Ineedanswers

Any thoughts about David goggins?

32 posts in this topic

I am curious about your thoughts about David goggins.could you’ll share them? Do you’ll admire his lifestyle or?

I think he has been stuck in stage Blue mentality, but most of what he talks about are kinda useful for many of us. I mean the kind of discipline that he provokes many of us are lacking in our lives. But living like that your whole life, I don't know how healthy that would be.

I don't think that Goggins will find inner peace the way he approaches life.

Agree he's not especially 'spirally evolved' however, his feats are amazing nonetheless. 

We could all use an element of his discipline in life, especially modern young people where our brains have been fried in the digital age. 

Not saying go run ultramarathons, but developing a healthy diet, workout routine, work schedule etc will help a lot of people. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I listened to his book Can't Hurt Me and I would recommend it. I also liked the podcast with Rich Roll of a couple of years back.

He lived a pretty rough life, hit serious lows, and responded to that with incredible will power, discipline, and fortitude. Personally I'm quite fed up with the Navy Seals stories, but if you never dip your toes in that field, it's worth looking what there is there. He's certainly a good role model for Stage Blue qualities, similar to Jocko Willink.

From him you can learn to go from apathy and stagnation to action. It won't lead you much higher, just approach as you would any teaching: take what's good (=broader lessons for life and inspiration) and what resonates in a deep way, and don't get hung up on the rest, i.e. his extreme lifestyle.

I started listening to his Audiobook and skimmed some podcasts. I don't agree he is very stage blue in person his activties might be considered more stage blue. I feel you can certainly see that he is cognitively somewhere around Green and Orange as with the mindset approach and your mind beign able to overcome almost everything as well as some stage yellow charateristic. Easily dismissing him to stage blue is sheer myopia imo. 

I just don't think he has anything to do with spirituality and self-transcedence in terms of spirituality. You can easily frame in to stage yellow.

• Yellow recognises life’s natural hierarchies and systems.
  • Yellow understand that change is constant.

• Yellow is a lone-wolf.

• Yellow values self-actualisation.

• Yellow will penetrate the real core of an issue; it has no interest in surface-level solutions.

• Yellow has no regard for rank, status or power. (Never had that sense of him beign that way)

• Yellow values big-picture understanding and are masters at connecting the dots within. ( I do feel he values the big picture)

Overcoming his self doubt etc. Unsure what is really blue about him denigrating him as some stage blue ethnocentric Nazi absolutist is sheer myopia. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

Stay away from his books

Everyone has a capacity for taking stress.some have greater capacity than us.instead of moving far out of comfort zone and pushing yourself far ,what u should do is go gently and move according to your ability and according to your nature

not really feeling him, of what i've heard from him

also don't really care for jocko willinks and all those other "tough guys"

it's basically military talk imo

whenever those types are on jre i skip

he's right advocating that pushing physically helps with pushing mentally. for example, I can work better and longer after almost a year doing daily cold showers or going to a gym when not feeling like it or when it's cold and windy outside. physical and mental are deeply connected;  physical challenge translates to the mind in a powerful way.

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

He's too extreme, especially stuff about running on broken legs that will do more damage than good long-term. But most people are also too lazy and undisciplined on the other end of the spectrum. I think most people would improve their lives if they listened to him and even moved 20% in his direction.

His advice is good if your life needs RADICAL transformation. Like if you're so obese that you're almost certain to have a heart attack in the next 5 years, it's probably better to take the Goggins approach and literally starve yourself down to a healthy weight as fast as possible, rather than stay on the path that you're on. Or if you're living in your 20s at home with your parents just smoking weed all day and haven't had a job in a decade.

There are people who have accumulated so much bad karma from their past actions that extreme suffering is the only way to burn through it. For every extra calorie you ate in the past, it's a calorie in the future you'll have to go without to balance it back out. If you haven't exercised in years, that's a lot of exercise to make up for to get healthy again.

Edited by Yarco

Goggins is great. i bought his book (didn't like it too much, but it had some sound principles pertaining to toughening up ones mind).

I really respect his story and journey. He's a good and healthy example of Stage Blue/Orange.

David Goggins is the real life Rocky Balboa. He is one of the few who really follows Leo’s One Simple Rule To Ace Life: “Always do what is most emotionally difficult.”

On the other hand, he has a grinding mentality as opposed to a flow mentality. 

Edited by r0ckyreed

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

He's useful as far as getting you out of a lazy rut and start pushing yourself. But that's about it.

Too try-hard.

Gotta learn to chill the fuck out. Where are you running to when there's nowhere to go?

He reminds me of a hamster in a wheel on meth.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If he'd apply that attitude towards self inquiry, contemplation and meditation he would be awesome. Like amazing awesome. Or at least some art and creativity. 

But instead hes busy whipping his own ass. Don't get me wrong, it's better than being a couch potato but he could grow so much more if he manged let go of his pride in masochism.

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

3 minutes ago, mmKay said:

If he'd apply that attitude towards self inquiry, contemplation and meditation he would be awesome.

Even there he would have to learn to chill out, relax, and let go.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just imagine where he’d go if he applied his mindset in consciousness work... 

I don’t think he knows about its existence. Marketing delimits your reality. If only he was exposed to such material. Open-mindedness is also needed of course.

Seems pretty standard Orange to me, his motivational speeches are platitudes I have heard a million times, "work hard" "dont stop" "start today" etc etc etc etc etc.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

''...over there is where the fucking answers are, and I wouldn't listen to that because over there was pain...''

That sentence changed my trajectory.