machinegun

Why is Leo Gura rich?

76 posts in this topic

In a recent thread he claimed that Trump's tax policies actually helped his earnings and that he is "rich". Isn't this anti-spiritual and hypocritical to his teachings? Also, where is the money going? To savings? tf??

Another thing I always found fishy was how he lives in Las Vegas. The city was started by the mafia and his home to the most gaudy flashiest stores, restaurants, and strip clubs, but has close to nothing else to offer. He claims a big reason he lives there is because of taxes. Like jeezus, money is a LOT  more important to this guy than I thought.

@machinegun not defending him but there is no truth or law in universe that says rich is unspiritual.

you can be  a billionaire and if you are totally unattached to the wealth , all the money will be just pieces of paper for you. 

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

Why can't people work hard and have nice things, and also be spiritual? Why are you creating this artificial barrier? Why does he have some obligation to suddenly donate all his savings to charity and live like a hobo just because he became enlightened?

Maybe he can contribute more good to the world when his life is stable and he doesn't have to worry about paying bills and living in scarcity lower on Maslow's pyramid, did you think of that? Poor people with 2 jobs can't meditate for 3 hours a day or take a week off to do a meditation retreat or psychedelics. Maybe he wants to buy a $5,000 camera for his work without worrying about it, or living in a bad neighborhood where you can hear gunshots in the background of his videos.

What is the max limit on salary or savings you find "acceptable" for a spiritual person to have? And how did you come to this realization? Is it conveniently about the same amount you have?

stay mad and jelly, have fun being poor and not spiritually developed

Edited by Yarco

@Godhead You're making a straw man of what I typed out. Of course you don't need to be poor to be spiritual. I'm asking why he needs the money. I wonder what he uses it for.

@Yarco Nobody's mad except you lmao. You don't need an income of over 400k to meditate everyday.  And, if you were actually spiritually developed you would understand that being impoverished isn't the worst thing in the world. Leo biggest contribution to the world is his YouTube channel which doesn't require a fortune to run.

But if he's making lifestyle choices specifically revolving around money, then clearly it's important to him. And, it's definitely not so he can buy nice things. It could be because he wants to be able to afford certain things, but not for the purpose of luxury.

Spirituality is not about living a life in opposition to what you want.
It's about exploring the relationship with yourself, discovering what you truly are, and having no inhibition to being it.

There is no conflict between spirituality and wealth. 

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

2 hours ago, machinegun said:

In a recent thread he claimed that Trump's tax policies actually helped his earnings and that he is "rich". Isn't this anti-spiritual and hypocritical to his teachings? Also, where is the money going? To savings? tf??

Another thing I always found fishy was how he lives in Las Vegas. The city was started by the mafia and his home to the most gaudy flashiest stores, restaurants, and strip clubs, but has close to nothing else to offer. He claims a big reason he lives there is because of taxes. Like jeezus, money is a LOT  more important to this guy than I thought.

There is not one legitimate reason that says you cant be an enlightened millionaire throwing 1$ bills at the local strip club, while ordering your 6th beer ,indulding in fast food, patiently waiting for the UFC fight to begin because you bet half your net-worth on a fighter just for fun. If you think otherwise, you didnt get the joke yet.

Your ideas about spirituality are rooted in conditioning.
Your assumptions are rooted in ignorance. 
Your ignorance is rooted in ego. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather So... he rakes in money just because he can? The last three lines would apply to a lot of people, but unfortunately not to me in this case. 

@machinegun  why do you think that you need to be broke in order to be enlightened or spiritual? Leo is a small business owner among other things, he created a course and products that have earned him hundreds of thousands of dollars while helping people. Myself, I've had just ridiculous benefits from taking his course and today I would have happily paid 5 grant for that course if I knew how much it would bring back. 

Does someone who creates something like that deserve to become rich? Fuck yeah. Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because somebody earns a lot of money, they are "in it for the buck". No, money was a sideproduct of his passion, commitment and creating a purple cow that people desire. 

Following one's passion and helping people is hard if one is stuck in a rot, earning little money and having no financial freedom. Doesn't mean they are money hungry, it just means they've played their cards well and can now reap the benefits. 

Seems like you have a huge stage orange shadow following you. Make sure you allow yourself to integrate it in a healthy way 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

" If you could float above the earth and become aware of all the negativity that is going on, you would never laugh again. The world is ruled by negative emotions."  - Ocke de Boer

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

3 hours ago, machinegun said:

Lol, theres nothing spiritual about being broke... Leave that dogma behind.

There are many spiritual schools. Thinking that you somehow need to renounce you ability to enjoy Gods creation is actually pretty anti spiritual.

If you wanna have an impact on the world, and live a deeply spiritual life thats gonna be hard if your worried about how your gonna pay rent or medical bills, or have to work a wage slave job for 35-40 hours a week.

Leo puts out most of his work for free... and his course is pennies compared to what many life coaches charge.

Chill bro.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

2 hours ago, machinegun said:

@Godhead You're making a straw man of what I typed out. Of course you don't need to be poor to be spiritual. I'm asking why he needs the money. I wonder what he uses it for.

You said that being rich is "anti-spiritual" - that sort of implies that one is the most spiritual when poor. He probably spends his money like most people do..  why do you care so much? 

3 hours ago, machinegun said:

The city was started by the mafia and his home to the most gaudy flashiest stores, restaurants, and strip clubs, but has close to nothing else to offer

That seems like quite a bit to offer. What do you consider a "Spiritual" city, in which all the enlightened folk should live? 

4 hours ago, happyhappy said:

@machinegun not defending him but there is no truth or law in universe that says rich is unspiritual.

Actually, there is. If spirituality is the realization that you are dead/eternal, then seeking money becomes unspiritual. Any seeking activity is antithetical to spirituality for that matter, because the spirit is all there is, so what are you seeking except your delusions?

Now, I'm not saying Leo is this way or that way, but that's how it is with money and spirituality. You can test this in your own experience. Just look at how detached you are from any of your possessions, and you'll quickly realize that what you said is nonsense.

The truth is that you can't have it both ways. You can't claim idealism and then act materialistically, it's just hypocritical. I myself have gone poor because I left all materialism behind and sought after God for over 5 years until I found it. Now, I'm done seeking after God and I'll be chasing after money again. I am 100% honest.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

2 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Actually, there is. If spirituality is the realization that you are dead/eternal, then seeking money becomes unspiritual. .

Why would that mean anything? If you are eternal there is no meaning, therefore you can do what you want. 

seeking being antithetical to spirituality , or earning good money being antithetical, is your own logic contradicting itself. 

I think this because you are trying to seek a limited expression of spirituality through your dogma. But, all is spirit, all is you. So, you can express your own spirit and desires as you wish. That’s Gods love IMO.

so, whatever you do your doing nothing. Might as well enjoy the experience instead of depriving yourself. 

also, for a lot of people we have survival needs that need to be met before we can achieve these higher levels of detachment.

also, detachment and renouncing things are more the first two turns of the wheel of Buddhism… the third turning is more enjoying spirituality and indulgence once you’ve been liberated.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

31 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

you can do what you want. 

What you want is not what is. The nature of desire is that it seeks what isn't and distracts from what is. That's how it is. Check in your own direct experience and see.

And of course, you can do whatever you want, but that's called "ego" not higher self. If you want to follow the ego, that's totally fine and I'm not against it. But then you're not spiritual, nor selfless, nor highly conscious. If you follow your ego, then you're unspiritual, selfish, and low consciousness.

And don't take it from me, ask Leo himself. He's the one who sets spirituality, selflessness, and higher consciousness on a pedestal, not me (at least at the moment). For me personally, as I said, I am currently chasing after money. I don't care about being selfless right now, and I am honest about it.

You guys want spirituality to be this sweet romantic thing that allows everything, but it just can't be that way. There's a trade-off between survival and spirituality, and Leo said many times that he could have made a lot more money if he wanted to. But he didn't obviously because he has a spiritual side. If you want spirituality to include survival, then you're in the wrong realm buddy.

@Gesundheit2 no man, Karma is a totally fine spiritual path. The higher self can engage in doing what is right for you relative to your situation. 

here we are talking about spirituality on a forum. Glad Leo didn’t just sit around doing nothing with his life. 

spirituality has to include survival. It’s the foundation. So, by skillfully mastering survival you embrace the highest potential for spiritual blossoming. Survival is part of what is… so is enjoying life. 

I think life is beautiful because there is a time for action, a time for sitting, a time for dancing, a time for resting, a time for deep awakening etc… It’s all spirituality to me.

there’s not one monolithic rule for what is or isn’t spiritual. I think your being a little dogmatic. 

you shouldn’t be labeling yourself as spiritual anyway. That’s just another mask. What is, is. 

you can realize what is… okay. The end… wait nope… 

I just don’t think ALL of spirituality boils down to renunciation and selflessness. In fact, there are many facets and aspects of spirituality. Like relationships, karma, service to others, self love, enjoying the fruits of existence… 

Anyway, not trying to argue. Just projecting etc.

many of the best teachers like Osho or Leo respect money and purpose.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

47 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Gesundheit2
spirituality has to include survival. It’s the foundation. 

No, spirituality does not and should not include survival. Survival pollutes spirituality and ruins it for any serious seeker. God does not care about your life. Only you care about your life.

Notice that survival is not the same as breathing and eating and all that basic stuff that happens organically. Survival is a lot broader of a concept than just surviving, and it requires sacrificing goodness and selling your soul to the devil.

there’s not one monolithic rule for what is or isn’t spiritual.

Except that there is. If you want to be spiritual, there are things that you do and things that you don't. Survival is not one of the things you do, it's one of the things that either happen or don't. You're not willing to die for God, and that's fine I'm not asking you to. I'm just telling you how it is, and that your spiritual ego is not true spirituality.

If you want to be a millionaire, there are things that you do and things that you don't. You can't sit around at home and expect to be a millionaire out of nowhere. Same thing with spirituality, but in reverse.

47 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Gesundheit2
you shouldn’t be labeling yourself as spiritual anyway.

If you don't even label/consider yourself spiritual, then why do you feel certified to talk about spirituality?

I think you're confusing post-modernism with spirituality here, which happens a lot.

Edited by Gesundheit2

6 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

If you want to be spiritual, there are things that you do and things that you don't. 

What you are talking about is moralism, which is the exact opposite of spirituality. You are advocating for dogmatic thinking. True spirituality embraces all aspects of reality with the highest Love. Your post tells me that you are far removed from this.

7 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Survival is not one of the things you do, it's one of the things that either happen or don't.

And yet, aren't you surviving? To come on a forum and talk to other humans about what they should and should not do is your attempt to preserve your own ego and its sense of reality. This itself is a survival strategy.

Don't be so quick to fool yourself that you are above survival, being a human means to actively avoid death at all cost. What you call "spirituality" can be cleverly hi-jacked by the ego to serve its survival agenda .. which is what you are doing here.

It helps not to have to worry about money at all if you want to go deep into spirituality. Having lots of money means you can arrange your lifestyle however you want and have ample free time. The more money you have, the more freedom you have. Unless you get so obsessed with making more money that you lose sight of the overall goal

However if that were the case with Leo he would be making clickbaity videos instead of long format lectures

And I'm pretty sure Leo stays in Vegas because of the clubs there lol

Lol,  if you can't survive well... You ain't gonna reach a very high spiritual level. 

The thing is, people have different models of spirituality. 

The mistake is assuming the mountain you are climbing is the "One True One"

Which is false. Reality is an infinitely open ended game.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"