Carl-Richard

What is Systems thinking?

27 posts in this topic

I love your worldview and take on systems thinking @Carl-Richard thank you for taking the time to write that up and present it the way you did. I read the whole thing. 

I am a first year psychology student at a UK university and what I have noticed is the way I approach any topic or theory is from a systematic theoretical perspective. However, I am aware I am only just scratching the surface. What would you propose one would do to become a deeper more holistic systems thinker? 

7 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

Very good gist of systems thinking. Has a 4x stratagy game feel to it.

Thanks! Sort of :D 

2 hours ago, Charlotte said:

I love your worldview and take on systems thinking @Carl-Richard thank you for taking the time to write that up and present it the way you did. I read the whole thing. 

Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, Charlotte said:

I am a first year psychology student at a UK university and what I have noticed is the way I approach any topic or theory is from a systematic theoretical perspective. However, I am aware I am only just scratching the surface. What would you propose one would do to become a deeper more holistic systems thinker? 

If you're staying in psychology, you'll most likely run into some systems thinking sooner or later (some sub-fields are more explicit about it than others). So my advice is to stay curious and wait for the right curriculum :D It's very helpful in itself to just be aware of the fact that systems thinking is a thing when you come across it in some of your books, because that makes the reading so much more interesting. Other than that, I suggest checking out "The Systems View of Life" by Fritjof Capra and Pier Luigi Luisi. It's a very comprehensive summary of everything about systems thinking:

Over the past thirty years, a new systemic conception of life has emerged at the forefront of science. New emphasis has been given to complexity, networks, and patterns of organisation, leading to a novel kind of 'systemic' thinking. This volume integrates the ideas, models, and theories underlying the systems view of life into a single coherent framework. Taking a broad sweep through history and across scientific disciplines, the authors examine the appearance of key concepts such as autopoiesis, dissipative structures, social networks, and a systemic understanding of evolution. The implications of the systems view of life for health care, management, and our global ecological and economic crises are also discussed. Written primarily for undergraduates, it is also essential reading for graduate students and researchers interested in understanding the new systemic conception of life and its implications for a broad range of professions - from economics and politics to medicine, psychology and law.

51Dfmdt9rBL._AC_SY580_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Systems-View-Life-Unifying-Vision/dp/1316616436

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard thanks for your response! Will be ordering the recommended book. Look forward to any potential future posts you write ☺️ happy holidays! ??☃️

5 hours ago, Charlotte said:

@Carl-Richard thanks for your response! Will be ordering the recommended book. Look forward to any potential future posts you write ☺️ happy holidays! ??☃️

? Happy holidays!

On 1.1.2022 at 6:22 PM, Raphael said:

Hey, awesome post! :)

I'm curious about something: have you read Thinking in Systems: International Bestseller and/or The Tao of Systems Thinking: Exploring the Parallels Between Eastern Mysticism and Systems Thinking?  If yes, would you recommend reading them after The Systems View of Life?

Thank you :)

No I haven't read any of those, but The Tao of Systems Thinking is obviously inspired by Capra's The Tao of Physics. I haven't even read much of The Systems View of Life :P