Happy Lizard

Cornel west hits the nail on the head

11 posts in this topic

I’ve never been so happy to see someone talking about this : the US is a social catastrophe,Therefore it fails at generating the right public response to a public heath crisis (COVID-19)

I think this is a fact that no one has hit on yet, I haven’t even seen @Leo Gura speak about it, although he’s aware of all the other systemic problems in the US, probably as it’s one of those situations where it’s water to a fish.

Social life is so bad in the US compared to the standards in so many other places in the world, As a foreigner coming here, it feels like the entire nation is faking it.

Edited by Happy Lizard

I wouldn't trust a country that's denying an active genocide. 

Probably better to compare it to western Europe. 

There are tradeoffs between individualism vs collectivism.

I would still rather live in the US than in China. China has a lot of fucked up problems.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There are tradeoffs between individualism vs collectivism.

I would still rather live in the US than in China. China has a lot of fucked up problems.

I know that you believe that China will probably become economically equal to America, if not become the next superpower of the world. How concerning do you think it will be if China one day also ends up having the strongest military in the world?

@Hardkill The US has a military many fold stronger than Russia or China, yet the US would never be able to war with them. So in practice it makes little difference.

Power is not in the size of the military but in cultural dominance and global alliances.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@Hardkill You US has a military many fold stronger than Russia or China, yet the US would never be able to war with them. So in practice it makes little difference.

What do you mean that the US would never be able to war with them?

There cannot be war between these countries. It would be suicidal.

The US could not even handle Afghanistan.

24 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The US could not even handle Afghanistan.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. However, both Jinping and Putin have become so power hungry to the point of seriously considering to conquer more land for each of their own territories by military force. Russia seems to now be threatening to take over Ukraine and China might very well try to take over Taiwan. Consequently, Biden and the US government now have to deal with this problem by either implementing more sanctions on those countries or actually send some US military troops to both Ukraine and Taiwan to protect those countries from Russia and China respectively. I don't think Biden is going to do what Bush did with the whole war on terror disaster in the Middle East, but it still makes people like me nervous that Biden might actually decide to ultimately fight both China and Russia head on in combat. 

@Leo Gura you don’t see that Qanons, red pill, and god knows what other pathologies are directly related to people not being able to socialize properly? Lake of public transport or public spaces where people can sit or be  walking side by side along others is scary scares I’m the US. 

I don’t think individualism is necessarily  the problem, but a general ignorance of how life is like outside the US, and this stupid fear of ‘others’ that I never understood why is the norm here.

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

both Jinping and Putin have become so power hungry to the point of seriously considering to conquer more land for each of their own territories by military force.

They are smart guys, not idiots.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

91769-Frank-Zappa-Quote-There-will-never-be-a-nuclear-war-there-s-too.jpg

:D

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.