harisankartj

Getting Boring

4 posts in this topic

After watching Leos video on lifestyle minimalism,I tried reducing social activities,and spent more time just being and contemplating.While the feeling of presence is very pleasant,I feel like I have gotten boring. When I do engage with people I dont have ANYTHING good to say. Also nothing comes in my head.I did a  lot of meditation and its like I am not having thoughts and I cant think of anything except self contemplation.I cant even make a joke for crying out loud.It seems being isolated has left me uninteresting person with nothing to say except intellectual stuff.

This is also because I had lessened greatly my exposure to entertainment.Now I dont have anything to say...that includes all movies and fiction books.

Moreover I was planning to be a writer.But if I were to sit in a room all day and just BE.I wont have jack shit to write about.

sorry this was too long,but if anyone understands my situation gimme advice.

Thanks

Hey,

As a starting point, you may benefit from asking meaningful questions to others. We all appreciate having conversations with people who are genuinely interested in what you have to say. It's especially beneficial when that person creates a space for you to speak your mind without making you feel like you need to be fake and polite with your responses.

I also suffer from finding anything good to say to start off a conversation. Usual chit-chat such as recent gossip, what's on the news and (god-forbid) the weather makes me turn off completely from any conversation. The best conversations involve deepening connections with others and that usually involves asking them about their beliefs, emotions, problems, hobbies, relationships, and so on. The deeper the questions, the more the conversation will flow and the more you'll have to talk about.

Ask people about things you are passionate about and show a genuine interest in their responses. When you can have deep, meaningful connections with people, you'll feel so rewarded that you won't need to worry about feeling boring again. :-)

@Liam Johnson Thanks for the advice brother. The thing is there are very few people who are willing to have those kinds of talks.Most people just want to talk about sports and unimportant stuff.

Guess I got to find MY kind of people to connect with.

@harisankartj That's very true, it's difficult to get that kind of conversation going. Especially as you do this self-actualisation work, you might end up growing out of certain friendships and relationships. But at the same time, you're opening yourself up to make friendships based on what you really care about.

Keep at it mate :-)