Loba

How do you get an idea of where you are at on this path?

52 posts in this topic

I had some insights and experiences recently around spirits, reincarnation, plant medicine and the Buddhist wheel - so that would make me new to Buddhism.

I am not looking for enlightenment, I find the other stuff more interesting.  If I get it, I get it, if I don't in this life, I am okay with that.

But what I want to know, is when communicating with someone, what is a good way to determine how far we each have gotten?  I don't like the idea of talking like I know more than I do to someone; what is a good measurement?  Surely there must be something.  I'm more into shamanism, so, for me, it won't be enlightenment or present awareness that I would be adept at, but traversing spiritual planes of existence I can do very well; albeit, always room for improvement.

I'm at the point where I know more than I thought about myself, but certainly not much, still, when compared to how much there is to understand about reality.

So now I have no idea; I over-humbled myself and don't want to over-do what I "think" I know, either, as that's a recipe for not learning anything new.

Thanks!  I hope I worded this alright.

5 minutes ago, Loba said:

I am not looking for enlightenment, I find the other stuff more interesting.  If I get it, I get it, if I don't in this life, I am okay with that.

This does not sound genuine .. in actuality, you wouldn’t be okay if you don’t become enlightened .. you wouldn’t have even started the path if this was the case.

To answer the question, the measure of your success will be directly correlated with how much you can love existence itself, unconditionally.

Edited by Terell Kirby

@Terell Kirby I didn't start the path, I had a spontaneous awakening in '16, that lead me here.

Just now, Terell Kirby said:

To answer the question, the measure of your success will be directly correlated with how much you can love existence itself, unconditionally.

Awwww!!!  That's great!  I love this.

8 minutes ago, Loba said:

I didn't start the path, I had a spontaneous awakening in '16, that lead me here.

If the awakening didn’t include the realization of you as God, then it’s not a real awakening. Best to be realistic here.

@Terell Kirby
It was just God there in the environment, within nature itself.  I let go of the fear of death, so it felt very real to me, as there was nothing left to hold onto, and then God was just... there... like sluffing off a skin or something over my eyes, you know?

I had a few more after that up until '17, and then many deep insights, and many awakenings this past year having gone into death again.  Most of my experiences are direct ones, with a few that were directed by reading a lot.

I just want to be sure when talking to folks that I don't get ahead of myself; and if there was a guide out there that I could read on where I might be at - although I do know that ultimately there are no "levels", just for the sake of not talking over someone or maybe getting into a conversation where I "think" I know more, having that guide would be awesome - just for the sake of being conversationally fair; proficient; helpful and grounded.

Edited by Loba

1 minute ago, Terell Kirby said:

If the awakening didn’t include the realization of you as God, then it’s not a real awakening. Best to be realistic here.

We shouldn't gatekeep what awakening is...

3 minutes ago, Loba said:

It was just God there in the environment, within nature itself. 

Hate to break it to you, but this ain’t awakening. God isn’t within nature, nature is within God…as is all of Existence.

4 minutes ago, Nos7algiK said:

We shouldn't gatekeep what awakening is...

To live in a world of should and shouldn’t is the ego’s game. I’ll pass on that.

@Terell Kirby I know what you mean.  This might be the example that I am talking about; where I do have some education on this to understand where you come from, but not the 'God is me' realization... yet... but many others that do show the illumination in the outer environment and clarity of mind that comes with an awakening.

I do view God as everything, that it makes up everything, but I simply have not felt in direct experience being God.

The ego has disappeared many times, though, and I do see it, and can put together the pieces, and I have a faith I will experience it someday.

Maybe I might need a psychedelic.  What was your I am God experience like?

4 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

To live in a world of should and shouldn’t is the ego’s game. I’ll pass on that.

And yet here you are...living in a world of should and shouldn'ts.

@LobaYour experience is your own and valid. Other's can not take that away from you.

To answer your question though about seeing how far we have come it's a bit tricky. Sure, your capacity for love is a great measure. But, to look at your "old self" in comparison to your "current self" can create a divide or expectation to continue on with that momentum carrying on. Not saying that will happen, but if you are happy now with yourself and the environment you are in then that's what matters the most.

Edited by Nos7algiK

For enlightenment: degree of disgust or embarrassment with how naive you were three days ago, on any given day. Until you’re done. Although it’s highly unlikely you’re even on that path. Many who think they’re done literally haven’t even taken the first step in that direction.

For consciousness work: degree of freedom from fear (of death).

@Nos7algiK I know, I view it as valid, but also that they may have an experience (or many) to share that I have not had yet and view that as valid as well, because many have had stronger, more profound awakenings.  I can't gauge yet.  Sometimes people come in talking like this and they really do know and some do not, but I do not know this person well enough to make that assessment. 

14 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Slow down cowboy.  There are many facets to awakening.  One can realize no self yet not realize  they are Awareness or God.   

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@The0Self I don't fear death very much, but when face to face with it, I do see it's presence as either comforting or sending me on a very strong journey due to not being aligned with it.

I certainly feel that, when I grow it can be very hard to see how I was just weeks ago.  And it happens so fast, you almost want to be unaware again at times, but it's a good thing.

I am thinking maybe still advanced beginner.  So, certainly, I know some things, but there is just... so, so so much further I could take it and should keep my ears open.

6 minutes ago, Loba said:

@Terell Kirby What was your I am God experience like?

To describe it with language would not do it justice. Since you are the only thing that exists, the answers are all within you .. it will take lots of courage and fortitude to come to the realization.

As you can tell by the reactions to my speaking of the Truth, many will try to dissuade and discourage you .. mainly because they lack the courage to find it in themselves. By all means, don’t let it deter you. Best of luck.

4 minutes ago, Loba said:

@Nos7algiK I know, I view it as valid, but also that they may have an experience (or many) to share that I have not had yet and view that as valid as well, because many have had stronger, more profound awakenings.  I can't gauge yet.  Sometimes people come in talking like this and they really do know and some do not, but I do not know this person well enough to make that assessment. 

This is true, but there is a general sense of relativity that comes into play that better isn't always "better" and further isn't always "further". It good to hear what others have to say about their experiences, but even with that being said you fully could have pieces of the puzzle someone who seems further doesn't.

What matters the most, in my opinion, is you love yourself, share this love with others, and have faith that your self and your guides (I know you mentioned them a few times) will get you where you need. But, it seems like you already have all of this by what you are saying. :)

I guess my question is, how did you guys know where you were at on the path?

1 minute ago, Terell Kirby said:

As you can tell by the reactions to my speaking of the Truth, many will try to dissuade and discourage you .. mainly because they lack the courage to find it in themselves. By all means, don’t let it deter you. Best of luck.

That's extremally self deluding and self preserving. If I was to truly project all my experiences on another in such a way like you are, I'd just come off as an entitled asshat.

An important skill to have is being able to help people, not sitting up in the mountains telling others if they aren't here they aren't anything. But, to come down from that mountain and meet people as they are without revealing the true capacity for our own knowledge. It's important to help empower others, not with ourselves but showing themselves their own empowerment. To help build their faith in their own healthy experiences.

@Terell Kirby Thanks dude!  I'll do my best.

@Nos7algiK Thanks!  That eased my mind a bit.  I wanted to share some experiences, but I didn't want to take it too far and share something with someone who was like, really far along and already knew - and I'm hear trying to school someone who's been there or something - that would be embarrassing.  

I guess there are just so many facets all we can really do is just put them together as a team and see what we get.

I think what I realized is that I was farther along than I thought, but with that came some awareness of how little I had gotten as well.  So it was a mixture of getting somewhere, but also seeing that other people have these experiences and they are valid and real and I wasn't aware of it to the same degree I am now.  So it's like... I guess I am still a beginner, but not one that thinks they are "all that."

Edited by Loba

3 minutes ago, Nos7algiK said:

An important skill to have is being able to help people, not sitting up in the mountains telling others if they aren't here they aren't anything. But, to come down from that mountain and meet people as they are without revealing the true capacity for our own knowledge. It's important to help empower others, not with ourselves but showing themselves their own empowerment. To help build their faith in their own healthy experiences.

It's a balance of both.  Let's merge the two of you together and we will have it.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Just now, Inliytened1 said:

It's a balance of both.  Let's merge the two of you together and we will have it.

Lol I’ll pass .. that wouldn’t help me one bit.