unborn_chicken

Youtube removed the dislike count

99 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Leo Gura

But Leo! You have a YouTube channel. Doesn't this concern you a little bit what the implications of removing the dislike count?

I removed dislikes on this forum a long time ago, and never regretted it.

Notice how your mind is so addicted to negativity that you even become negative when your freedom to spew negativity is taken away.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Isnt there a bigger chance for Youtube viewers to fall into mob delusions when there are no anchors to guide them? A Trump video with 50/50 dislikes is actually a good thing because it tells you that some people are skeptical while having no dislikes makes everything more vague. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

The only good use I got out of dislikes was when watching tutorials on YouTube.

Makes it easy to spot low quality or scam.

So the dislikes were not all negative.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Notice how your mind is so addicted to negativity that you even become negative when your freedom to spew negativity is taken away.

Clicking a dislike button when you genuinely didn't like a video = Spewing negativity.

Flawless reasoning. Can't argue with that.

Just now, QandC said:

Lol who cares

I care about the epistemological outcome on a collective level.

@unborn_chicken

25 minutes ago, unborn_chicken said:

Clicking a dislike button when you genuinely didn't like a video = Spewing negativity.

Flawless reasoning. Can't argue with that.

In general, most can't argue or be logical in this forum nowadays. Most people have varying degrees of skill in being logical as well, so long as they don't emote too much in posts in general there shouldn't be too much backlash at all.

3 minutes ago, QandC said:

@Rilles alright but in the end it's just a button you click with no value whatsoever. 

Whats better?

1. 50% hate Hitler and tell you to stay away from him. 50% like him.

2. 50% like Hitler and you have to find out for yourself if hes good or bad. 

And then lets say youre young and have low epistemological skill. This is exactly what happens on social media. 

@Danioover9000

14 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

In general, most can't argue or be logical in this forum nowadays. Most people have varying degrees of skill in being logical as well, so long as they don't emote too much in posts in general there shouldn't be too much backlash at all.

Dude this forum is deep, deep into ideology. I don't even take it seriously anymore.

Dating forum = Pickup forum
Politics forum = Left progressivism forum

And if you're not into those things basically you're not a cool kid.

There's not even room for healthy debate and trying to find middle grounds between different POVs. So much for radical open-mindedness. xD

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

Isnt there a bigger chance for Youtube viewers to fall into mob delusions when there are no anchors to guide them? A Trump video with 50/50 dislikes is actually a good thing because it tells you that some people are skeptical while having no dislikes makes everything more vague. 

Lmao this is hilarious. 

Now videos like this can only be seen as positive. 

1 hour ago, ItsNick said:

The only good use I got out of dislikes was when watching tutorials on YouTube.

Makes it easy to spot low quality or scam.

So the dislikes were not all negative.

Click the link I posted on page 2 or type in google "return youtube dislikes" and download the extension. 

It returns yt back to normal. 

You guys can still be negative, but now it takes a little more to elaborate ?. 

Or just comment " Dislike "and have others thumb it up lol

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

3 minutes ago, mmKay said:

You guys can still be negative, but now it takes a little more to elaborate ?. 

Or just comment " Dislike "and have others thumb it up lol

And boost the video in the algorithm?

How dare you. 

@Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I'm not arguing for the trolls and people who engage in dislike attacks and those that spew negativity, my case is with having the right to use a metric system to rate a YouTube video as a member of the YouTube community, or as a YouTube content  creator. The reason why I'm for rating this way is because there's more utility in rating due to the following:

1. You immediately get the gist as to the value of a video. The like:dislike ratio does show the viewer the popularity of said topic, and whether or not the topic is a positve or negative. If the likes are higher, you go in with the framing of finding out why the video is liked that much, and same for the dislikes being higher, you also want to find out why they don't  like the video. By removing the dislike count, you go in assuming that the video is overall positive due to the view count and likes count, but sometimes that creates a false sense of expectation.

2. You have less framing to make sense of the title, thumbnail and topic of the video. Before the dislike count was removed, the Youtuber could pre judge the quality of the video from looking at all those factors, from pre viewing the video if previews are enabled, and looking at the ratio count. Without the dislike count, there's once again a false sense of positivity to a video, and if videos don't have a preview, the viewer/youtuber is limited to watching the videos and decided for themselves, investing a bit more time when they could have otherwise.

3. The current practice of censorship is mirroring current politics too much and their ways of censorship. By forcing YouTube members to not dislike a video and only like a video is similar to being forced to vote for certain political groups, but not being able to vote for other groups, or not being able to have a referendum and to re-count votes. YouTube members with legitimate criticism to a video now have to comment about that, but this is ineffective due to the rate of comments, the like/dislike comments and sometimes comments being hidden or lost in the scrolling, along with mixing technically worded comments with other types of comments is inefficient to feedbacks.

I've already posted a revision of YouTube's rating system, that for YouTube members only, they have to fill a brief questionnaire and explain why they liked/disliked the video to validate the count. The reasons why I think this is good is for the following:

1. This creates accountability and self knowledge. The YouTube member knows what he/she likes and dislikes in a video, and the YouTube content creator knows what to improve upon. The staff also can use those feedbacks to further tailor and improve their A.I.

2. This encourages articulation of thinking about a video.

3. Some members don't want their constructive comments to be public and be down voted or up voted ridiculously. So, to rectify this, the feedback you provide prior to giving a like/dislike count is private and only viewable to the content creator, A.I and YouTube staff. This keeps the general comments section general and not mixed with technical constructive feedback.

I think my solution will overall improve YouTube, if YouTube is open to my solution. Also, While I may have a degree of addiction to negativity, you claiming that I am and my mind is negativity addict is uncharitable and bad faith and bears little in actually refuting my post in merit alone. That's bad faith in attacking my character instead of my points. Bad! So please refute me based on my points, or enlighten me to why my view is lacking something. Assuming that my posting is largely negatively driven is also false, because I'm posting out of some concern for YouTube, and to have a discussion that's cohesive to me.

But like I said before, I don't condone trolling and dislike attacks. I condone articulation of thinking instead, and the merits of it.

@Rilles Maybe I have no idea who Hitler is, then I'll have to watch the damn video (which is the purpose of YouTube) and judge for myself, and make up my own opinion. 

People are so damn sensitive these days, like "OoOOh noo they removed the dislike count, what a horrible discrimination of my freedom as an individual" geez...

Edited by QandC

@QandC

14 minutes ago, QandC said:

@Rilles Maybe I have no idea who Hitler is, then I'll have to watch the damn video (which is the purpose of YouTube) and judge for myself, and make up my own opinion. 

People are so damn sensitive these days, like "OoOOh noo they removed the dislike button, what a horrible discrimination of my freedom as an individual" geez...

As a member of the YouTube community, which doesn't extend to an individual's freedom of speech. I wouldn't conflate the two as equivalent.

I know... I don't get it.  This is getting into weird territory.  Sometimes I'm scrolling through and dislikes helps me chose a video to watch, it's vague now and I don't like that so much.  Fortunately I have my algorithms trained for only high consciousness material.

If I didn't have a taste for what I was looking for already, though, not having this option doesn't help.  I don't care about the rare instances of trolling the dislike feature.  Content creators should have the option to remove the button individually.  

Edited by Loba

@QandC

10 minutes ago, QandC said:

@Danioover9000 Ok.

I think it's great that it's gone, less negativity and more happiness yaaay! :D Also gets rid of many trolls 

?‍♀️ Removing the dislike count doesn't incentivise less trolling and negativity. The video would still be misleading anyways.

Can't wait for YouTube to remove the flag button next, cuz we don't need the flag anymore!