unborn_chicken

Youtube removed the dislike count

99 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, unborn_chicken said:

@Preety_India Oh jesus.... Please don't be so naive.

If that was really the reason the coul've easily made it optional, as I said.

Maybe you are hinting at censorship. 

Given the deluge of right wing trolling on YouTube, I'm not surprised at the amount of censorship we are going to be witnessing on major platforms. 

This was bound to happen. It's Trump effect. If you hate Trump, he becomes more popular. It's the same thing. The more people try to attack and demonize the left and liberals, the more freedom of speech will get censored.. 

This applies to almost anything, it's basic human psychology. If you misused welfare from the government, the government makes it stricter to get access to it or stops paying it altogether. If people misuse freedom of speech to create riots and violence, freedom of speech will be taken away by heavy censorship. This will happen every time. 

The same thing is happening on YouTube. They have to remove freedom of speech because too many videos are being trolled by the right wing. 

Facebook is already heavily censored. 

You can boycott the media. Ironically it doesn't work. 

So what YouTube did is nothing unpredictable or unprecedented. It was bound to happen. 

Expect heavy censorship on all platforms in the future. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

30 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I welcome this move from YouTube. Many young content creators suffer when they get unnecessary dislikes on their videos from haters and trolls. It impacts their business negatively.. 

And then the trolls jump to comments instead which is even worse, and if you get rid of that too there’s nothing to evaluate the progress you’re making. If you’re going to be a content creator you have to face criticism, if you try to avoid criticism your whole life you’ll never grow and will be akin to an infant who wants their cake and eat it too. 

@Preety_India You're still not tackling how unreasonable it is to not have made it optional, and honestly I don't really think you want to lol...

2 minutes ago, Ry4n said:

And then the trolls jump to comments instead which is even worse, and if you get rid of that too there’s nothing to evaluate the progress you’re making. If you’re going to be a content creator you have to face criticism, if you try to avoid criticism your whole life you’ll never grow and will be akin to an infant who wants their cake and eat it too. 

I think you knew the difference between criticism and trolling. 

2 minutes ago, unborn_chicken said:

@Preety_India You're still not tackling how unreasonable it is to not have made it optional, and honestly I don't really think you want to lol...

Optional is a good idea in my opinion. I'm not really against it, especially for new content creators that would be great. 

Just now, Preety_India said:

Optional is a good idea in my opinion. I'm not really against it, especially for new content creators that would be great. 

And yet, you still welcome their move.

@Ry4n

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Osaid

What are they thinking, just removing the dislike button? So, what's their problem exactly? Because if I don't like a video, and can't dislike the video, then that leaves the comment section. I give constructive critic if I want, but some would leave general negative comments, and some more negative. The main issue though is that by removing a dislike count, while not removing the like count, there's no immediate feedback for the content creator in terms of count ratio, and the content creator has to sort out the comments section much more instead of looking at the count to quickly determine if the topic was a hit or miss.

If they want to improve this particular issue, just look at what some chess websites do. Instead of reporting a user trolling or cheating, they have to give an explanation first before reporting. Likewise, if you wanted to dislike the video, a pop up window asking you why you disliked the video and which parts you didn't like would come up and you have to give your explanation before the count is enabled. The reason why I find this valuable is because you have to articulate what you disliked about the video, and that explanation could be useful for not just the content creator, but for self knowledge of the commenter, and the YouTube algorithms learning . The same could be said for likes count as well. I see this as benefitting both the commenter and the YouTube content creator. However, by restricting the commenter's right to give a dislike at all, is not the way to go for me, because if you force an option away like this, the commenter and content creator's ignorance persists much longer.

This is my view, so feel free to share yours on whether mine is valid or not.

9 minutes ago, Ry4n said:

That'll be more apparent in the future going from here. This is why I proposed that each click of the like/dislike button, a window appears with some questions about the video and why you liked/disliked it. Questionnaires tend to slow things done in general, which can also discourage trolling and dislike attacks, because you'll have to keep filling out that questionnaire and explaining why you liked/disliked the video.

Edited by Danioover9000

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I think you knew the difference between criticism and trolling. 

Just ignore the trolls, if they’re spamming you can report them. If one cares what a troll thinks they need a backbone. 

20 minutes ago, unborn_chicken said:

And yet, you still welcome their move.

On a gross level, I welcome this move because it discourages trolling on a massive scale as not every YouTuber is aware of options. I myself wasn't aware of different options in the beginning.. 

However that being said, making it optional for those who want it is a good idea. 

Maybe people who really wish to see dislikes on their videos (I'm giggling hard), can write a special note to YouTube, maybe like a button that you click and then the dislikes get activated. Who knows, YouTube might implement it in the future. 

I really want to know who are the people who wish to see dislikes on their videos. 

Now playing devil's advocate. 

There is a drawback to this policy as well. And that is when something really objectionable is being said or promoted in a video, people should have the full freedom to submit dislikes, it would probably even help YouTube in barring such videos as well as discourage people from viewing. 

This happened to me quite often where I clicked on a YouTube and I couldn't believe it because there was so much disinformation in the video that I was left to wonder whether to believe it or not, yet when I saw the dislikes, I was relieved to find that people echoed the same sentiment as I did. 

I see that as a potential drawback. 

Edited by Preety_India

4 minutes ago, Ry4n said:

Just ignore the trolls, if they’re spamming you can report them. If one cares what a troll thinks they need a backbone. 

Actually you can block them but I'm not exactly sure if you can remove their dislikes. Not sure of that. 

@unborn_chicken to be frank, every YouTuber is going to love this. Because secretly nobody wants dislikes on their videos. Just imagine. 

The cynicism, small-mindedness, and sense of aggrievement you guys display is not becoming of people doing self-actualization work.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Removing the dislike count was incredibly fucking annoying. It was a genuinely useful feature, especially for practical videos if you want want to gauge quickly if a video is worth your time.

targeted attacks might sometimes be a thing, but also seems like an excuse when most people just didn’t like the video 

Let's give him 20k likes by end of the year?

Let's give Trump more likes too since he already stepped down?

I usually use the comment section to check if it is a good video. Mostly the new comments. That gives a better understanding. 

Other thing is people will filter content through their trusted creators. That way they will avoid the risk of watching stuff they do not want to watch.

You can still kind of gauge the popularity if you look at the like/views ratio. For example a video with 100k views and 1k likes is not a popular video. You have to use your brain a bit harder. 

I hate the change though. Its annoying as fuck.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Leo Gura

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The cynicism, small-mindedness, and sense of aggrievement you guys display is not becoming of people doing self-actualization work.

But Leo! You have a YouTube channel. Doesn't this concern you a little bit what the implications of removing the dislike count?

12 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

The main issue though is that by removing a dislike count, while not removing the like count, there's no immediate feedback for the content creator in terms of count ratio, and the content creator has to sort out the comments section much more instead of looking at the count to quickly determine if the topic was a hit or miss.

No, it's just not visible to the viewer. The creators still see it in YouTube Studio and can make adjustments on their side.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.