unborn_chicken

Youtube removed the dislike count

99 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

Dailymotion is garbage. We need something better than Youtube. It has become way too corporate, sometimes when I search for something specific I get 100 big news channels with 100-1000 views as first result. It shucks. Its gonna go down the drain and turn undemocratic in the next 5 years. 

If anything, YouTube has become more democratic. 

YouTube is only getting better. 

Right wing garbage can find other less popular platforms actually. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I agree with the above posts that the most likely explanation is that powerful groups were getting a lot of dislikes.   It shows that power is sensitive to even something as mild as a dislike and illustrates the importance of  freedom of speech.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

52 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

If anything, YouTube has become more democratic. 

YouTube is only getting better. 

Right wing garbage can find other less popular platforms actually. 

FFu_3ZSWQAc5BHU.jpeg

Democracy

24 minutes ago, Opo said:

FFu_3ZSWQAc5BHU.jpeg

Democracy

Hahahahahaha xD

Maybe it is....... Social.... democracy? :P

@Opo youtube is doing a great job.  Don't like it, don't use it. Power of monopoly. You  think that people who like Youtube are going to stop using it especially when they make profit? Think again. Those who stop using youtube will eventually crawl back to it because there is no better alternative. Dailymotion? But that's a joke. All disgruntled folks can leave YouTube and still YouTube won't suffer and they're aware of this. 

That's the power of capitalism, consumerism and monopoly. Democracy or no democracy won't matter. This is Corporate. Either adjust or be dumped by it. 

Majority learns to adjust like majority is adjusting to Biden and to the tragic defeat of Trump. 

YouTube is laughing it's way to the bank. And so is all social media. Power of the people. 

7 minutes ago, unborn_chicken said:

Maybe it is....... Social.... democracy? :P

Democracy was always social!

@Jodistrict

1 hour ago, Jodistrict said:

I agree with the above posts that the most likely explanation is that powerful groups were getting a lot of dislikes.   It shows that power is sensitive to even something as mild as a dislike and illustrates the importance of  freedom of speech.  

Yes, finally someone is addressing the issue directly. Users, instead of making appeals to lack of alternatives, predatory capitalism and to sunk cost fallacy for the majority, suggest what can be done to make the count ratio more useful instead of galloping to other points that seem related but are rabbit holes leading to nowhere. So far, my suggestions have way more merit than what I've seen so far. Come on self actualisers. 

personally i like the change. i remember seeing an argument that dislikes were a good indication to tell you which content is good/bad for both the creator in terms of feedback and for the viewer in terms of judging quality (but like/dislike ratio isn't a perfect indicator of quality contact) 

but people use dislikes as a method for bullying and i think a lot of people get really negatively impacted by it. it wouldnt affect me as much as an adult, but for children without the best coping skills i know dislikes can be heavily influential/impactful. 

it's definitely hard for me to decide but i think i have to go with the latter. im sure there are another ways of gaining feedback/ judging quality

Edited by Jacob Morres

1 hour ago, Jacob Morres said:

personally i like the change. i remember seeing an argument that dislikes were a good indication to tell you which content is good/bad for both the creator in terms of feedback and for the viewer in terms of judging quality (but like/dislike ratio isn't a perfect indicator of quality contact) 

but people use dislikes as a method for bullying and i think a lot of people get really negatively impacted by it. it wouldnt affect me as much as an adult, but for children without the best coping skills i know dislikes can be heavily influential/impactful. 

it's definitely hard for me to decide but i think i have to go with the latter. im sure there are another ways of gaining feedback/ judging quality

@Jacob Morres  In that case, I feel like they should have just removed dislikes altogether. Creators can still see how many dislikes their videos have received, so I don't think that takes away the problem of dislikes being used to bully others.

1 hour ago, Peter-Andre said:

@Jacob Morres  In that case, I feel like they should have just removed dislikes altogether. Creators can still see how many dislikes their videos have received, so I don't think that takes away the problem of dislikes being used to bully others.

maybe but according to their research they say it has good impact 

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/update-to-youtube/

i agree though i do want to see their rational based off what you said 

Edited by Jacob Morres

5 hours ago, Peter-Andre said:

Yea, what if they left the dislike but made it unable to click on it?

Then the creators would still think that they are getting objective criticism but it would be all likes so they would feel great. 

@Peter-Andre

11 hours ago, Peter-Andre said:

If creators can still see dislikes, ok then. It just gets problematic when the creator can't even see the dislikes in their own video.

20 hours ago, Opo said:

FFu_3ZSWQAc5BHU.jpeg

Democracy

Hahaha love this meme.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

If you don't like what someone creates, create your own. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw

2 hours ago, mandyjw said:

If you don't like what someone creates, create your own. 

That'd not the main issue. the main issue is whether a company has the right to give a blanket punishment of the majority of the community for the actions of the minority. For example, this whole start of the removal of dislikes from videos started off when a minor group of dislike attackers attacked politically based YouTube videos regarding Donald Trump's and Joe Biden's inauguration into the white house. There might also be dislike attacks regarding Covid Procedures as well in YouTube,  so as a result those organizations slightly threatened by the disproportionate dislike ration reached out to YouTube company to sort it out, and they just did, except instead of giving localized punishment's against the trolls and dislike attackers they punish the majority of the YouTube community by removing the right to view the dislike count, while maintaining the right to view the likes count. It's a subtle issue, but it's a serious issue if YouTube doesn't correct it's blanket approach. I've already posted what I think is the solution for YouTube, instead of removing dislike counts from all YouTubers, just give a pop up window asking for explanation and feed back on what the YouTube viewer thinks needs improving. It's ridiculous to effect all members when the real issue is with the few, or just one member.

The key question that should be answered in this thread is: Should an entire community suffer from the actions of a few of it's members? I have yet to hear a solid answer for this. What YouTube did was questionable, and it's not the best solution to the problem.

Years ago i started to feel discussion forums with a dislike button often proved worse than the rest, then on i realized an inverse situation could also occur elsewhere which ain't more desirable:  those "love" points were actually fanboy credentials artificially created/inflated to boost some impression of a bogus image until it's all that remains to be seen - a mirage, in quite too many cases anyway.  On YouTube it's still not rare today to observe erasure of perfectly civilized comments so i'd say this was only one preliminary step, go figure what's next and get prepared.  M'well, if you must...