TrustTheProcess

Beige vs Purple

12 posts in this topic

Beige utilizes various techniques to keep a steady caloric intake, avoid immediate environmental threats etc. This may include tool use, advanced hunting techniques, planning etc. It's about the most basic aspects of survival.

Purple doesn't merely survive. It creates sophisticated narratives about the tribe and the environment, stories that seek to explain things like the origins of existence, the weather, the nature of animals, spirits, natural elements etc. 

There is a rich use of language and symbolism that informs cultural expression, social norms and rituals. However, there is a typical lack of ability to identify abstract properties across classes. Explanations are very specific, essence-oriented and magical (animism). It's about the spirit of the river, the wind, the sun, the earth, not elementary particles, physical forces or aggregate states (mechanism and determinism).

There also a lack of the concept of a linear progression of history and a very contracted sense of self. Time, the extent to which it is experienced, is cyclical and day-to-day. The world is experienced as constant and eternal, and the tribe is the world. There is no large scale planning of anything, like civilization building. These impulses don't arrive before agrarian Red where local resource scarcity gets replaced by up-scaled power disputes and tribal warfare.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Beige doesnt have a sense of self, its pre-conceptual. Like a baby.

Purple is really the first time you start to exist. Think back to when you were around 4 years old, thats Purple.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

Think back to when you were around 4 years old, thats Purple.

It's still really hard to imagine what true Purple is like. At 3-4 years old, you're a tribal creature embedded within a modern environment. It's a Purple experience of an Orange world. Try to imagine what a Purple experience is like within a Purple environment. Is that even possible? Even if you traveled to a Purple society today and lived there for 10 years, you would still have the same problem, just in reverse: it's an Orange experience of a Purple world. Our perceptual structures are shaped by experience, and with our current perceptual configuration, we cannot truly imagine an authentic Purple experience (maybe through past life memories).

15 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

It's still really hard to imagine what true Purple is like. At 3-4 years old, you're a tribal creature embedded within a modern environment. It's a Purple experience of an Orange world. Try to imagine what a Purple experience is like within a Purple environment. Is that even possible? Even if you traveled to a Purple society today and lived there for 10 years, you would still have the same problem, just in reverse: it's an Orange experience of a Purple world. Our perceptual structures are shaped by experience, and with our current perceptual configuration, we cannot truly imagine an authentic Purple experience (maybe through past life memories).

Thats a fair point. I agree. 

I guess I meant more like how you viewed the world, everything was magical or scary and very simplistic. You didnt know or care about the larger issues of society because you couldnt conceptualize them, its like you lived in a different reality. Theres a reason alot of people look back at early childhood as magical, it literally was! :) 

Edited by Rilles

@louhad Another thing you might want to look into is Piagets developmental model. Beige aligns well with the Sensorimotor stage while Purple aligns well with the Preoperational (Symbolic) stage. 

9CF40321-AB3E-4A40-AA03-487A879A6C00.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Theres a reason alot of people look back at early childhood as magical, it literally was! :) 

True, and now imagine this being magnified by the environment you live in: people performing shamanistic rituals, summoning spirits, chanting magic spells, going into trance states. Now that's magic :P 

10 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

True, and now imagine this being magnified by the environment you live in: people performing shamanistic rituals, summoning spirits, chanting magic spells, going into trance states. Now that's magic :P 

Hence why stage Green can be very attracted to that kind of stuff. Just look at an old-school rave, its just Purple 2.0. ;)

1 minute ago, Rilles said:

Hence why stage Green can be very attracted to that kind of stuff. Just look at an old-school rave, its just Purple 2.0. ;)

...until they go home and watch Seinfield :P 

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

...until they go home and watch Seinfield :P 

A show about Nothing(ness);)