hugoalfven

Social media

6 posts in this topic

Does social media these days like tik tok, Insta make people more fake, self-absorbed and superficial  as well as encourage narcissism? What do you think ? I have noticed that many youtube and Instagram influencers have these traits and behaviors.

Edited by hugoalfven

I think the word narcissism gets thrown around too much these days. Yes it does point to a problem, but I don’t think defaulting to the word helps explain anything. Social media can make people more self-absorbed but being self absorbed isn’t synonymous with narcissism. 

I think the bigger problem with social media is there’s just so much crap and cheap entertainment on it that it can be a huge waste of time and it lowers consciousness. 

"You Create Magic" 

Theres a talk with Tristan harris and Daniel Schmachtenberger with joe rogan, I highly recommend you to listen to it to get a better understanding of the social media phenomenon as a current culture development. 

its much more dangerous left un-monitored than just promoting narssaistic behavior (basically the most eye grabbing content you can put). It goes much deeper than that into missing up the fabric of society.

Edited by Happy Lizard

It's funny to think that all this has exploded in the last 12 years or so. Life without an internet connection has become almost impossible. Documentaries such as the social dilemma are begining to bring to light some of the deep issues with it. I find it amazing how fast as a society we've all adopted these technologies, how dependant we are on them and how little we actually know about how the internet affects us. 

Personally I've grown up with technology and I feel that as much as I've gained from it I've also lost. Vital skills such as socializing I never fully developed because I found the internet an easy escape. At times I wish it never existed but it seems the internet is here to stay. I believe that we should do more to regulate the internet and teach people about its dangers.

Absolutely.

The line between reality and the internet has been blurred considerably these past few years.

I think that it makes our narcissistic traits more visible, you know, shit floats on the water and all this kind of stuff