Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raze

Young Dems more likely to despise the other party

11 posts in this topic

https://www.axios.com/poll-political-polarization-students-a31e9888-9987-4715-9a2e-b5c448ed3e5a.html

https://i.imgur.com/RhZjimb.jpeg

Nearly a quarter of college students wouldn't be friends with someone who voted for the other presidential candidate — with Democrats far more likely to dismiss people than Republicans — according to new Generation Lab/Axios polling.

Why it matters: Partisan divides — as each side inhabits parallel political, cultural and media universes —make a future of discord and distrust in the U.S. all the more likely.

By the numbers: 5% of Republicans said they wouldn't be friends with someone from the opposite party, compared to 37% of Democrats.

71% of Democrats wouldn't go on a date with someone with opposing views, versus 31% of Republicans.

30% of Democrats — and 7% of Republicans — wouldn't work for someone who voted differently from them.

Between the lines: Democrats argue that modern GOP positions, spearheaded by former President Trump — are far outside of the mainstream and polite conversation.

Some have expressed unyielding positions on matters of identity — including abortion, LGBTQ rights and immigration — where they argue human rights, and not just policy differences, are at stake.

Women are more likely than men to take a strong partisan stance in their personal choices.

41% of women would go on a date with someone who voted for the opposing candidate, compared to 67% of men.

76% of women would work for someone who voted for the other candidate, vs. 86% of men.

Just 68% of women — compared to 84% of men — would shop at or support the business of someone of the other party.

Edited by Raze

"Between the lines: Democrats argue that modern GOP positions, spearheaded by former President Trump — are far outside of the mainstream and polite conversation.

Some have expressed unyielding positions on matters of identity — including abortion, LGBTQ rights and immigration — where they argue human rights, and not just policy differences, are at stake."

How dare they despise us. 

I had a friend of mine from college who fell hook like and sinker in to the QAnon conspiracy rabbit hole. It was actually quite sad to see the toxicity of it affect his well being as he grew increasingly isolated and detached from reality. It was almost akin to seeing someone get sucked in to an abusive relationship, or develop a mental illness. I eventually ended up cutting ties with him.

And with Roe v. Wade likely to be overturned this year and reproductive rights taken away in much of the country as a result, it should be clear that rather than an abstract concept politics is something that ends up affecting people in thier day to day lives.

Not wanting to voluntarily associate with people who are trying to take away your rights or the rights of people close to you, is completely reasonable.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

This is why SDi is so helpful. The reason this is happening, is because the two sides are living in different realities. 

58 minutes ago, AdroseAkise said:

This is why SDi is so helpful. The reason this is happening, is because the two sides are living in different realities. 

I have quite a lot of friends at different stages. 

If the world views doesn't align, you just need to get better at communicating. There is quite a lot of content about that, that's one aspect a lot of people miss imo. 

Edited by BadHippie

It seems to me that a lot of "conservatives" think they are owed some sort of social respect or deference even as they stake out anti-social positions like

• refusing to comply with mask mandates or get vaccinated
  • rejecting Black Americans' demand for police accountability
  • respecting a woman's right to bodily autonomy
  • not using a trans person's proper pronouns, etc.

But the fact is that no one owes you anything. You get what you give, and if your interest is in "owning the libs" then you can expect people to think very little of you.

2 hours ago, AdroseAkise said:

Become a Spiral Wizard and befriend everyone.

haha... more of this please!

28 minutes ago, ZenRising said:

haha... more of this please!

Take that advice with caution though. Learn to distinguished good, moral, and upright BLUE, from people who surbscribe to neo-Fascism. They're both BLUE, but one is a higher quality than the other.

6 minutes ago, AdroseAkise said:

Take that advice with caution though. Learn to distinguished good, moral, and upright BLUE, from people who surbscribe to neo-Fascism. They're both BLUE, but one is a higher quality than the other.

I'll second this.

Understanding where people are coming from is incredibly useful, but that doesn't mean condoning toxic behavior (let alone inviting that behavior in to your social circle) just because someone's at an earlier stage of the Spiral.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

This is a result of the "us vs. them" mentality provided by social media and media in general. Unity is something that cannot be fathomed by most young people. It's really unfortunate