Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alfonsoo

Any good safety info on Sous Vide and plastic bags?

7 posts in this topic

For those who don’t know , sous vide is a cooking technique where you vacuum seal whatever you’re gonna cook (in a plastic bag) and throw it in a container filled with water and a special circulator heats the it and creates convection. So the steak is cooked perfectly and evenly to a precise temperature.

Howeveeeer, using a plastic bag is very sketchy. Supposedly there are special ones that don’t leach any chemicals but it still seems dangerous. All the info I seem to find online seems very bias towards it being safe. Maybe someone here has some better more serios stuff. And maybe someone knows a plastic free alternative to the bag because the sous vide really kicks ass. 

I’ve seen some use silicone bags (like those waste free ziplock style bags) but idk about silicon either. Can it be safely heated?

Edited by Alfonsoo

Sounds like a horrible idea. Endocrine disruptor cocktail. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Use an oven? Sear it on cast iron pan and finish it in the oven. 

33 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Sounds like a horrible idea. Endocrine disruptor cocktail. 

Yes. And I just found some article about silicone and it seems to have the same problems. It just requires higher temps (and lipid compounds). Specially dangerous with all the cheap adulterated silicone going around

https://3dinsider.com/silicone-safety/?amp

Edited by Alfonsoo

Back when I worked at burger king a big plastic bag from the nuggets fell into the fryer. It disintegrated into the oil. The manager didn't care and I am sure a lot of food went out that was cooked in that for the day. This kind of reminds me of that lol. 

I would avoid even heating your food on a plastic tray in the microwave. So much plastic gets into your body as it is. Plastic is potentially linked to all sorts of things like diabetes and cancer. Not to mention, when you are heating it up like that you are causing other chemical reactions and making it easier for it to leech into your foods. 

I doubt you will find any hard facts on this issue, but I would just avoid this method of cooking entirely. Cooking in heated plastic is a very bad idea.

You should really only be cooking in stainless steel, glass, or 100% ceramic cookware.

Oven is great, just use stainless steel pans instead of aluminum.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

This is no good. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.