Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamEuphoria93

Supplementation And Diet For Schizophrenia Treatment

4 posts in this topic

I am a schizophrenic that does not respond to antipsychotics. I am in need of dietary changes and a supplement regimen in order to get my symptoms under control. I have heard of cases where people with this disorder have overcome it through supplementation and dieting alone. I'm looking for input from people that have experience with this, or at least have knowledge of this. 

Thanks in advance, 

Sam

8 hours ago, SamEuphoria93 said:

I am a schizophrenic that does not respond to antipsychotics.

Learn Osho's dynamic meditation.

Talk with your psychiatrist if you would like to try treating your schizophrenia with diet alterations.

Step 1

Reduce sugar, carbohydrate and caffeine intake. This will help your blood sugar stay balanced. Many drugs prescribed to treat schizophrenia can mess with your blood sugar, so avoiding excess stimulants can help keep it at a desired level. A study published by Nutrition and Metabolism has indicated an alleviation of many symptoms associated with schizophrenia by following a low-carbohydrate diet. Foods to avoid include candy, soda, bread, crackers, some fruits and vegetables and coffee.

Step 2

Add foods containing essential fatty acids. People with schizophrenia have reduced amounts of these fatty acids in their brains, so adding foods that contain them can help treat the illness. Good sources include fish, nuts and olive oil. Incorporating them into the diet can help you feel better and provide more control over your schizophrenia.

Step 3

Increase your antioxidant levels. Antioxidants are responsible for counteracting oxidation in your body that can cause other health concerns, such as cancer. Specifically, people with schizophrenia experience increased oxidation in the brain. Adding foods that contain vitamins A, C and E can help treat this issue. In addition, avoiding burnt and fried foods reduces the amount of oxidation likely to occur in your brain. Antioxidant foods include beans, berries, apples, plums and pecans.

Step 4

Take a daily multivitamin. Niacin deficiency can produce thought disorders, hallucinations and depression, so taking a megadose of niacin daily can help you reduce these symptoms associated with your schizophrenia. Your doctor will work with you on how much you should get daily. In addition, adequate intake of B vitamins and folic acid is responsible for maintaining the chemical balance in your brain. Increasing your intake can help you achieve this balance, thereby alleviating the severity of your schizophrenia symptoms. Finally, many mental illnesses result in a zinc deficiency, so your doctor may recommend taking a multivitamin containing zinc. In some cases, you may have to take these nutrients separately in supplement form because a traditional multivitamin might not have the high levels of the vitamins that you need.

Step 5

Cut gluten out of your diet. Mental illness often produces a sensitivity to gluten, which can result in many of the symptoms of schizophrenia. Eliminating gluten sources from your diet will reduce these issues. Gluten is present in foods that contain wheat, rye, barley and their byproducts. Read labels to be sure you are completely avoiding foods that aren't gluten-free. Common foods you will need to avoid include bread, crackers, many cereals, soy sauce, baked goods, beer and some other alcoholic drinks.

I have schizophrenia. I do avoid caffeine. Avoiding gluten made a huge difference for me(but didn't cure me).

For me, supps didn't make a huge difference and I've tried many that have been found to be useful for schizophrenia.

Here are some I've tried, you could research them. In order of usefulness for me:
Sarcosine, Pregnenolone, NAC, L-lysine, Fish oil, L-theanine, Curcumin, L-methylfolate, Niacin, Ginkgo biloba, Ginseng.

I took Sarcosine for over 3 years but quit because it was not wroth the price for me(only helped memory), some people say it cured their negative symptoms, I think it's your best bet to try to get rid of negatives.

Edited by Godex