 hours in.

2,000 hours is the equivalent of working full-time on something for a year. At that point I think it's pretty safe to call yourself a subject matter expert. You can probably work your craft with skill and grace, you have a whole process for doing things and you've worked through all the common mistakes and problems. The difference between 2k and 10k is expert vs world class mastery.

Look up a video like "Guitar skill levels" for a clear example of how big the gap is between an expert and a master. It's not that an expert isn't good, it's that a true master is godlike.

If you do the pomodoro technique it will take less, if you have proper nutrition for focus take less, etc etc..

And also if you are talking about jobs or money you can get rich by just beign above average in a couple of competence fields, 10000 hours are for world-class skill level.

2 hours ago, Striving for more said:

It can take shorter or longer. Depending on how you're able to handle deliberate practice (it's hard). The number itself is just an average.

10k hour should be taken as a concept.it take u maybe 20k or 15k to reach top 1%.10k hour rule is to give us a idea of how much work will produce expertise.to really become top of the field u beed 20-30000 hours.in kriya yoga 25,000 to 30,000 hours of practice produce nirvikalpaka samadhi

3 hours ago, Striving for more said:

Imagine believing you can slice reality in such an autistic/systematizer way. 

~~~~

Reality is not binary like this. 

Contemplate: Exactly what point is mastery achieved?

Open your mind to the possibility that mastery is something held in the perspective of an individual. Mastery in one's eyes is not Mastery in the next. You can practice for 10000 hours and still be dogshit at something, because you weren't implementing a proper practice routine that was challenging you. A practice routine needs to be designed in such a way that you put your full conscious effort into the routine such that it feels like a workout and it stretches you a little bit every time. 

Forget about trying to track the hours, just focus on figuring out a practice routine that you can enjoy putting countless hours into.  Falling in love with the practice itself. The painter paints because he likes to paint, not because he likes to make pretty pictures. 

Edited by ZenSwift

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

Mastery is basically insane levels of practice (repetition + feedback). It also requires designing your practice to me more challenging in increments to create more resistance.

10000 hours seems about right to do it things properly. You could have all the talent in the world, but without sufficient practice to hone in those skills. 

8 hours ago, Michal__ said:

It can take shorter or longer. Depending on how you're able to handle deliberate practice (it's hard). The number itself is just an average.

8 hours ago, ZenSwift said:
11 hours ago, Striving for more said:

Imagine believing you can slice reality in such an autistic/systematizer way. 

~~~~

Reality is not binary like this. 

Contemplate: Exactly what point is mastery achieved?

Open your mind to the possibility that mastery is something held in the perspective of an individual. Mastery in one's eyes is not Mastery in the next. You can practice for 10000 hours and still be dogshit at something, because you weren't implementing a proper practice routine that was challenging you. A practice routine needs to be designed in such a way that you put your full conscious effort into the routine such that it feels like a workout and it stretches you a little bit every time. 

Forget about trying to track the hours, just focus on figuring out a practice routine that you can enjoy putting countless hours into.  Falling in love with the practice itself. The painter paints because he likes to paint, not because he likes to make pretty pictures. 

+1

got nothing to add! those were spot on! 

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

It's rhetoric.

Not to be taken literally.

Of course it's helpful to realise that time and energy are finite, and what you focus on daily, over time improves exponentially.

What's not helpful is worrying when you will achieve "mastery".

People who are said to have achieved mastery, are still working just as hard to improve every day.

There is no finish line.

The learning never stops.

So better pick something you love.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@Striving for more The point is to spend 7-10 years in full time practice.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

It probably is a good estimate. But the point is not the number itself. The point is to be inspired by it. 10.000 is more inspirational than 9.000 or 8.000. So it has more impactf, basically.