itachi uchiha

How can i improve my writing skills

15 posts in this topic

If i can improve my writing skills then i can help people and ask better question to people.so what are some good books and courses i should take to improve my writing skills

Don't look at writing as a whole, you need to go more specialized than that and focus on one area.

• Fiction books
  • Non-fiction books
  • Copywriting (sales pages, etc)
  • Blogs and articles
  • Even effectively communicating online in a casual format... like forum or Reddit posts

all have very different sets of rules and what makes "good" or "bad" writing for each.

I write blog posts for a living and my clients are very happy with my work. But if I used the same structure and syntax to write an essay in college I'd probably get an F.

If you feel like you're lacking in general English skills (less than a high school level) then maybe find an adult English class at a high school level locally, or maybe there are online courses for this.

Edited by Yarco

Write consistently. Read some good writers/books. Find someone who you think is an excellent writer and learn from them through their work. Try to imitate them for fun. 

The steaming service Master Class has several different kinds of writers available to learn from.

And I'd say, develop a philosophical background for asking good questions. Just reading a chapter in Plato's Republic expanded my thinking process significantly. 

Some writers and books I've specifically enjoyed are Terence McKenna (True Hallucinations), Alan Watts (The Wisdom of Insecurity), Paulo Coelho (The Alchemist), Mark Twain (The adventures of Tom Sawyer), John Steinbeck (Of mice and men), Shakespeare, and Walt Whitman (Leaves of green)

@Yarco

58 minutes ago, Yarco said:

I write blog posts for a living and my clients are very happy with my work. 

Damn that is owsome

I want to write on reddit and forums like this.i want to ask help from people and also help people.

How did u develop good writing skills.is there a particular framework to use.did u develop ur writing skills from your own ideas 

On 15.12.2021 at 8:46 AM, itachi uchiha said:

@Yarco

Damn that is owsome

I want to write on reddit and forums like this.i want to ask help from people and also help people.

How did u develop good writing skills.is there a particular framework to use.did u develop ur writing skills from your own ideas 

I think one has to figure out how to switch on the inner monologue. I would start with implementing good self talking skills. That can be made with reading fiction, audiobooks, movies and self talk. 

@Epikur i am telling u we  need to develope writing skills.it will come in handy in the future.when we acquire 10 or 15 years of experience in self help we can write a book about and it will sell well if we deploy correct marketing techniques.rollo tomassi started learning about sexual dynamics in 2000.in 2015 ,15 years later he wrote rational male.if we put in the effort and be sincere ,we can make money by writing book.all we need is to learn some writing skills and apply it whenever we write a post in this forum or in any other forum

2 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

@Epikur i am telling u we  need to develope writing skills.it will come in handy in the future.when we acquire 10 or 15 years of experience in self help we can write a book about and it will sell well if we deploy correct marketing techniques.rollo tomassi started learning about sexual dynamics in 2000.in 2015 ,15 years later he wrote rational male.if we put in the effort and be sincere ,we can make money by writing book.all we need is to learn some writing skills and apply it whenever we write a post in this forum or in any other forum

You mean when I am 65 years old. lol.

Reading books is the wrong approach here, imo.  You want experience.

Write long essays on the forum, assert your ideas, open yourself up to criticism, and use "big" words you barely understand wherever you can (double checking their definitions on google).  You will only gain new skills from a "need".  If you need big words and perfect reasoning to win a debate, then those skills will automatically get picked up as you debate more.  Reading a book doesn't create any kind of "need" whatsoever, so integrating any skills from a book will be much more of a struggle.

So basically, just role-play an arrogant "know-it-all".  This will force you to actually gain the skills needed to convincingly pull it off, and will put you in situations where your debate/writing skills get challenged.  Doesn't matter if you don't actually know anything, just say e.g. "Earth is flat" and then try to somehow still win the arguments despite being completely wrong.  A master debater can will any argument, regardless if they're right or wrong.

Edited by thisintegrated

It's so interesting how there are so many people who are experts on so many different topics in this forum.

Anyway, for me, it was reading books, listening to seminars, and writing essays that helped me become a better writer. I think that Leo is a really good writer actually, so listening to his videos will make you a better writer. Maybe write a few research papers on various topics that interest you. Explain you ideas in an orderly, clear, and concise manner as if a very large number of people were going to read it. Also, listen to internet debates and engage in debates. Debaters are the most skilled writers in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Ninja_pig said:

It's so interesting how there are so many people who are experts on so many different topics in this forum.

Anyway, for me, it was reading books, listening to seminars, and writing essays that helped me become a better writer. I think that Leo is a really good writer actually, so listening to his videos will make you a better writer. Maybe write a few research papers on various topics that interest you. Explain you ideas in an orderly, clear, and concise manner as if a very large number of people were going to read it. Also, listen to internet debates and engage in debates. Debaters are the most skilled writers in my opinion.

Essays and debates?

Glad someone agrees with me?

21 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

use "big" words you barely understand wherever you can (double checking their definitions on google).  You will only gain new skills from a "need".  If you need big words and perfect reasoning to win a debate, then those skills will automatically get picked up as you debate more.  

So basically, just role-play an arrogant "know-it-all". 

This is true at some stage, but it eventually comes back around full circle. A truly good writer can think in big words if they have to. But they can also dumb themselves down and explain complicated or technical subjects using simple easy-to-understand language. This is particularly important when writing for the web. I use tools like Hemingway App to help craft most of my writing to be understandable at a 5th or 6th grade reading level.

If you role-play the arrogant know-it-all for too long, you actually become one. The big words may stump people through frustration, but people are rarely impressed by them xD. A good writer can own you in a debate without big words.

I agree with you that reading books will not help build writing skill though.

On 01/05/2022 at 0:12 AM, Yarco said:

This is true at some stage, but it eventually comes back around full circle. A truly good writer can think in big words if they have to. But they can also dumb themselves down and explain complicated or technical subjects using simple easy-to-understand language. This is particularly important when writing for the web. I use tools like Hemingway App to help craft most of my writing to be understandable at a 5th or 6th grade reading level.

If you role-play the arrogant know-it-all for too long, you actually become one. The big words may stump people through frustration, but people are rarely impressed by them xD. A good writer can own you in a debate without big words.

I agree with you that reading books will not help build writing skill though.

Expanding vocabulary isn't optional.  Sure you don't always need to use big words, but there must be something in your routine that expands your vocabulary.  Otherwise, you'll spend decades using English every day yet not progress even a single year in terms of English proficiency.

On 01/05/2022 at 0:12 AM, Yarco said:

..you actually come to know it all, if you play arrogant long enough?

The best liars can make the lie come true.

Write in a flow.

Write as much as you can & keep on doing it, keep a writing schedule.

When you start don't care about what others might say.

Set a time you start. write in block of 2 -3 hours get the idea you want to write.

keep schedule and keep sections. If you say you want to do one idea today, tommorow the next section .

If you keep schedule and keep the pace within a couple of month you can have an entire book.

write as long as you can.

keep a note book.

It could also improve you sleep. 

Write your ideas on the list. 

It will come naturally.

Use apps like Notion, Remnote etc

On 29/04/2022 at 9:48 PM, thisintegrated said:

Reading books is the wrong approach here, imo.  You want experience.

Write long essays on the forum, assert your ideas, open yourself up to criticism, and use "big" words you barely understand wherever you can (double checking their definitions on google).  You will only gain new skills from a "need".  If you need big words and perfect reasoning to win a debate, then those skills will automatically get picked up as you debate more.  Reading a book doesn't create any kind of "need" whatsoever, so integrating any skills from a book will be much more of a struggle.

So basically, just role-play an arrogant "know-it-all".  This will force you to actually gain the skills needed to convincingly pull it off, and will put you in situations where your debate/writing skills get challenged.  Doesn't matter if you don't actually know anything, just say e.g. "Earth is flat" and then try to somehow still win the arguments despite being completely wrong.  A master debater can will any argument, regardless if they're right or wrong.

Nice one.