Pavement

book to get my dad for christmas..??

14 posts in this topic

Can anyone reccomend me a good, thought provoking book for my 70 year old dad -  who isnt into personal development at all, is a huge loner who isolates himself from everyone and can't express his feelings. 

it shouldn't be an obvious self help book, but perhaps a book with a thought provoking message whether it be fiction or non fiction, maybe something to wake him up a bit.  He's always apathetic and has no interest in anything anymore and doesn't go out anywhere. so I want to try and rekindle some warmth in his life indirectly..

Edited by Pavement

The Alchemist

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

The Giver by Lois Lowry and what Rilles said.  Perhaps a gift basket with all the things in it that you remember that he likes?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.  Keep them coming :) 

18 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

The Alchemist

This one good. 

"The power of now" is probably the most beginner friendly spiritual book. And it's very powerful at the same time. 

Or give him a christian book if he's a christian. After all it's Christ-mas day.

Practising the power of now.

What he really needs is to be more present, more loving. 

Other books that I can think of is by Rhonda Bryne (going to get flamed lol)

14 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Siddhartha or Steppenwolf by hesse

Anything by Hesse is great. 

Check out "The Way of Being" by Joseph Knecht. The whole book is a conversation between Father and Son. ;) 

Forget about books just give him 4g of magic mushrooms. jk 

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggin is a good one  

On 12/6/2021 at 0:36 PM, Pavement said:

Can anyone reccomend me a good, thought provoking book for my 70 year old dad -  who isnt into personal development at all, is a huge loner who isolates himself from everyone and can't express his feelings. 

it shouldn't be an obvious self help book, but perhaps a book with a thought provoking message whether it be fiction or non fiction, maybe something to wake him up a bit.  He's always apathetic and has no interest in anything anymore and doesn't go out anywhere. so I want to try and rekindle some warmth in his life indirectly..

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Find your Unicorn Space by Eve Rodsky. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.