Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The White Rabbit

Shadow Work and Painbody

27 posts in this topic

According to Tolle, the painbody is made of negative energy stored in the body as a result of past traumas and become entities in their own rights.

Until either ego transcendence or integration, these fragmented part of our personalities take possession of someone's thoughts and emotions through a trigger.

Here is quote by Eckhart Tolle which just caught my attention:

“The pain-body, which is the dark shadow cast by the ego, is actually afraid of the light of your consciousness. It is afraid of being found out. Its survival depends on your unconscious identification with it, as well as on your unconscious fear of facing the pain that lives in you. But if you don’t face it, if you don’t bring the light of your consciousness into the pain, you will be forced to relive it again and again.”

To me, it comes extremely close from this quote here by Carl Jung, who's known for popularizing shadow work:

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

― C.G. Jung

Does anyone have an idea how shadow work and the concept of painbody are connected together?

Shadow work seems to me basically focused on a technic on how to get the stored energy out through removing the veil between the conscious and the unconscious, while the painbody theory describes the possession of an individual through that energy. Any other thoughts?

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Does anyone have an idea how shadow work and the concept of painbody are connected together?

Noticing and becoming aware of your shadow will produce pain in the body, which needs to be released through sitting, feeling, accepting, and letting go

Your "shadow" being the aspects which you have suppressed throughout your life

yeah, they are the same. If you are not conscious of the pain of your pain body right now, it means that it is uncosncious.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

It's a bit like describing fear itself AS the monster under the bed. Sometimes characterizing it is helpful to realizing you create it and to help to take it less seriously. His name is Larry and he is very messy and overly fond of junk food. 

If you are feeling bad your thoughts are not clear or true. They are not to be taken seriously. There is no entity behind thoughts, there is no possessor of thought. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

23 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Belief… vs direct experience. Past & identity, as compared to this. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Much Love and deepest respect possible for full embodiment and your full service.

❤️?(Honestly I hate this emojis) Truth. 

33 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Zeroguy Love you brother. ?? Spread the word today. 

I don't like devilry and using enlightenment as some moral relativism tool  so I would avoid it.God ,well highest standards possible not what I see.I disagree as a man on so many stuff because I deeply feel them as wrong.

On 04/12/2021 at 5:40 AM, Mosess said:

Noticing and becoming aware of your shadow will produce pain in the body, which needs to be released through sitting, feeling, accepting, and letting go

Thank you for your answer, even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

I agree that getting stuff out of the shadow is rarely coming without uncomfortable sensations-

21 hours ago, okulele said:

yeah, they are the same. If you are not conscious of the pain of your pain body right now, it means that it is uncosncious.

Right, I think so too. The Shadow gives signs especially on trigger points, and the pain from the painbody get also activated in the same way. The Shadow seems to me more related to the mind based reason while the painbody is merely the emotional flavor/residue left.

One never knows why the painbody is there (what triggered it on the psychological level) but feel it.

18 hours ago, mandyjw said:

If you are feeling bad your thoughts are not clear or true. They are not to be taken seriously. There is no entity behind thoughts, there is no possessor of thought. 

This is true.

But the reality I am currently experiencing is not egoless, and I live with a false self with whom I am identified most of the time. The Shadow and Painbody, in these circumstances come as a valuable framework to work with for those who aren't operating at an enlightened level.

15 hours ago, Nahm said:

Belief… vs direct experience. Past & identity, as compared to this. 

This is true.

Same comment as above apply.

Though, reading your comment has caused me a momentary conceptual self concept annihilation earlier today. I totally freaked out at the end of the experience. ?Living without a self your usual daily life is a radical change and I got worried I couldn't sustain it without everything around me crumbling.

3 hours ago, Zeroguy said:

@Nahm Much Love and deepest respect possible for full embodiment and your full service.

❤️?(Honestly I hate this emojis) Truth. 

I second this.

@The White Rabbit @Zeroguy :x:x

18 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Living without a self your usual daily life is a radical change and I got worried I couldn't sustain it without everything around me crumbling.

There’s no change, sans less thinking / thought activity / confusion / discord / suffering. No self is not an achievement, nor a concern for a a self. 

In shifting focus away from believing the thought ‘I got worried’, or ‘I worry’… to the willingness to acknowledge & understand worrying is an emotion, which is felt now or not at all and never in a future… real-time live guidance which is telling you something so to speak, about the thoughts presently focused on in relation to what you want… is received… and inevitably… a great lion roars. 

19 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

One never knows why the painbody is there (what triggered it on the psychological level) but feel it.

This is true.

But the reality I am currently experiencing is not egoless, and I live with a false self with whom I am identified most of the time. The Shadow and Painbody, in these circumstances come as a valuable framework to work with for those who aren't operating at an enlightened level.

To be honest the painbody concept helped me, not to understand myself so much but to let go of some of my expectations for others behavior towards me. It was also very helpful for a close friend with her marriage. The concept helps you realize that they aren't volatile assholes, that they are believing a lot of thoughts about themselves that aren't true. It's a lot better label to put on someone than calling them a narcissist or giving them some other label. Sometimes a label or diagnosis helps us to let go of judgement about ourselves or others. Sometimes it is the judgment itself and holds the unwanted condition in place. For example the identity of being someone who experiences depression can create the resistance to it which IS the depression. The belief is that I am the one who is depressed, rather than "oh, that's a a thought that feels really off, ok, yuck, that's not true. Can I focus on something else, right now?? Ok, I'm going to really look at this tree as if I've never seen it before."

None of us can condone or condemn terms and labels. Just use words like tools, use them for good, not for smacking yourself with. Just don't get man with a hammer syndrome, and hold it over your own head, waiting for the hammer to fall.

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Nahm ROAR! :D

4 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@The White Rabbit @Zeroguy :x:x

There’s no change, sans less thinking / thought activity / confusion / discord / suffering. No self is not an achievement, nor a concern for a a self. 

But there was a change in experience. An uncharted territory until then on an empiric level. 

I agree there was no achievement there. The concern has probably been triggered by pragmatic consideration which got me to worried if my environment would still accept me and vice versa.

8 minutes ago, Nahm said:

In shifting focus away from believing the thought ‘I got worried’, or ‘I worry’… to the willingness to acknowledge & understand worrying is an emotion, which is felt now or not at all and never in a future… real-time live guidance which is telling you something so to speak, about the thoughts presently focused on in relation to what you want… is received… and inevitably… a great lion roars. 

A trigger inducing worrying as an emotion was too strong (too low on the emotional scale maybe?) and perhaps I still have too much stored emotions on this frequency in the body.

You also recommend to alchemize them out through expression...

What is that great lion? I didn't get it ?.

14 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@mandyjw :x

Speaking of great lions. 

12 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

@Nahm ROAR! :D

The rabbit is gonna hide back into its hole. xD

18 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

To be honest the painbody concept helped me, not to understand myself so much but to let go of some of my expectations for others behavior towards me. It was also very helpful for a close friend with her marriage. The concept helps you realize that they aren't volatile assholes, that they are believing a lot of thoughts about themselves that aren't true. It's a lot better label to put on someone than calling them a narcissist or giving them some other label. Sometimes a label or diagnosis helps us to let go of judgement about ourselves or others. Sometimes it is the judgment itself and holds the unwanted condition in place. For example the identity of being someone who experiences depression can create the resistance to it which IS the depression. The belief is that I am the one who is depressed, rather than "oh, that's a a thought that feels really off, ok, yuck, that's not true. Can I focus on something else, right now?? Ok, I'm going to really look at this tree as if I've never seen it before."

None of us can condone or condemn terms and labels. Just use words like tools, use them for good, not for smacking yourself with. Just don't get man with a hammer syndrome, and hold it over your own head, waiting for the hammer to fall.

How do you find a balance between this and spiritual bypassing? Don't you have a painbody and still a self-concept?

5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

But there was a change in experience. An uncharted territory until then on an empiric level. 

I agree there was no achievement there. The concern has probably been triggered by pragmatic consideration which got me to worried if my environment would still accept me and vice versa.

Change = experience. 

A trigger inducing worrying as an emotion was too strong (too low on the emotional scale maybe?) and perhaps I still have too much stored emotions on this frequency in the body.

Shift from the focus on thoughts about a self, to receiving the guidance of the emotion. 

You also recommend to alchemize them out through expression...

What is that great lion? I didn't get it ?.

You will, and it will rock reality. 

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

How do you find a balance between this and spiritual bypassing? Don't you have a painbody and still a self-concept?

Spiritual bypassing is just putting thinking over feeling. The only way I can bypass, resist or seperate is by thinking.  It's the same old thing, believing a thought that feels off over listening to the feeling. Spiritual bypassing itself could become a thought that isn't resonating, rather than a helpful term. I don't abide by rules. I don't live in time. I don't have a painbody or a self concept outside of practical thought and language but this isn't because I did anything to get rid of them, you already don't either. This is already the case, prior to thought, except for maybe there are thoughts believed that it is otherwise.

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

The rabbit is gonna hide back into its hole. xD

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go Alice? xD