soos_mite_ah

Staying in bed for 1 hour after waking up

26 posts in this topic

I have this tendency where if I dont have anything I immediately need to do, I will wake up and lay in bed for about 45 min to 1 hour before getting up. Is this normal and if so why do I do this lol? Also, how do I reduce this time so I have more time to be productive when I wake up? 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

If it doesn't hinder the rest of your day in terms of productivity I don't see it as a problem. Don't have to min-max everything. But if you do wanna change it, one hack that could work is placing your alarm on the other side of the room so when you wake up you have to physically leave bed in order to turn it off. The only fight then is to put on some clothes instead of going back to bed. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@soos_mite_ah  Lethargy. Simple. Tamas. Heavy mind. Too much garbage in your mind ? purging the mind would help, pranayam would help. Many things would help. Even fixing diet would help.

Edited by Salvijus

1 hour ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I have this tendency where if I dont have anything I immediately need to do, I will wake up and lay in bed for about 45 min to 1 hour before getting up. Is this normal and if so why do I do this lol? Also, how do I reduce this time so I have more time to be productive when I wake up? 

Lol same here..... 

?IngitScooby ?

38 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

@soos_mite_ah  Lethargy. Simple. Tamas. Heavy mind. Too much garbage in your mind ? purging the mind would help, pranayam would help. Many things would help. Even fixing diet would help.

1 hour ago, Max_V said:

If it doesn't hinder the rest of your day in terms of productivity I don't see it as a problem. Don't have to min-max everything. But if you do wanna change it, one hack that could work is placing your alarm on the other side of the room so when you wake up you have to physically leave bed in order to turn it off. The only fight then is to put on some clothes instead of going back to bed. 

Thankfully, this doesn't affect my productivity much, granted I don't beat myself for not waking up earlier. I have this thing where if I wake up late, I try to reframe the situation from *oh no I woke up at noon and wasted half of my day* to *ok this my first waking hour, what would I do then considering my time frame going forward (like what would I do if I woke up at 7 am and it was 8 now)* I found that helped immensely in terms of productivity.  I also noticed how much I sleep is much more important than what time I fell asleep and what time I woke up. 

I've tried the whole placing my alarm across the room and fixing my diet. I have noticed however that when I'm depressed, this hour turns into 2 hours or so because I can't get out of bed. So maybe the whole "garbage in my mind" might be applicable. I've never tried pranayam though so that might be something I could look into.  

I suppose this could fall into the territory of min maxing since again, this "issue" isn't affecting my productivity and ability to function in life. I guess this is coming from this sort of ideal of what a functioning person looks like and how pretty much every self improvement person is like *I waKe uP aT thE CRacK Of DAwn*. And next thing you know you associate having to wake up at 5 am as a prerequisite to getting your life together. 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

25 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

ideal of what a functioning person looks like and how pretty much every self improvement person is like *I waKe uP aT thE CRacK Of DAwn*. And next thing you know you associate having to wake up at 5 am as a prerequisite to getting your life together. 

Haha, lol.

But ironicly, it's easier to wake up at 6am then to wake up at 8am. I don't know why. But somehow it works like that. If you sleep too much it sinks you down and increases that lethargy in the system. At least that's what I noticed from experience.

@Salvijus I guess it would depend on what time you go to sleep. Personally, I naturally go to sleep between 12 and 1 (or if my sleep schedule if fucked up between 2 and 3) so for me waking up at 6 would mean I'm getting less than 6 hours of sleep which is simply not sustainable for me to keep up. I find that 8/9 works best for me but then again, I do have a lot of flexibility in my schedule regarding mornings since I am a college student who lives a short walking distance from my classes. 

Also, I know a lot of people talk about sleeping too much and how that can fuck with how energized they feel. Honestly, I have never felt that lol. 

4 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Also, I know a lot of people talk about sleeping too much and how that can fuck with how energized they feel. Honestly, I have never felt that lol. 

I mean it's kind of like... when I watch TV all day. I lose enourmos energy and I become super lazy and tired tho I was just sitting on a couch. And on a contrary, when I work all day and do physical activity I don't feel lazy or tired I feel on fire with energy.

It's like the more you rest, the more lazy you become or smth. Of course this applies within a certain limits only. Rest is needed also.

Edited by Salvijus

@soos_mite_ah usually those people who clean their mind everyday wake up at 5am effortlessly. Some more advanced yogis and meditators sleep like 4h a day and are okey, because their mind is so fresh, no tamasic energy in it.

Do a vipassana retreat, you'll start to wake up at 6am effortlessly I can guarantee. At least for a while. Depends if you continue the practice ? otherwise the lethargy energy will come back.

Edited by Salvijus

16 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I mean it's kind of like... when I watch TV all day. I lose enourmos energy and I become super lazy and tired tho I was just sitting on a couch. And on a contrary, when I work all day and do physical activity I don't feel lazy or tired I feel on fire with energy.

It's like the more you rest, the more lazy you become or smth. Of course this applies within a certain limits only. Rest is needed also.

I don't think more rest = more laziness rather it more so has to do with a sense of inertia where it's easiest to do whatever you were doing immediately before. I think it also has to do with being attuned to your own needs and being aligned with what you really want rather than what will numb you. I have days every now and then where I'm tired and I want to watch YouTube videos all day and I don't find myself feel incredibly tired or drained afterwards because on some level that's exactly what I needed as a way to take a break from my otherwise busy life.  

Maybe as of right now, watching TV is something that you have exhausted and that's why it feels draining, because it's no longer authentic to you. And instead, being really active is what is aligning with you more at the moment. 

I do this too. Im in Uni with very few in-place lectures and I get up at like 11 o clock, Im such a sloth lmao. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

13 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

more so has to do with a sense of inertia where it's easiest to do whatever you were doing immediately before. I think it also has to do with being attuned to your own needs and being aligned with what you really want rather than what will numb you

Yeah I agree with this. 

Sometimes it happens to me that I wake up at 5am fully bright and awake, but I decide to go to sleep for 1-2h and I wake up totally tired. Wtf is that ? there's some kind of spot in 5-6am where it's easy to wake up. If you miss that then it's a different world altogether.

@Salvijus When I felt my best after coming out of a year long depression I only needed like 4 hours of sleep and I felt incredible.

It made me question all the conventional wisdom about how much sleep is necessary. I find when I'm not feeling great I spend more time in bed because I like the feeling of laying in bed more than whatever I have going on in the day

45 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

Do you want to change this?

I started this thread with the intention to do so and to get some interesting insight as to why this might be happening. But if it turns out to be a nonissue, then not changing this is also an option. It's the whole saying of how you don't need to fix what isn't broken

25 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Salvijus When I felt my best after coming out of a year long depression I only needed like 4 hours of sleep and I felt incredible.

It made me question all the conventional wisdom about how much sleep is necessary. I find when I'm not feeling great I spend more time in bed because I like the feeling of laying in bed more than whatever I have going on in the day

Granted things like being an advanced meditator might impact this but I still have a good dose of skepticism of needing 4 hours of sleep especially after coming out of a year long depressive episode. I'm not saying that this is your case because I don't know you like that, but I have observed with some people who have issues with depression for  a long time, the moment they are out of it, life feels like the best thing ever because they have gotten so used to things sucking all the time. So then you have this drastic pendulum swing emotionally. And as a result, even if they aren't bipolar, it can trigger a manic episode of sorts and one of the symptoms of a manic episode is needing less sleep than average. 

Just now, soos_mite_ah said:

Granted things like being an advanced meditator might impact this but I still have a good dose of skepticism of needing 4 hours of sleep especially after coming out of a year long depressive episode. I'm not saying that this is your case because I don't know you like that, but I have observed with some people who have issues with depression for  a long time, the moment they are out of it, life feels like the best thing ever because they have gotten so used to things sucking all the time. So then you have this drastic pendulum swing emotionally. And as a result, even if they aren't bipolar, it can trigger a manic episode of sorts and one of the symptoms of a manic episode is needing less sleep than average. 

Yeah, I definitely felt like that after coming out of the depression. I think it varies from person to person.

The thing is, you have to ask yourself where the idea of needing 8 hours of sleep came from. And also about manic episodes, if you are passionately engaged with life then it would make sense that you wouldn't want/need as much sleep because more sleep just takes away time from living life.

I guess it depends on what you want, and where you're at in life. But I would much prefer the ability to function on low amounts of sleep, and I wouldn't mind incorporating positive elements of mania, etc.

I think it's definitely possible to live on reduced sleep without the dramatic emotional swings, although I don't doubt that this can happen to lots of people. 

I think it really comes to down how sure you are about the need for sleep, and the reasons for wanting to sleep longer etc. If you inspect it and it really turns out to be true then so be it, but about this topic in particular I am skeptical about conventional wisdom about how sleep you need.

42 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I started this thread with the intention to do so and to get some interesting insight as to why this might be happening. But if it turns out to be a nonissue, then not changing this is also an option. It's the whole saying of how you don't need to fix what isn't broken

You wanna be productive when waking up? Have you once created a morning routine of things that inspire you like spiritual practices and journaling? If so, how did that work out for you?

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

13 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

how do I reduce this time so I have more time to be productive when I wake up? 

It's easy, just get up xD

Seriously, when your alarm goes off, make yourself jump out of bed and don't make just laying there an option. It's just a choice.

I've been in both positions, honestly right now in my life I'm more at a lay in bed for an extra hour stage.

The difference is when I have something I'm so excited about that I'm ready to jump out of bed in the morning and work on it, or something so important that staying in bed isn't an option. Or at the very least, structuring your life in a way that you're not waking up and having to do something that you dread.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, Loving Radiance said:

You wanna be productive when waking up? Have you once created a morning routine of things that inspire you like spiritual practices and journaling? If so, how did that work out for you?

My morning routine consists of me waking up, laying in bed for an hour if I don't have classes first thing in the morning, checking my phone, brushing my teeth and washing my face, drinking some water, and doing my makeup and getting ready for the day, I would fit in about 5-10 minutes of just being present/meditating and then go on a walk for at least 10 minutes or so to get to where I need to go (and before going on the walk I make myself breakfast during the weekends). I also like to play music during this time entire time as well. I find that as long as I'm present and I'm not rushing through my routine that I'm pretty satisfied with it. I notice for things like journaling that I get more insights during the night and it's a nice way for me to wind down. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:59 AM, Yarco said:

It's easy, just get up xD

Seriously, when your alarm goes off, make yourself jump out of bed and don't make just laying there an option. It's just a choice.

No offense but this kind of sounds like how some people tell others that they are depressed and then the other people reply with *just be positive it's a choice.*

Edited by soos_mite_ah

11 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

No offense but this kind of sounds like how some people tell others that they are depressed and then the other people reply with *just be positive it's a choice.*

Yeah that kind of advice is nonsensical. 

There is truth there but it has no utility.