Phil King

Was the burning monk enlightened?

11 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

i think it was just a waste

the region got taken anyways

vv

1 minute ago, Kshantivadin said:

@PurpleTree  this photo is one of the most influential photos in history ;)

Yeah not a waste at all. Enormously powerful image. It’s actually on my vision board it strikes me so deeply. 

20 hours ago, Phil King said:

Was the monks consciousness while he was burning equivalent to an LSD or other psychedelic trip or was he just completely detached from his body. Also could Leo do this lol?

The-burning-monk-1963-small.jpg

Most likely yes. My guess is he was in an extreme samadhi state while burning, had been training intensive retreat level prior to the burning, and was deeply conscious in general. He knew what pain was. He knew he was not a body or mind. 

4 minutes ago, Kshantivadin said:

@PurpleTree  this photo is one of the most influential photos in history ;)

great pic but what did it help?

I wonder if he was conscious enough to not suffer from burning himself, why wasn't he conscious to solve his problem or make his point without having to resort to burning himself alive

I would say no due to the reason he burned himself was a strong reaction to what was going on in the pollical climate at the time. But, all we know is a picture (and I believe video) of a burning monk with a supposed story behind it. There is nor ever was an actual monk burning. What the image portray is strictly relative to what you wish to believe. 

As for enduring pain correlation is not causation in the terms of enlightenment. No matter how much pain he could endure, he could not endure the suffering of what was emotionally happening to him and his people.